Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,841 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to lie (which I wouldn't), tell them that you had some medical conditions that you had to overcome and you are now healthy and needing to get back into the workforce. Empathize that the medical condition that you had will not effect the job that you are able to do.

Don't use negative wording; like I am "managing" my ADD, or it caused disruptions, etc, sounds like it could flare up at any time and cause problems.

Use positive wording; "I previously had a medical condition and it took a few years to improve my health so I did not work during that time. I am now a very healthy person and my past medical condition will not affect my work."

Don't share with them what the medical conditions were/are, it's none of their business and they may even discriminate against you, thinking you might not be able to do the job without having the medical conditions affect your work.

If the interviewer asks what the medical condition was, just smile and politely say that it was a past medical condition and it will not effect your work. In the next sentence say something to divert off that subject, ie "My positive attitude and people skills would make..." If they insist then you can say that it is a private matter that you don't want to share. If it came to that I wouldn't even want to take that job.

I would think that if you do have any qualifications that you may need to first update them. Try temp agencies first to get your foot in the door and you may find you may not be able to handle full time employment at this time if you are still managing your medical conditions.

Good luck and may peace follow in your footsteps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
"I hit the spacebar too many times."

Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
IF they called you for a interview maybe they don't care about the gap and will ask you about your past experience and current skills

Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,404 times
You can always say that you sold stuff on Ebay or the 'net. If you do, be prepared to be bombarded with questions as to how this is done, what did you sell, etc.

Or, that you sold stuff at flea markets?

I like the idea of going back to school for an AA degree.

Also, employment cleaning or doing yard work might be another way to ease back into the working world. With those 2, you have the ability to employ yourself.

Good luck with whatever happens and keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times
There are a lot of good suggestions posted. I'd suggest looking at some of the major job engines and their other services like "templates" for cover letters and resumes. They specifically address issues such as a long gap in employment or other issues.

You can always use a good search engine to ask the question, "How do I explain a large employment gap in my resume?" You may be surprised how many resources are available.

I totally agree with the suggestions above and I think you'll find the experts at writing resumes who give the templates for free also emphasize, that ever sentences focuses on your abilities now and how you learned, networked etc. during the time you weren't employed that will benefit them.

Remember, you have to first sell yourself like everyone else does that you can HELP an employer solve certain problems. Start thinking first of what are your strongest skills and most comfortable for you. Then think of what type of employers need your skills.

Basically, keep your resume to the resume page and your brief explanation of why you were out and how you've resolved the issue and learned x,y, z during that time to make you an even better candidate for the employer.

It's a really tough call when it comes to mental health issues, partially, b/c I don't know if you'd need security or other clearances, where truly having those conditions could endanger you and others if you couldn't perform at your peak. If you feel you have the conditions under control you can always write something like now that my medical issues have been appropriately treated, I'm looking forward to....... or something similar.

Check the net. There are a lot of really good resources for how to deal with special situations in an application and resume/cover letter. I hope you'll use them.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search