Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM

112 posts, read 285,594 times

Advertisements

Approximately three week ago I was offered a job with a company via a recruiter. It was a verbal job offer only. Its a long story on how this came about, but basically I interviewed for one position in this particular department, but it was given to someone internally. However, the people at the company liked me so much they wanted to offer me another position doing the same thing, but the job wouldn't be open for another two weeks. According to the recruiter, they have someone there but he/she's not working out and they have to let him/her go. I am not sure why it takes two weeks to do this, but whatever.

Two weeks on the dot I contact the recruiter to find out what's going on, the recruiter said they haven't heard from the business as to when this person's last day will be, but I was told the recruiter would contact the business and let me know. This was a Wednesday. I didn't hear anything on Thursday, so I wrote the recruiter and received a response that they haven't spoke to the business but when they do they will let me know.

We are going on week three now. I wrote the recruiter Monday of this week, no response. I called the recruiter yesterday, no response. I e-mailed the person that met me at the business for my in person interview, no response. I tried calling the recruiter today, no answer (I did not leave a message). I called the other person and did leave a message saying I feel like I am in the dark about what's going on. I have yet to hear back.

I really wish I could let this go, but when you tell me something, I expect you to follow through, because if the table were turned, they would expect the same thing.

This recruiter cannot tell me they have not been in contact with the business in three weeks????

Any thoughts on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Don't fully trust recruiters. They are very busy people and unless you are going to make them money they will not make you a priority. They might not have heard back or have any new updates and that is why they aren't responding. A lot of times when businesses use recruiters they are too busy to find people themselves so they actually just may be swamped. Sometimes the process can take weeks or longer. I'd keep searching if I were you as this isn't a done deal or set in stone.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would keep looking until I get something in writing.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM

@sav858, thank you very much. I didn't think of it that way, the business being too busy to handle things themselves so they go outside to have someone else do their job.

But am I wrong in how I am feeling?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
@sav858, thank you very much. I didn't think of it that way, the business being too busy to handle things themselves so they go outside to have someone else do their job.

But am I wrong in how I am feeling?
You're not wrong in how you feel, but the reality is it does take a long time sometimes. One time in the past, I had multiple phone/in-person interviews set up by a recruiter (at three different companies). She was VERY aggressive at first to get me the job, but once she found out none of the companies were in a hurry to hire, the recruiter basically went M.I.A. and returned calls/e-mails very intermittently. The reality is I just wasn't a high priority to her anymore since I wasn't going to get placed quickly.

The good thing is that eventually I got one of the jobs (it took a few months), and by the time I got a job, I was dealing with a completely new recruiter (the old recruiter had taken a job elsewhere, and was only working as a recruiter to use as a stepping stone to another job).

My advice (like sav said): Stay with it, and keep trying to get feedback from the recruiter, but definitely keep looking while you wait. It might be a little while before anything comes together.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
this happened with my husband several years ago: an outside recruiting company offered him, verbally a job; long story, short, it didn't come about. Apparently the recruiter and the company never totally agreed on the salary.

My daughter had a similar situation with a major company's recruiting dept. They wined her, dined her, etc. She was told over and over, we want you, want you, want you. She did have constant contact with the recruiter via the phone and email. After about 6 months she just decided to forget the whole thing.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:41 AM

WOW! The stories about recruiters. I don't know how people live with themselves doing this to other people. Do they forget about the human aspect and just say, "Its my job"? I hope I never get that heartless, because when I do I will be a recruiter myself.

Thank you both @Hockeymac and @nmita for your stories.

I really do want to work for this company (not for the recruiter, but the actually company they sent me to) and I saw another job opened there. Is it OK for me to apply for that job? I looked it over and I am definitely qualified for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Absolutely apply! It sends a message that you are still looking. The hiring manager behind the current curtain may make a move if s/he hears that another manager might hire you.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Absolutely apply! It sends a message that you are still looking. The hiring manager behind the current curtain may make a move if s/he hears that another manager might hire you.
Very good point and nice chess move. Let's hope its a checkmate.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM

134 posts, read 276,159 times
A few years ago I interviewed at a financial firm. After the second interview they had me sign forms for employment.

Never heard from them again. After many calls to the guy that hired me he finally said there was a hiring moratorium. 6 months later the company was dissolved.

This was a legit company that was around for nearly 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search