Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
If you hadn't of lied to get the position, you never would have met this "kind" man.

Stop beating yourself up about it. The company will be FINE. They were fine before you and they'll be fine after.

If they didn't make things difficult for the longterm or even short-term unemployed, then people wouldn't have to resort to these tactics.
So accountability should take a back seat when you intentionally lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
So accountability should take a back seat when you intentionally lie?
What type of "accountability" are you talking about?

Are you saying she should "admit" to it just to "clear her conscience"?

For what? She was only there two days. They should have completed the background check BEFORE hiring her and none of this would have happened.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect, after 50 straight years in the workforce as both an employee and an employer on two continents, you've come up with one of the most nonsensical pieces of misinformation I've yet read. You're not perpetually unhappy in the workplace because of how you've been treated by employers or by "the system". You're perpetually thus solely because of your own mindset and ill perceived notions. I really feel quite sorry for you as I can't begin to imagine how very depressing it must be contemplating a working life so totally bereft of enjoyment and so filled with abject negativity. What a miserable existence that must be.

On the contrary I am very happy in my job now and love the company I work for now. However, I will always remember how I was treated by over a dozen other companies.

Kept as a permatemp by one company that decided they don't want to give benefits to their science staff, over a dozen interviews where I was lied to by two-face scoundrols, drove 400 miles to have my time wasted, had heavy handed HR people demand a salary history so they could make an offer of exactly the same ammount I was currently getting, subjected to countless hours of psychobabble and stupid cliched questions, sat in an in interview where my expertise to ask relevant technical questions was requested only to have them go with the guy who they like personally and then had to clean up after him after he caused tens of thousands of dollar in damage, junk science pschological questionaires, lowball offers, got grilled about a 2 month gap over 7 years ago between graduation and my first job and of course this takes the cake:
Quote:
Lifetime Accomplishments-Writing Assignment

It is the desire of Fujifilm to explore to the fullest degree possible a potential employee’s strength, weaknesses, talents and gifts. Furthermore, it is our belief that a person should be suited to a job in which they can use their unique strengths and gifts during the majority of their working hours.

A person’s strengths, talents and gifts have usually been consistently displayed in one’s life since early childhood up to present day. These unique characteristics are often best seen through the multiple significant accomplishments, achievements, events or situations in an individual’s life.

Your challenge is to think back in your life, from the earliest points possible to the present moment, and write a short narrative on two significant memories that have in common something you did well and enjoyed doing. Also, explain each of these memories as outlined below. If you have any questions about this, please ask, because this exercise largely influences our evaluation of every prospective employee.

Please follow these directions:

1. Name and describe the specific memory (i.e., experience, achievement, accomplishment, etc.) and your approximate age at the time.

2. State what you remember about the details surrounding this memory.

3. Each narrative should have in common that it was something that you did well and enjoyed doing. Both characteristics (did well and enjoyed doing) must have been present. Both are necessary because often in life we achieve significant accomplishments, but our heart really was not in it, and we really did not enjoy
doing it. Please pay careful attention to these criteria.

4. Describe why this event or accomplishment was so significant in helping you understand your strengths, talents and “gifts”.

5. Describe why it so enjoyable.

Below is a real life example from another person’s Lifetime Accomplishments.

An executive recalled one of her favorite memories as a child growing up on a farm. Apparently, one day she found a bird in the barnyard that had a broken wing. She remembered taking thread and wrapping it around the bird’s broken wing.

Over several weeks she nurtured the bird, both feeding it and ensuring that the wing was healing correctly. Her greatest joy came on the day when she was able to go in the barnyard, throw the bird up in the air, and see it fly away.

Do you know what this executive’s job is today? She is a highly skilled, corporate turn-around artist. She is an expert in fixing broken companies, restoring them to health, then letting them fly on their own. Her true gifts and abilities are found in her thrill for fixing broken companies, and yet those same skills would be skills that would be very harmful if she stayed in a company long-term.
My eyes glaze over some of you portraying innocent angel companies getting victimized by sinister greedy job hunters. I used to respect American companies when I was growing up but the last few years I have grown to hold most of them in such contempt with their nonsense and bad behavior that I refuse to even invest my money in them.

I suspect some of you haven't had to job hunt in a while and endure the Spanish inquisition by HR lately. I wouldn't recommend trying it. If I need a job to survive and nonsense and stereotyping/discrimination is standing in the way I have no qualms about doing whatever is necessary to bypass it.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 02-14-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM

38 posts, read 200,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Because you always have trolls that come on any post on here to hijack and promote their own political agenda. I was responding to that half man/woman troll hijacker who had as much sense as a sack of bricks.

I actually was the one who told you not to sweat it and forget about it and gave the logical reasons for my response.

Anytime people are hatefully attacked one should respond accordingly. But this is a thread and people are going to say whatever...

I understand. I wasn't talking to anyone in specific. Just in general. Its ok to make a point, but keep it respectful.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 AM

38 posts, read 200,698 times
Quote:

For what? She was only there two days. They should have completed the background check BEFORE hiring her and none of this would have happened.

Yeah I see it the same way. I have also been treated poorly by a company I gave my all at. Employees are not the only ones that lie. Employers do it too.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
..... My eyes glaze over some of you portraying innocent angel companies getting victimized by sinister greedy job hunters. I used to respect American companies when I was growing up but the last few years I have grown to hold most of them in such contempt with their nonsense and bad behavior that I refuse to even invest my money in them.

I suspect some of you haven't had to job hunt in a while and endure the Spanish inquisition by HR lately. I wouldn't recommend trying it. If I need a job to survive and nonsense and stereotyping/discrimination is standing in the way I have no qualms about doing whatever is necessary to bypass it.
Seriously.

I was making the same point as well. If companies interviewed fairly and stopped the various biases in the hiring process, there would be no long term unemployed. Their intrusive practices, discriminatory behaviors, nepotism and cronyism, all this among other things creates the unemployment situation. If anybody is sinister, it's the companies. All you have to do is read the media, court case files, and speak to people who have actually lost their jobs due to politics or bias. All you have to do is speak to the unemployed and hear their stories. I have.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
Yeah I see it the same way. I have also been treated poorly by a company I gave my all at. Employees are not the only ones that lie. Employers do it too.
Right It certainly goes both ways.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Quote:
By the way, it's nobody's business who on here collects what!! We paid our taxes just like everyone else. We paid into this system.
You completely missed my point.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Quote:
Because you always have trolls that come on any post on here to hijack and promote their own political agenda.
That's funny considering the only real hijackers came from the people promoting the lying.

OP I apologize for the turn in your thread. I really appreciate your honesty in your situation and I think you made the right decision. Hopefully you'll find something soon.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:

I see no point in her admitting her lie. She quit the job and that's the end of it.

But, to say that none of this would have happened if the background check was completed before she was hired is a leap of mammoth proportions. None of this wouldn't have happened if the OP hadn't lied on her application. She put these events in motion. She was responsible, she has admitted her mistake and paid the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search