Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM

433 posts, read 1,364,408 times

Advertisements

Would they be turned off by a job candidate who lived really far from them? What are the reasons though? If the candidate had a problem with the travel time, they wouldn't have bothered applying in the first place. Is it so they can call someone to work at the last minute if someone doesn't show? I applied to a few job openings that would take a little more than an hour to get to the location and don't hear anything from them.

Any employers here can give me their thoughts on the issue?

Forgot to mention: Is the candidate travelling by public transportation also a concern for employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,275,762 times
Living in the worst area in the country as far as traffic goes, a 20mile drive can equate to a 40min+ drive one way. So I believe my employer understands that traffic is bad for just about everyone, everywhere. They cant rule people out due to distance, because everyone deals with the traffic issues one way or another.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,400,318 times
Welcome to the struggle. I remember applying for a dishwasher job at a seafood restaurant in the summer, and halfway through the online application you had to input your drivers license #. It was required, a regular ID wouldn't work and you couldn't skip it. I had to give up on the application. I was very shocked to see this requirement because I had no license at the time. I do now. But given how basic the job was, I was wondering why they were doing that. I would hate to be a young kid and try applying for this, and not being able to continue the application. This was a first for me. This is why paper applications and doing things IN PERSON is so much better and always will be. What if someone had a bicycle or took the bus? Or got rides? Or walked? It's really dissapointing. Millions of people all over this country starving for work, and there is nothing but regulations, bureaucracy, and being told they "aren't qualified" to stock shelves.

Last edited by parried; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM

12,061 posts, read 23,092,364 times
My brother applied for an engineering position and they continually brought up their concern that he would have a 45 minute commute, so it obviously matters to some.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Welcome to the struggle. I remember applying for a dishwasher job at a seafood restaurant in the summer, and halfway through the online application you had to input your drivers license #. It was required, a regular ID wouldn't work and you couldn't skip it. I had to give up on the application. I was very shocked to see this requirement because I had no license at the time. I do now. But given how basic the job was, I was wondering why they were doing that. I would hate to be a young kid and try applying for this, and not being able to continue the application. This was a first for me. This is why paper applications and doing things IN PERSON is so much better and always will be. What if someone had a bicycle or took the bus? Or got rides? Or walked? It's really dissapointing. Millions of people all over this country starving for work, and there is nothing but regulations, bureaucracy, and being told they "aren't qualified" to stock shelves.
Did you then go to the restaurant in person and get a paper application? Was it still a requirement or was it a glitch/error on the online application?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,899,087 times
It used to be a major concern for me when hiring people to their first job. Some of the less mature would think that they could somehow get crosstown easily and inexpensively when it wasn't feasible. In the borderline cases, I had to make a "best judgment" determination. Eventually though, I just changed my standard spiel to "If I hire you, I expect you to be here to work on time and ready to work at the scheduled time. If you do not show up, I will assume that you have quit and you will be taken off the schedule. If you show up late, and it affects operations, you will be taken off the schedule. I will not "come get you" or have someone pick you up. You are responsible to get here on your own and have transportation to take you home. Do you have any questions?"

If the job was a more responsible one, I would ask if the person had reliable transportation of their own. Regrettably, the use of public transportation almost never worked out. Also - any time a commute is more than about 30 minutes, both employer and employee have to factor in the costs of such a long commute. Sometimes it may not be practical on the wages offered.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,923,826 times
It was an issue for my husband a few years back. He had gone through multiple interviews and felt reasonably sure he was going to get the offer. Then he was asked about where we lived. It would have been a pretty hefty commute each day. And even my husband had a concern it would get very old after awhile.

I think they were concerned it would get old as well and that he would then look for something closer. They asked if we would consider moving closer, but due to where our son was in school, we were not willing to have him move and have to start over at that age.

Needless to say, he did not get the job. We were glad in the long run.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,008,138 times
Had a manager turn me down 'cuz it would've been a 45 minute commute. I explained to him that it was closer than my current employer. No deal.

Nowadays I have the 20 mile rule.

Side note:

Worked with a guy that lived FEET from the shop. A five minute walk was his commute. He used to walk home for lunch daily.

He was terminated for attendance issues.

Another case:

Worked with a guy that lived over 50 miles away. In Michigan, no less, where the weather can be a huge factor commute-wise.

I don't think the guy was ever late or absent during the 4 years that I worked with him.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Had a manager turn me down 'cuz it would've been a 45 minute commute. I explained to him that it was closer than my current employer. No deal.
I don't get it. 45 minutes, what the hell is wrong with that?? Is it a high-traffic area at all times with accidents happenings everywhere?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,400,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Did you then go to the restaurant in person and get a paper application? Was it still a requirement or was it a glitch/error on the online application?
They don't exist. You can only apply online. It was real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search