Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 83,328 times

Advertisements

Here is the happened after I applied for a job with a large Canadian Corporation in Canada.

1) Received an email from HR within 4 weeks after applying for the job for scheduling a telephone interview for 30 minutes.
2)Telephone interview was for 10 minutes with the HR person. Asked me some very basic questions about my current employment. Invited me to interview with the HR person and 2 managers the following week.
3) Interviewed at their office for 70 minutes with the HR person and 2 managers. Asked about the work I currently do, several behavioral questions, and challenges the position presented. Interview went very well. I asked them at the end what would be the next step. They said they would interview 4 – 5 candidates and then will select for the second round.
4) Received an email from the HR person inviting me to interview with the Director and one of the managers I met earlier. Asked to provide references.
5) Final interview was with the manager and the Director. The interview went well but was only for 30 minutes. Asked me mostly behavioral questions. The Director mentioned the position involved clerical and junior level work than what I do in my current job. I said I was aware of that and would look forward to working with them if hired. In end I asked if there would be any more interviews. They said this was the final and the next step would be reference check.
6) Emailed the HR person after the interview thanking the person for giving me the opportunity to interview with them and also that I am awaiting a decision on my application.

It has been 3 business days since the final interview. None of my references have been called yet. Typically how soon the HR does reference check? Within a day or two?
Should I be worried and consider this as a “no go”?
Should I email the HR person after 7 business days?

Would appreciate if someone could respond on this one

Last edited by chelseaparker123; 03-13-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Gonna depend on how fast your references respond.

They're not always eager to respond quickly. I.e., it's not on the top of their list of things to do.

Give 'em a polite call......good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Most background and reference checks take about 3-5 days to complete. I'd say a follow up at 7 days sounds about right.

They may have been interviewing other candidates as well, and are waiting until all of that is done to proceed.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Gonna depend on how fast your references respond.

They're not always eager to respond quickly. I.e., it's not on the top of their list of things to do.

Give 'em a polite call......good luck!
OP said none of their references have been contacted by the company, so they can't respond to something they haven't been asked.

Sounds like the HR person is dragging their feet.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseaparker123 View Post
Here is the happened after I applied for a job with a large Canadian Corporation in Canada.

1) Received an email from HR within 4 weeks after applying for the job for scheduling a telephone interview for 30 minutes.
2)Telephone interview was for 10 minutes with the HR person. Asked me some very basic questions about my current employment. Invited me to interview with the HR person and 2 managers the following week.
3) Interviewed at their office for 70 minutes with the HR person and 2 managers. Asked about the work I currently do, several behavioral questions, and challenges the position presented. Interview went very well. I asked them at the end what would be the next step. They said they would interview 4 – 5 candidates and then will select for the second round.
4) Received an email from the HR person inviting me to interview with the Director and one of the managers I met earlier. Asked to provide references.
5) Final interview was with the manager and the Director. The interview went well but was only for 30 minutes. Asked me mostly behavioral questions. The Director mentioned the position involved clerical and junior level work than what I do in my current job. I said I was aware of that and would look forward to working with them if hired. In end I asked if there would be any more interviews. They said this was the final and the next step would be reference check.
6) Emailed the HR person after the interview thanking the person for giving me the opportunity to interview with them and also that I am awaiting a decision on my application.

It has been 3 business days since the final interview. None of my references have been called yet. Typically how soon the HR does reference check? Within a day or two?
Should I be worried and consider this as a “no go�
Should I email the HR person after 7 business days?

Would appreciate if someone could respond on this one

For me it was the next day after the interview and it was a email reference check and didn't involve any phone calls. Not sure if that is the same with the company who interviewed you.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Did you ask the hiring manager or HR when they'd be making the decision by?
Background checks would commence after they've decided which candidate to extend an offer to.
Meanwhile, move on with your job search since this is all out of your hands.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
It depends on the company. Some call and some don't. I have been given an offer without a reference check (even though they asked for references) and given an offer after a reference check.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks all for your responses!
I asked at the end of the interview what would be the next step. The program manager said the next step is reference check but did not give any timeline. The HR manager was not present during the final interview. I wrote an email to thank the HR manager right after the final interview. Haven't yet heard back. Some of my friends said in larger corporations they outsource reference to third parties and that take weeks or at times months. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseaparker123 View Post
Thanks all for your responses!
I asked at the end of the interview what would be the next step. The program manager said the next step is reference check but did not give any timeline. The HR manager was not present during the final interview. I wrote an email to thank the HR manager right after the final interview. Haven't yet heard back. Some of my friends said in larger corporations they outsource reference to third parties and that take weeks or at times months. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Months??

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Months??
Yes a friend of mine got a job at the IT department of Home Depot and she said that after the final interview it was more than a month before all her references were called and checked. During this time they did not communicate her about the status of her application in spite of her writing to them multiple times. So she had no clue what was going until one of the references got a call. The entitre process from the first interview to actually being hired took more than 4 month. Another friend had a similar experience with Canadian Tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search