Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times

Advertisements

When writing job postings, please . . .

1. Refrain from using all CAPS in the entire description. Emphasize only what needs to be emphasized. When you use all caps, it appears that you are yelling at me and it looks unprofessional - 2 points that will keep me from even applying.

2. Check the grammar and spelling of your description. I have seen some very professional job descriptions with errors. The last one I saw today was on the website of a national company. They were using the word leans instead of liens.

It's very disconcerting to know that my resume and cover letter will be looked over with a fine-tooth comb, and if there is the slightest sign of being human, it will get thrown out. How I'd love to point out issues with your work! Just sayin' . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
most of the postings that have those are staffing agencies anyways. they could care less.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
True, and staff agency jobs are rarely real jobs anyway. After having seen the same job postings floating around for over 2 years while I was out of work, it is safe to say that most of them are fake.

My favorite: Telling me that the job is in a certain state with a "well-known company." Right... because every part of a state in the US is within an easy commute of every other part of the state, and clearly the company is well-known, which is why they won't mention it's name. Fake job alert!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Or the posting is so generic that you aren't really clear as to the duties or expectations, even after the interview. Then you are hired, and start training and now are wondering, "WTH? This isn't anything like what was explained to me!!" We get that A LOT at my job.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
3.) Learn how to use the enter key.

4.) Don't post an ad for a job that's based in rural Georgia, but have it listed in D.C. just because your headquarters are there.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Problems in the way a job is posted is more a help to the job seeker than a hindrance. You can look at it an go "pfft! Don't wanna work there."

My pet peeve is all those offers I get from Nigeria. Don't they understand that I don't want to have to deal with sending money in Euros? They could do well to pay someone to improve their spelling and grammar as well. I mean, if they have millions of Euros, can't they afford a decent secretary?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
My pet peeve is when the job posting is stuffed with internal acronyms.

"The position will report into the Director of GSLP and will work cross-functionally with APP, SGTR, SFFG, and BTG units."

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Here's a post from a local staffing agency looking for someone as we speak:

"The best candidates will offer an Associate or Bachelor's Degree, high degree of proficiency in MS Office Programs and QuickBooks and 2‐4 years of bookkeeping experience. Prior experience handling similar duties for government contractors and/or knowledge of DCAA regulations is required. Knowledge or experience working with the Department of Deference is a very strong plus. Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include nights, days or weekends is a must."

Guess I'm unfamiliar with this section of government (I give up...is it DoD?)...

Wonder if it's located anywhere near the Ministry of Silly Walks?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Here's a post from a local staffing agency looking for someone as we speak:

"The best candidates will offer an Associate or Bachelor's Degree, high degree of proficiency in MS Office Programs and QuickBooks and 2‐4 years of bookkeeping experience. Prior experience handling similar duties for government contractors and/or knowledge of DCAA regulations is required. Knowledge or experience working with the Department of Deference is a very strong plus. Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include nights, days or weekends is a must."

Guess I'm unfamiliar with this section of government (I give up...is it DoD?)...

Wonder if it's located anywhere near the Ministry of Silly Walks?
ROTFL!!

Just don't go for the interview and mistakenly enter the door for the five minute argument department.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
They're asking for a former civil service employee to work in a private corp with "flexible schedule including nights, days, weekends,etc." Good luck. People don't leave gov't jobs to work 60 hours in the private sector for someone else minus union, pension, ot pay/comp time. They can keep dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search