Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,985 times

Advertisements

About a month or so ago I applied for a job with a company. Its a staff level contributor opportunity. However, my career search has been focused on manager roles. Well, I received a call from HR for the job that I applied for. Then I spoke with the hiring manager. Both went well and I will be going in for day of interviews with other levels of management. I have recently found out that the hiring manager will be transferring roles so now a manager spot is open. Im more than qualified for the manager role but since I applied for the other role thats what they're considering me for. How can I now ask to be considered for the manager role instead. Ill take the staff level position but really don't see myself keeping it for too long especially if a manager level role opens up somewhere else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
If they are on top of their game, you are already being considered. If you don't realize that, ask yourself if you are really qualified for a hiring manager position.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Will it hurt to bring this recent development up with those that you will be interviewing with? Since you have spoken to the hiring manager and have a relationship with that person could you call and ask about this recent situation and the new position? I don't think it will hurt at all. Doing it early will save the company money in the process as you are allready on their radar as a candidate.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
It really depends on how they do their hiring. You don't have anything to lose by asking the question but you may need to apply for the other job if you want to be considered for the other job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search