Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times

Advertisements

I had a series of interviews a few months ago for a position I had experience in and was confident that I could succeed in. I thought the interviews went very well. Everyone seemed to be pleased with my answers and the main interviewer even commented on my word choice and how much he was writing down, which he said was a good thing.

After inquiring about their decision when I wasn't contacted, I was told they were pursuing a better fit for the company. The position was recently reposted and since they only need one person in this role, I can only assume the "better fit" did not work out. Some of my friends suggested I re-apply, but I'm hesitant to do so since I've already been rejected for the position, although I may have been one of the top candidates they were considering.

A second option might be to contact the recruiter I went through the first time. I don't know if that would be any different than applying directly to the company, but it could be another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Call and ask. It may be that you are right, and next time you will be selected, but if that was the case they could have just contacted you, rather than re-post it. We had a similar situation recently where the person did not work out after 6 weeks, and we made an offer to the person who had been our second choice, and she accepted and has worked out great.

It could also be a case where they didn't like any of the candidates and decide to wait a bit and start over in the hope of getting better people to choose from, we have also been in that situation before.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Do it again! Why not?!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I applied for a position (that I did not get) and reapplied at the same firm a year later. Turns out it was the same position. I asked what had happened to the candidate they had chosen, and was told "she didn't work out". The pay offer this time was a DOLLAR less an hour than what I'd asked for at my interview the year before and what we'd mutually agreed was "reasonable". I said, NO THANK YOU. I can see why the other girl "didn't work out".

Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
I would probably go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

My husband had applied for a job and he was also in the top two. They passed him over for someone else and offered him another position within the company, which he declined. Two weeks later they called him up and asked him if he wanted the job. The other guy they chose didn't work out. He has now been there for almost five years.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:53 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
I think they would have called you back if the other person hadn't worked out. I was a second choice once and they called me back after their first choice turned them down. I didn't know this until a couple of years after I got the job lol.

I mean it doesn't hurt to reapply, but I would still keep looking elsewhere.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,862 times
I would contact the recruiter again instead of applying online. Just mention that you saw the position posted again and would like to be reconsidered. If you were indeed a strong runner up you'll be reconnected to the hiring manager in no time. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 11,917 times
If your recruiter works for a staffing agency, and if we are talking about a large company, then he/she might not have any direct contact with the hiring manager. It might all go through a vendor manager who might not even have a close contact with that person either. Also the recruiter might not have all the feedback of how your interview went.

It is a good idea to call the recruiter and ask about the new opportunity. Have all your questions ready don´t just ask about what happened. Like I always say, don´t waste time thinking about what did or did not happen, take action and find out as much as you can about the new opportunity and what they are truly looking for, you could even ask if he/she considers there is certain skill you do not know/have or that she feels doubt about or an experience that was not mentioned in detail in your resume that is a "must" for the position.

Some recruiters, not all, tend to overlook some of the ¨must¨ have requirements when the candidate has almost everything that is required, focus on that and try and get a better idea of what they want to find in a candidate.

Now, that is assuming that the recruiter has no idea that the position is accepting candidates again, but if they have any control or part in the hiring, why haven´t they called you back?

Now, sometimes large companies re-open certain potions but the hiring managers or location could be totally different.
Still it does not hurt to try.. Go for it....

Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
I would just re-apply. Not every employer is going to bother going back to check old resumes, some may not even keep them on file.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Reapply, absolutely. Worst case scenario is they say no again, but you survived the first time, right? If the interview gave you good vibes, that's an even better reason to invest the time. I didn't get my current job the first time around. They found someone with more experience. I took a different job and got a call back a month later. And a year later, I interviewed for the position again and it worked out great.

Companies these days a extremely picky. Unfortunately, often times they are too picky. The interviewers may have their hearts set on what they imagine to be the "perfect fit". In reality, that person is often not looking for a job right now. Unemployment is high, but "ideal fits" are the last ones to get laid off, and they are generally well compensated enough to keep them looking for another job. I actually love listening to management whine about how great workers should be raining from the sky and begging to work for a pinch of sawdust with 8% unemployment But definitely, get in touch with them and find out what the situation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search