Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

New Jersey has a new law and New York City too now that supposedly prohibits advertisements that bar the unemployed from applying for jobs. In NYC where politicians and hungry lawyers dominate everything,the unemployed can now sue. How do you prove exactly that you were discriminated against because you were long term unemployed? Do you bug their offices electronically after you leave and keep track of their hiring process? (sarcasm). Do you think now with these laws in effect, they will be stupid enough to tell you "we can't consider you 'cos you're unemployed." Employers who specifically weed out the unemployed will just continue to throw your resume in the trash bin. They will create more cumbersome online applications to weed people out even more. These laws will have a whole category of hungry "employer chasing" lawyers who will give seminars and lectures teaching the unemployed how to go after presumably guilty employers. It will make it even harder for the unemployed to get hired.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
New Jersey has a new law and New York City too now that supposedly prohibits advertisements that bar the unemployed from applying for jobs. In NYC where politicians and hungry lawyers dominate everything,the unemployed can now sue. How do you prove exactly that you were discriminated against because you were long term unemployed? Do you bug their offices electronically after you leave and keep track of their hiring process? (sarcasm). Do you think now with these laws in effect, they will be stupid enough to tell you "we can't consider you 'cos you're unemployed." Employers who specifically weed out the unemployed will just continue to throw your resume in the trash bin. They will create more cumbersome online applications to weed people out even more. These laws will have a whole category of hungry "employer chasing" lawyers who will give seminars and lectures teaching the unemployed how to go after presumably guilty employers. It will make it even harder for the unemployed to get hired.

You are right about that.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
New Jersey has a new law and New York City too now that supposedly prohibits advertisements that bar the unemployed from applying for jobs.
Is it true that companies have been posting "unemployed need not apply" signs?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
They use all kinds of language to exclude people. Some have put "unemployed need apply." Others want "current references". Still others write "must be currently employed." It runs the gamut. This is why the unemployed will put "self employed" or just cover up the recent long gap. I mean come on now, people are trying to get hired. I can't blame people for covering up gaps or stretching jobs. Granted, you should have an artful tongue and be able to explain in detail as well as provide references, if asked.

Of course for all those who are dismally obsessed with discriminating again the unemployed, no amount of explanations and references will suffice. They will pick you apart until you either crack from the pressure or not, but will lose your interest. I equate the success rate of this to a woman trying to get hired for a job by the Amish in the 1800s or an African American trying to get hired during the Jim Crow era in the deep South.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I had a recruiter tell me a company, which I was a very good fit for, wouldn't hire me because they only wanted candidates that were employed.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

Some have. But whether its posted or not if they don't want anyone that is unemployed, they will just keep it to themselves.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I had a recruiter tell me a company, which I was a very good fit for, wouldn't hire me because they only wanted candidates that were employed.

I think it's because the recruiter's get a bonus if they can steal someone away from another company.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
They use all kinds of language to exclude people. Some have put "unemployed need apply." Others want "current references". Still others write "must be currently employed." It runs the gamut.
This is disconcerting.

Quote:

Of course for all those who are dismally obsessed with discriminating again the unemployed, no amount of explanations and references will suffice. They will pick you apart until you either crack from the pressure or not, but will lose your interest.
What kind of jobs are we talking about?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Wow.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
If this is the case, then what are the long term unemployed to do? I applied for a job with the fed gov that asked about the last time you worked. It seems the feds are discriminating too.
Feds are a different animal. At one job, in order to get government clearance, I had to list all of my time since the age of 18, employed or not. Since it was my first job, it was easy. But they want to make sure that while you were "unemployed" you weren't secretly working for the "enemy" in another country. Or some such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search