Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Although "fluffing up" job duties from past employers on a resume is extremely common and pretty much the norm, putting a job on your resume or application that you've NEVER had is a disastrous thing to do. I realize people do things out of desperation, and I've been there, done that, but I've never put a job on my resume that I've never held. Things like that are WAY too easy to verify and applying to a large company, or even a semi-large company who either has staff to check references or outsources that task, it will be discovered, just as you found out.

Live and learn from this mistake and realize that you'll go on to find another job, but hopefully will have learned that "fluffing up" is one thing....."fabrication" is totally another.
Fluffing up the resume is a pretty funny thing. I once interviewed with a large biotech/pharma company and the in house recruiter told me the new workers have been incredibly underwhelming and most of them were unable to do a lot of the things that they listed on their resumes. Of course, they all passed their background and reference checks since this company has one of the most extensive background checks out there but it was obvious that these new workers lied on their resumes yet the company could not really fire them for lying since they passed the background and reference checks and it is hard for the company to prove they lied since it could be any number of reasons why they are under performing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM

420 posts, read 768,204 times
^This doesn't make sense to me. Proof that they lied has nothing to do with performance, its reason enough and its easy to obtain

Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Of course, they all passed their background and reference checks since this company has one of the most extensive background checks out there but it was obvious that these new workers lied on their resumes yet the company could not really fire them for lying since they passed the background and reference checks and it is hard for the company to prove they lied since it could be any number of reasons why they are under performing.
Freaky long sentence too.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,137 times
I came into this late so if this has been answered I apologize to all.
First, shame on you for lying.
Then, how much did you lie. Did you work for the company in question in some capacity and you lied about what you did, or did you lie by saying you worked there and you never did?

I told the truth on applications but they might as well have been lies because the companies I worked for went out of business. I even got dates wrong but that was due to faulty memory.

Tell the new employer that you like the job, you wanted it and you were desperate. Let them either keep you (you never know) or fire you. But to quit is simply wrong. All you will be doing is slinking away with your tail between your legs. TAKE responsibility for your actions. It will help you in your growing up which you still have a lot to do.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar services View Post
Then, how much did you lie. Did you work for the company in question in some capacity and you lied about what you did, or did you lie by saying you worked there and you never did?

I told the truth on applications but they might as well have been lies because the companies I worked for went out of business. I even got dates wrong but that was due to faulty memory.

Tell the new employer that you like the job, you wanted it and you were desperate. Let them either keep you (you never know) or fire you. But to quit is simply wrong. All you will be doing is slinking away with your tail between your legs. TAKE responsibility for your actions. It will help you in your growing up which you still have a lot to do.
A little due-diligence and you would have been able to gather the answers from reading the thread.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
The lessen learned can be DON"T lie.
Or the lesson learned can be if you don't know HOW to lie or -- what NOT to lie about -- then don't lie.

Whether it's lying on an application, or about anything else...don't lie about something that can be PROVEN untrue, or verified.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM

128 posts, read 267,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, what's "pathetic" is the employer having the BALLS to dare ask for it.

What do they need it for?
What do they need it for? Maybe to combat the very same deceptive tactics you advocate using? Just a guess.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Fluffing up the resume is a pretty funny thing. I once interviewed with a large biotech/pharma company and the in house recruiter told me the new workers have been incredibly underwhelming and most of them were unable to do a lot of the things that they listed on their resumes. Of course, they all passed their background and reference checks since this company has one of the most extensive background checks out there but it was obvious that these new workers lied on their resumes yet the company could not really fire them for lying since they passed the background and reference checks and it is hard for the company to prove they lied since it could be any number of reasons why they are under performing.
If you're going to "fluff", do it creatively, but wisely. Fluff a menial task as filing with "file management coordinator." Same task, but sounds important! LOL! Just an example.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
Try telling the unbridled truth when answering what are your strength and weakness and see how far honesty gets you. Give me a break! Interview I did a week ago... had an answered strength/weakness honestly instead of using the resources online to nitpick what I thought they'd want to hear, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten an offer. The same goes o a few other questions, and especially the question regarding my career goals. *I want only to be a musician...any job not related to that is just for the pay check so I can keep on playing and progress further in the industry. Should I have said that? It's the truth. Yeah right...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar services View Post

Ha! Ha!

You guys kill me! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search