Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM

157 posts, read 185,757 times

Advertisements

What they need to do is create a simple online biz for themselves, and learn to live as cheaply as possible, so that they don't NEED your corporate bs job, for starvation wages, most likely.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Disagree!
How would you feel if you were constantly rejected? or you sent a million resumes and received no answer? (because it is no longer customary to send a reply and let the poor job seeker KNOW you're not interested so they don't waste their time!!!!!!!!) or how many times did you had to fill out an online form that didn't even allow for a resume upload????? do you think the "long term" unemployed have family members or friends petting them on their backs, and encouraging them, pumping them with money, and morally and emotionally support them? most don't! (remember the US society does NOT encourage family bonding, it splits families at 6 weeks after birth=daycare, or sends them off at 16 or earlier!!!!!!)
Having a child is a personal choice and not the concern of an employer. I'm not sure how anyown would be "wasting their time" after sending a resume. You send it and move on, if you get a response, great. If not, whatever. Anyone who sends a resume and then just sits by the phone waiting for a call for the next three weeks is someone I wouldn't want to hire.

Quote:
What about stay at home moms? = long term unemployed! do you think we own Xerox copiers of the latest models to stay "current" with office upgrades??? or we can spend over $600 to continue to upgrade Photoshop? did it occurred to you that we ended up home because the employer didn't pay us enough to afford daycare? (yeah, I know, its NOT their problem to provide living wages)!
That's something parents should have considered before having a child. Again, not the concern of an employer. Many of those skills can be kept current through volunteer work.

Quote:
What do you expect people to do at home exactly? do you know how much cable costs? =internet access? we can't go door to door looking for jobs, that makes us spend GAS MONEY! Have you noticed that gas has gone up quite a bit???? how do you expect us to AFFORD IT without an INCOME? do you think everyone has a CAR SALESMAN personality??? We don't all have that! So what should we do? shoot ourselves??? do you think someone NEEDS a car salesman personality to be a graphic designer? or an accountant? or administrative person playing with the fax machine, word and the copier all day? we don't need it! Get over it. We also don't need a degree to operate a copier either, and drown in student debt that we cannot pay back at $10 an hour that an office job pays in the good cases! One can be "upbeat", to use a really retarded word, for so long!
For a strictly clerical position, there are plenty of jobs with no degree required. While you might not need a hard sell personality, you sure do need to know how to create a resume and cover letter that sells your strengths and have a pleasing personality that doesn't come of like a raving lunatic with a chip on their shoulder in an interview. It's a competitive market, why on earth do you think an employer would even look at a candidate with stale skills and whose cover letter has the personality of pudding?

Quote:
Why don't YOU expand upon what YOU think we should all do "at home" to stay current!!!!! and for how long should we keep doing whatever it is you think we should be doing before we are allowed to work again by discriminating HR a$$holes!

Lynda.com = $25 per month, or $38 if you want the exercise files too! How do you pay that out of $0 (zero) INCOME???
Do you think "education" is free?
It's called investing in yourself. Why should an employer hire someone with stale skills and a crappy attitude when they can hire someone who has taken the time and assumed the small expense to stay current and has a great attitude? Think about it.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I feel your pain, I was a long term unemployed too at one time. But you got to find a way to beg, borow or steal enough money to have a computer and the Internet or you will never go back to work. And keep your skills current.
In all honesty, I know people always looking for a new home for old but working computers after buying a newer model. They are enough for job searching on the Internet and creating a resume and cover letter--and they are free.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's personal information that shouldn't be revealed
A previous job is personal information that shouldn't be revealed?

It's no wonder some people have been unemployed for a long time.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I feel your pain, I was a long term unemployed too at one time. But you got to find a way to beg, borow or steal enough money to have a computer and the Internet or you will never go back to work. And keep your skills current.
I am not in a position to go to work anymore. Been staying home for the last 8 years. So 9 to 5 is out. My middle son is Autistic, and needs constant attention, and driving to therapies.

However, I get really aggravated with employers today and these antics. I/Anyone else should not have this much difficulty getting back to work if we wanted/needed to go back to work. Stay at home moms are treated WORST by HR's than prisoners! We stayed home, and cooked, taught, drove, washed, cleaned after everyone, continue to study and read in our tiny spare time, even maintained "social media" accounts with friends we no longer get to see in person, did crafts, volunteered at school UNPAID, as if our time doesn't mean dick to these people, ran businesses, and one day we want a job and we are not even taken into consideration!!!!!! what the hell do you think we do at home? scratch our noses all day???????????? My choices should not be Walmart or other demeaning employers, and low end jobs that don't even pay for my gas to get to work. I have an education, and I know how to do my job..."I" stay current in MY field, because that is what I chose to do, love to do, and I am not interested in doing anything else. I am a career oriented person, and not a job hopper, and I teach my kids to do the same! "Job Hopping" is not a career, I want to leave something behind, and not a resume filled with 30 jobs that makes ME look like an idiot who can't have a career, and focus on a FIELD OF CHOICE! I had to start working for myself, and start a small business, which was not my 1st choice necessarily, I do it because it gives me flexibility....but if I had a choice, I would work for someone else if they paid a living wage and offered benefits, or paid me enough to AFFORD my own benefits! THAT however should also NOT matter to another employer if one day I decide to work for someone else again. I should have the work world open to me, and not closed off behind ridiculous personality tests, and stupid PHP forms. The work world should WELCOME workers, and not turn them away and FORCE THEM TO BE ON WELFARE! (and then have the nerve to complain that they're on welfare! "My tax dollars this and that!")

