Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. There is a third option as well, which might be more promising than the recruiter since I thought she was kind of flaky and made me wait two hours for a phone interview after already rescheduling. One of the people who interviewed me gave me his card. I could email him and ask about the position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Do it. I applied for the same position twice before I got it. A recent hire just remarked that she'd been trying to get on with my employer for a year and a half.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
My favorite story along the lines is when Notre Dame hired George O'Leary in 2001 over Ty Willingham for the head coaching gig. Willingham called up the then athletic director, Kevin White and told him: "You hired the wrong guy. You know I'm the best guy for the job." Shortly thereafter, it was revealed that O' Leary lied on his resume. Guess who Kevin White hired?

Now, it turns out that Willingham was not the best guy for the job, but it took balls and it got him the job when it became open again. I also like the fact that he was willing to take a job for which he hadn't been the first choice. There's a lesson in this as to being bold sometimes and in swallowing your pride.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I had a series of interviews a few months ago for a position I had experience in and was confident that I could succeed in. I thought the interviews went very well. Everyone seemed to be pleased with my answers and the main interviewer even commented on my word choice and how much he was writing down, which he said was a good thing.

After inquiring about their decision when I wasn't contacted, I was told they were pursuing a better fit for the company. The position was recently reposted and since they only need one person in this role, I can only assume the "better fit" did not work out. Some of my friends suggested I re-apply, but I'm hesitant to do so since I've already been rejected for the position, although I may have been one of the top candidates they were considering.

A second option might be to contact the recruiter I went through the first time. I don't know if that would be any different than applying directly to the company, but it could be another option.
I am late to this thread, so you may have already taken action, but call the recruiter. They will likely know what happened with the position and if in fact the other person did not work out, the recruiter will likely have the information as to why, so that recruiter may be able to position you in such a way as to be a candidate who is not only a good match but also a good fit and will be able to play up the differences in you and the candidate who was chosen above you before.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. There is a third option as well, which might be more promising than the recruiter since I thought she was kind of flaky and made me wait two hours for a phone interview after already rescheduling. One of the people who interviewed me gave me his card. I could email him and ask about the position?
Do that. Since a recruiter is involved, something may be lost in the translation and you want him to know you are still very interested, especially since it has been a few months.

Usually, if it was recent and you went directly through the company, I would say that if they wanted you they would call you back. I have several associates that have tried to get hired where I work and even when they reapply they are passed over. But your circumstances are different. Contact that guy.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
I think that is an excellent idea.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Call and ask. It may be that you are right, and next time you will be selected, but if that was the case they could have just contacted you, rather than re-post it. We had a similar situation recently where the person did not work out after 6 weeks, and we made an offer to the person who had been our second choice, and she accepted and has worked out great.

It could also be a case where they didn't like any of the candidates and decide to wait a bit and start over in the hope of getting better people to choose from, we have also been in that situation before.
Bingo! They would have already contacted you if interested. You can try, but don't waste too much time with this resource wise or emotionally.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,667,871 times
Exactly...again try quickly but don't get wrapped up in it emotionally or resource wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I think they would have called you back if the other person hadn't worked out. I was a second choice once and they called me back after their first choice turned them down. I didn't know this until a couple of years after I got the job lol.

I mean it doesn't hurt to reapply, but I would still keep looking elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search