Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM

400 posts, read 1,917,603 times

Advertisements

I can't go to the local Work Force center in my city right now because I'm in my last semester of graduate school, and am student teaching Monday through Friday at a public school. My biggest fear (like most college graduates who don't have a financial nest egg of support to fall back on) is that I have to quickly try to create a job search support network, because I don't have one right now.

My social life is nil to the point where my sister and a couple of long distance friends are all that I have.

I have enough of my spring refund to cover my rent and very meager living expenses until July, but then I'm out of luck. My student teaching ends May 1st.

So what should be my plan of action for that first week of May? I've already tried the career counseling center at my university but it's just one woman who manages the job database there and offers resume help. That's how small the career center is. She was very helpful to me a few months ago when I needed to revamp my resume for an education job that I applied for (but didn't get obviously).

So, aside from my university's career counseling center and my city's local Work Force Center, what other avenues of job search support should I reach out for? I live in Minnesota. Any advice is appreciated because I'm in my early 40s, so I don't have mom and dad to fall back on for any financial support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
You could join linked in and link with people you know from all areas of your life, and with people you don't know but who work in your field. Don't wait until May. Start your job search now.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM

How does that work - Linked In - if I never see the people I link up with online? How can they help me find a job if they don't make any effort to stay in touch with me? Why would they want to help me find a job if they don't make any effort to socialize with me in person?

Do I have any other options that are more practical? I appreciate the Linked In suggestion, really. But as I said in my OP, I have no social life at all and lost touch with tons of people. I don't want to contact those people online and beg them to help me find a job, especially if they don't want to be friends with me in real life. That doesn't make sense.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,512 times
seek temporary agencies, headhunters, alumni networks, professional association meetings, former colleagues, neighbors, friends of friends, social network site, meetup groups, classmates with connections, professor with connections, job fairs, apply to programs targeted to recent grads (management trainee programs, ...), apply and network like crazy after school and weekends there is no reason to wait until may. also miss a class if you have to to go to your local workforce to gain resources available to you. also linkedin can be used to gain recruiter info at target companies plus it has a job search feature. good luck

Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
How does that work - Linked In - if I never see the people I link up with online? How can they help me find a job if they don't make any effort to stay in touch with me? Why would they want to help me find a job if they don't make any effort to socialize with me in person?

Do I have any other options that are more practical? I appreciate the Linked In suggestion, really. But as I said in my OP, I have no social life at all and lost touch with tons of people. I don't want to contact those people online and beg them to help me find a job, especially if they don't want to be friends with me in real life. That doesn't make sense.
you have to change your perspective and attitude a bit here. no one said beg. also some people may reach out to you once you create a detailed profile. you may not even have to contact them first. plus linkedin has its on job search section. plus its a good reason to find recruiters at target firms that you could target for potential opportunities.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
Forget about the network, learn to job hunt at some classes, meetups, charities, and ministries outside the university.

No master's, no bachelor's, no network, no problem. I got a job and asked for 2 weeks to start, because I wanted a break between the layoff and the next job. It was all done with help from classes and total strangers.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM

16 posts, read 26,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Forget about the network, learn to job hunt at some classes, meetups, charities, and ministries outside the university.

No master's, no bachelor's, no network, no problem. I got a job and asked for 2 weeks to start, because I wanted a break between the layoff and the next job. It was all done with help from classes and total strangers.
Good advice, move4ward.

But again, linkedin.com is the biggest professional network out there. Search for names of people that you know or even try to cold email them, especially recruiters.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Well I'm not going to use Linked In. I need to job network the old fashioned face to face way. I already stated clearly that I don't want to bug people on some website to help me find a job, or hire me for a job.

Also, I can't just take a day off from student teaching. Does no one even bother to READ my posts?!?!?!?!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,299 times
I would look at www.meetup.com and see if they have any networking events in your area. I joined for social reasons, but I do know in my area, Boston, there were networking groups. I assume it would be the same where you are, but you'd have to look it up.

I would also try and network at the school you are at currently. It also might be worth it to look at some volunteer opportunities, just so that you can expand your network that way.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks altlover85 I'll look into a Meetup job network group and as the school I'm student teaching at, for info on volunteering there. Two good places to start anyway. I don't want to network online. I need to do it face to face or at least over the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search