U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times

Advertisements

I was job searching on craigslist and jumped on sending my resume to a job I really want. Didn't realize until after I sent it that the job ad was only posted about 15 minutes before I emailed them. Does this look bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,923,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I was job searching on craigslist and jumped on sending my resume to a job I really want. Didn't realize until after I sent it that the job ad was only posted about 15 minutes before I emailed them. Does this look bad?
Nope, I personally believe the sooner you apply, the better.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,661,658 times
Quote:
On the contrary, it looks like you know what you want and are not wasting anytime responding. You could turn this into an advantage during your interview. Tell them you had been searching for a job like the one they had just posted an responded without hesitation. They may appreciate your enthusiasm. Good luck on this.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:

Why would it look bad? It means you are interested in the position and caught it before anyone else.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM

400 posts, read 1,317,355 times
no. ive actually seen a higher correlation with response rate. if its been posted for a while youll be at the bottom of the big stack. better to be at the top of the big stack.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM
FBJ

Actually I don't think it matters either way.

I have responded to ads as soon as they were posted and was called

I have responded to ads that I didn't apply to until 7pm at night and was still called

Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,747 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Actually I don't think it matters either way.

I have responded to ads as soon as they were posted and was called

I have responded to ads that I didn't apply to until 7pm at night and was still called
I agree. Ours are all done online and when I have an opening I never pay any attention to when they applied. The last two hires happen to be people that sent it it at the 11th hour on the last day but they were both far better qualified than the rest. That's the only reason I remember anything about the order,
I was keeping my fingers crossed for someone better to apply.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. Ours are all done online and when I have an opening I never pay any attention to when they applied. The last two hires happen to be people that sent it it at the 11th hour on the last day but they were both far better qualified than the rest. That's the only reason I remember anything about the order,
I was keeping my fingers crossed for someone better to apply.

Yup, the person who applies first may not qualified while the others may had what the employer is looking for

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,122,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Nope, I personally believe the sooner you apply, the better.
I concur.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,869,538 times
Well, I was just worried that it might look like I am so desperate and I'm sitting around all day on Craigslist shooting out resumes to every single job that pops up.

Also, a few hours later the same company posted a position that would be the junior level of the one I applied to. I would be more qualified for the junior level position now that I think of it, but the first one was so vague I thought I had a chance (didn't describe requirements). Any use in applying for the second one as well or should I just let it go and see what happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or