Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,026 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My first post here, I have some thinking to do and would like some insight.

In December I got laid off from my job after 9 years, I've been on the job hunt ever since. I'm 29 years old.

I went through the whole process at quad graphics, got a contingent offer which was solid as long as I passed a drug screen and color test, passed them both.
Had orientation this week, I start on Monday.
I was going through the interview process at another company, I really like the company and wanted the job more than quad.
On the day of my orientation I got a job offer from company B, contingent based on me passing a physical, 10 panel drug test, vision of hearing test.
I took them today, I have no worries about not passing, so basically I got the job.
Quad hired me on press, full time at 11.50 a hour with promises of bi monthly reviews and raises.
Company b offered me the same but I'd be 3rd shift so I'd get a. 55 cent shift premium as well, along with bi monthly reviews with a promise of hitting the top rated of 16 a hour based on my performance.

Quad pros
Can move up fast and grow
Good benefits
, weekly pay,
on sight fitness and child care (im single not married no kids but that can always change.

Company b pros
15 min commute, vs 1 hr with quad
Have family that works here and make great money with over 20+years in the company
11 paid yearly holidays, also good benefit, profit sharing, etc
Monday thru Friday 8 hour shifts

Quad cons
1 hour one way daily commute (2 hour total round trip)
12 hour shifts with mandatory over time
3on 4 off 7am to 7pm rotating to 4 on and 3 off 7pm to 7am schedule
With a few times a year being 7 on and 7 off

Company b cons
Bi weekly pay
Benefits are good but not like quad
No fitness, child care etc

So that's where I'm at,
I really want company b and the 14 hour days with commute at quad will kill me literally.

How would I go about quitting quad? I don't want to burn bridges, it seems like a good place to work,
I plan on quitting once I get notice that everything comes back good from company b.

Thoughts opinions insight?
I'm really at a loss.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

I hear that, but do I put in a 2 week notice at quad or just not go in on Monday?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheb0x View Post
How would I go about quitting quad? I don't want to burn bridges, it seems like a good place to work, I plan on quitting once I get notice that everything comes back good from company b.
How about just telling them the truth?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Yeah i have no problem doing that, but should I put in a 2 week notice or just call them and not cost them anymore money?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Yeah i have no problem doing that, but should I put in a 2 week notice or just call them and not cost them anymore money?
I don't know about a two week notice but you should atleast call them. No call, no show is so juvenile.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I don't think you should give 2-week notice, you haven't even started working there (only orientation, right?).
You should resign by calling the hiring manager and thank them for the opportunity but you have accepted a job that is more inline with your career goals and requirements.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,
My first post here, I have some thinking to do and would like some insight.

In December I got laid off from my job after 9 years, I've been on the job hunt ever since. I'm 29 years old.

I went through the whole process at quad graphics, got a contingent offer which was solid as long as I passed a drug screen and color test, passed them both.
Had orientation this week, I start on Monday.
I was going through the interview process at another company, I really like the company and wanted the job more than quad.
On the day of my orientation I got a job offer from company B, contingent based on me passing a physical, 10 panel drug test, vision of hearing test.
I took them today, I have no worries about not passing, so basically I got the job.
Quad hired me on press, full time at 11.50 a hour with promises of bi monthly reviews and raises.
Company b offered me the same but I'd be 3rd shift so I'd get a. 55 cent shift premium as well, along with bi monthly reviews with a promise of hitting the top rated of 16 a hour based on my performance.

Quad pros
Can move up fast and grow
Good benefits
, weekly pay,
on sight fitness and child care (im single not married no kids but that can always change.

Company b pros
15 min commute, vs 1 hr with quad
Have family that works here and make great money with over 20+years in the company
11 paid yearly holidays, also good benefit, profit sharing, etc
Monday thru Friday 8 hour shifts

Quad cons
1 hour one way daily commute (2 hour total round trip)
12 hour shifts with mandatory over time
3on 4 off 7am to 7pm rotating to 4 on and 3 off 7pm to 7am schedule
With a few times a year being 7 on and 7 off

Company b cons
Bi weekly pay
Benefits are good but not like quad
No fitness, child care etc

So that's where I'm at,
I really want company b and the 14 hour days with commute at quad will kill me literally.

How would I go about quitting quad? I don't want to burn bridges, it seems like a good place to work,
I plan on quitting once I get notice that everything comes back good from company b.

Thoughts opinions insight?
I'm really at a loss.

Thanks everyone

If the pay is the same I will always go with the job that is closer to home. This shouldn't be a hard decision at all

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I would go to Quad on Monday. Wait until you get a start date for Job B and all test results are successful and completed.

Option A: Call in sick to Quad on 1st day of Job B. Go to Job B, call in the next day to Quad and quit Quad.

Option B: Resign from QUAD the Thur or Fri before you start Job B.

Bottom line, 2 weeks notice is not standard any more. It is usually to give the company time to have you wrap up your work and pass assignments to someone else and train someone on what was going on with your work. If you are brand new, there is not wrap-up and not enough assignments to handover during a 2 week period.

If you give a 2 weeks notice to Quad, what if something falls through with Job B. Don't quit until you are all set to start Job B and all test results are completed successfully. Even if you take no drugs, there are some false positives on drug tests.

Job B is way better due to the commute and many other factors. Easy choice.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

Two week notice is for when you been with a company for a long period of time. I would just call and say "I decided to accept another position" and move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search