Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 AM

455 posts, read 1,395,449 times

Advertisements

Basically this is turning into a lie out your butt and its ok thread. This thread exists because she lied and not because she told the truth. I don't treat jobs as a temporary thing I'm more of a company man and like to build long term contacts and networks. So far I make well into 6 figures and have made great contacts over the course of my career. If I want low level positions for my entire career then I would lie. CEO's might be unethical and get golden parachutes even after everything goes sideways. But most people aren't CEO's and are replaceable cogs in a much larger machine. I refuse to lie and do not recommend it. Within my organization the few people that have lied have been blacklisted. People in the same field talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM

38 posts, read 200,637 times
I did put in my resignation. I sent an email and I have left a voicemail. I have not received a response yet.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM

38 posts, read 200,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Basically this is turning into a lie out your butt and its ok thread. This thread exists because she lied and not because she told the truth. I don't treat jobs as a temporary thing I'm more of a company man and like to build long term contacts and networks. So far I make well into 6 figures and have made great contacts over the course of my career. If I want low level positions for my entire career then I would lie. CEO's might be unethical and get golden parachutes even after everything goes sideways. But most people aren't CEO's and are replaceable cogs in a much larger machine. I refuse to lie and do not recommend it. Within my organization the few people that have lied have been blacklisted. People in the same field talk.
No it isn't ok to lie. I lied because I was desperate. That doesn't make it ok.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,044,654 times
One thing that I noticed (along w/Marilyn) was that technically the background check wasn't completed before you started work. That's never happened to me and we don't do that (current employer).

I've had some minor details that were incorrect with my background checks but they were easily explained and quite meaningless anyway. E.g., I worked a temp to hire for a major corporation and included my temp tenure on my resume/application.

Of course, my temp time wasn't included in the official company records. No HR person ever wanted that stuff verified. It was no big deal as it was easily explained BY ME.

Here's what ticks me off about this deal:

Some HR person with nothing better to do than stroke her/his own ego in another state/city decides to look important for a change, thereby screwing a perfectly capable gal out of a job. I've been in the corporate world for a long time and I can tell y'all that many of these gerbils in cubicle farms have side stepped the integrity thing more times than we can count.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,552,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yeah, I'm LOLing at them too.
Before joining in the LOL you might want to look up the definition of "espousing". The poster you quoted might do likewise ...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

400 posts, read 1,506,500 times
You don't know if they are looking to fire you or not. I have had to supply a W2 before. They should've asked for it before hiring you. Just tell them you don't have one easily accessible and that they can feel free to call your prior employer. Since they said they couldn't verify it your prior employer most likely didn't give them the data. Continue to work there until they say otherwise but if you want to be on the safe side don't bring any personal belongings there and be prepared in case they do want to let you go. You're jumping to conclusions. Expect the best prepare for the worst.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,167,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna233 View Post
Well I had a thread hear earlier based on a lie I told on an application and asking what background checks show. The company I interviewed with 4 times gave me an offer last week and told me background check had to be completed by Friday before I could start. Well they had me start Monday so I assumed the background info came back fine. Then today I get a call from HR (corporate is in another state) saying they couldnt verify some of the information. They said they want a W2 and of course I don't have one. So I told her I would call her back with the info.

I don't know if my manager was told or not yet. But I left work at 2 since I'm only training and the days are shorted until I'm fullly trained. So I thought about coming clean and telling the truth but I figure that may hurt me even more so I'm just going to quit and say its not a good fit. I'm super embarrassed and ashamed. So the bottom line is dont lie.

I got so desperate being out of work..I thought I was bettering my life after a past of being a screw up. But I just made it worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, what's "pathetic" is the employer having the BALLS to dare ask for it.

What do they need it for? They "claim" it's to verify what your last salary was? Why?

What difference does it make what my last salary was when you ALREADY have a figure in mind to pay me and I told you what I wanted??

For ME, I don't feel like going through the trouble of all of that, but I have no problem with others taking the time to.

My W2s are NONE OF MY NEW EMPLOYER'S BUSINESS.
It looks to me like they want the W2 to verify employment.. Which of course is a lie.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,317,173 times
I have hired people that I know lied, but not about employers, just dates of employment, and perhaps salary. Puffery on the resume, provided they worked at the job stated never bothers me because it's not too difficult to cut through to the heart of the matter, though I did chuckle when one of the HR people told me that someone who had applied for a receptionist position in my office had put on her resume that one of her prior duties was advising the CEO regarding meeting planning. So, he left it up to her what bagels and muffins to order for a breakfast meeting in the office. My assistant thought this was a terrible breach, and though we hired said person, she made certain to keep an eye on her, which amused me greatly.

I never ask for a W-2 and base an offer on what we would pay for the position, regardless as to what the person previously earned, since that's not an always an accurate measure of their worth to my organization.

Chin up, OP. You resigned, and I agree that's the best thing to do in this situation. Nobody in the industry will remember that you were there a day or two, and left because it was not the right fit. However, they will remember if you dig the hole deeper and get caught in a public display, especially if this organization is the type that makes examples of a person. The background investigation should have been completed before you started if they were professional, but many organizations favor getting people in the door if they pass a preliminary investigation, and then iron out details during the probationary period.

Is there a way you could boost your resume with internships or volunteer work related to your field? Sometimes that can help with respect to regaining compensated employment because you are remaining active, and working, even if it's not compensated.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,863,134 times
Marilyn220 is sure working hard to justify why lying is acceptable. In my experience anything that needs that much over justification is best avoided.

My personal policy has been not to lie on my resume. Instead, I work hard to make it honestly attractive.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,350,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan2 View Post
...everyone lies in one way or another (a lie of omission is still a lie)...lol @ the high horse hypocrites espousing liars like they aren't one themselves.

No, Everyone does NOT lie in one way or another.

In the 1980's (when oil/gas went bust and jobs were hard to find) I worked for a company that was taken over by another company, which then promptly cut our salaries in half. I went from making $40,000 to making $20,000 for the same job. Then we were all laid off. When I was looking for another job and had to fill out application forms, I put down $20,000 for my previous salary.

Some people here would apparently have advised me to lie but I couldnt live with myself if I'd done that. The person who hired me told me she did so because she was so impressed with my honesty -- and her job offer was for $40,000. But, had I been able to find work for only $20,000, I'd still not have regretted being honest.

And I, too, am disgusted (but, sadly, not surprised) at how many posters advocate lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search