The problem is that "so called employers", I call them traitors, chose to send US jobs elsewhere so they can get rich quick...and now the US population has nothing to do, and nowhere to work, and has created a USELESS competition that benefits NO ONE! It exploits others, and today, China can say they have something to be proud about, and we don't because we don't make anything anymore. Now everyone in the US has to be a dentist to survive financially, (by ripping people off with their insane prices), and the BULK of the working population is forced into degrees, forced into debt and at the end there is no job is sight making the lawyers richer by filing insane amounts of bankruptcies!

"ASS BACKWARDS" is the word looking for to describe what the US work environment has become today!
It IS the employers who are keeping people out of jobs, and not people NOT wanting to work.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A previous job is personal information that shouldn't be revealed?

It's no wonder some people have been unemployed for a long time.
I get the criminal background checks. But anything beyond that is is flat out INVASION OF PRIVACY. My credit is none of your business unless you're a bank...and my social media accounts are off limits to you because you're not on my friends list! You're my employer! have some dignity!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM

157 posts, read 185,757 times
yeah, god forbid that you get a $20 bicycle from craigslist, and make your way to the library, to use a FREE computer and Net access for several hours a day. Much better if you can use gov't GUNS to MAKE people cough up tax money to support you!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Well guess what...I have standards, and goals, and would like to work for "X" company!
Quote:
Anyone who sends a resume and then just sits by the phone waiting for a call for the next three weeks is someone I wouldn't want to hire.

You are grossly misinformed. Elsewhere in the world both parents have the ability to take a year off, paid. Because elsewhere in the world employees are valuable assets to a company and not treated like disposable diapers, and also that is why they have part time jobs for. US = ass backwards when it comes to that.
Quote:
Having a child is a personal choice and not the concern of an employer.
So what you're saying is that before we go in Maternity leave we should sign a contract with Xerox, so our printers don't go out of style while were out for the year??? (or 6 weeks!) Yeah right! Photoshop comes with a new version roughly every 18 months...FYI
...and VOLUNTEER WORK? I am sorry, do you think "my" time doesn't mean money? please do tell where do you get gas money while you're volunteering! I never heard Shell, Hess, etc offering FREE gas for those who volunteer! but be my guest and let us all know where to get that free gas from!
Quote:
That's something parents should have considered before having a child. Again, not the concern of an employer. Many of those skills can be kept current through volunteer work.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Having a child is a personal choice and not the concern of an employer. I'm not sure how anyown would be "wasting their time" after sending a resume. You send it and move on, if you get a response, great. If not, whatever. Anyone who sends a resume and then just sits by the phone waiting for a call for the next three weeks is someone I wouldn't want to hire.

For a strictly clerical position, there are plenty of jobs with no degree required. While you might not need a hard sell personality, you sure do need to know how to create a resume and cover letter that sells your strengths and have a pleasing personality that doesn't come of like a raving lunatic with a chip on their shoulder in an interview. It's a competitive market, why on earth do you think an employer would even look at a candidate with stale skills and whose cover letter has the personality of pudding?

It's called investing in yourself. Why should an employer hire someone with stale skills and a crappy attitude when they can hire someone who has taken the time and assumed the small expense to stay current and has a great attitude? Think about it.
She seems to be complaining to just be complaining. She is not in a position to go to work anymore.

Quote:
I am not in a position to go to work anymore. Been staying home for the last 8 years. So 9 to 5 is out. My middle son is Autistic, and needs constant attention, and driving to therapies.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I get the criminal background checks. But anything beyond that is is flat out INVASION OF PRIVACY. My credit is none of your business unless you're a bank...and my social media accounts are off limits to you because you're not on my friends list! You're my employer! have some dignity!
Like I said, "previous employment." I don't know where you've come up with the rest of that stuff, but as long as you've put it on the table...

Credit is of interest to any employer that you'll be handling cash for or managing books for or having check signing authority for. It is also of interest to any employer who will be issuing you a company credit card. That works out to probably a full half of positions in this country.

I agree that social media accounts are off-limits--UNLESS they are viewable by the public. If I can see what you are writing, so can my customers, so in that case they aren't only within limits, but should be reviewed by a potential employer.

You've got a terrible chip on your shoulder. I can't imagine anyone hiring you if you come off in person even remotely how you come off here. I'd suggest a support group to work out some of the issues you seem to be dealing with. I understand the stress of having a disabled child, and it seems that having the opportunity to unload in a supportive environment might do your mental health a world of good.

By the way, the employer doesn't need to have some dignity. They need to allow their employees to have it. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search