Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times

Advertisements

How important are references? There is always a spot for them, but who lists a bad reference and how do you know they are not just the applicants' buddies talking them up? Do they serve a meaningful function, or just part of the sophisticated HR vetting strategy that includes "tell me where you want to be in 5 years?" as a means of figuring out which candidates may be the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
I depend heavily on my references. I don't have a college degree, and I could use a few more recent certifications. Luckily, I have great references who can attest to my abilities and work ethic. Potential employers call them whenever I send out resumes. Just goes to show, you reap what you sow. Performing above and beyond on the job can help you down the road.

I don't think people list bad references if they can help it, but if you're an average worker, your reference will likely give off signals suggesting this. Many potential employers find out all they need to know with the following question... "Would you hire him/her if they wanted to come back?"

Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I depend heavily on my references. I don't have a college degree, and I could use a few more recent certifications. Luckily, I have great references who can attest to my abilities and work ethic. Potential employers call them whenever I send out resumes. Just goes to show, you reap what you sow. Performing above and beyond on the job can help you down the road.

I don't think people list bad references if they can help it, but if you're an average worker, your reference will likely give off signals suggesting this. Many potential employers find out all they need to know with the following question... "Would you hire him/her if they wanted to come back?"
Sounds like you are talking more about something a previous employer/supervisor would say rather than a coworker/personal reference. If the reference is not a previous employer or other verifiable business, why should I believe that you haven't had me phone your brother or best friend who is going to lie about you?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Sounds like you are talking more about something a previous employer/supervisor would say rather than a coworker/personal reference. If the reference is not a previous employer or other verifiable business, why should I believe that you haven't had me phone your brother or best friend who is going to lie about you?
I've had the same thought before. For one thing, if the phone number is the same as, or an extension of the business's number, it's obvious the reference is real. The reference's position can also be verified by talking with another manager of the business. Outside of that, I guess HR would have to be creative or resourceful to verify the validity of the reference.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,419,790 times
Quote:
I've had the same thought before. For one thing, if the phone number is the same as, or an extension of the business's number, it's obvious the reference is real. The reference's position can also be verified by talking with another manager of the business. Outside of that, I guess HR would have to be creative or resourceful to verify the validity of the reference.
Sometimes the reference has already left the company the applicant used to work for, so what means would they have to verify that? They can't just call HR and ask information about the reference if such reference has already left the company....

Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
Quote:

...but if you're an average worker...

yikes! how DARE the worker not work so hard to make his employer rich? how dare he simply be average at a minimum wage or salaried job with no incentive to perform? how DARE he or she do just the bare minimum at a McJob? the very NERVE of these workers makes me irate! and my bank account slimmer.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
This is where I loved LinkedIn. Some of the companies I worked for are no longer in business -- there's no HR to call! But if my references list the same companies on their profiles, it somehow legitimizes everything. On applications, I still list these managers, but note that their contact number is a personal number.

It's not that every reference is checked. Some companies DO scrutinize them, some don't. But the absence of ANY reference is a huge red flag!

If an application requires references in addition to prior managers, I list coworkers at my last job whom I've worked with/for.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
How important are references? There is always a spot for them, but who lists a bad reference and how do you know they are not just the applicants' buddies talking them up? Do they serve a meaningful function, or just part of the sophisticated HR vetting strategy that includes "tell me where you want to be in 5 years?" as a means of figuring out which candidates may be the best?
No one would ever list a bad reference on purpose. That's stupid.

If a reference speaks badly of a person, then that reference is a slimey, conniving, snake douchebag.

Everyone should "test" their references to make sure they speak positively of them. You never know who the snake in the grasses are due to their "work mask" at the job.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

I would think most references would be someone in

1. Senior Management
2. HR
3. Former supervisors

Anything other that the 3 things above shouldn't even be submitted IMO

Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You never know who the snake in the grasses are due to their "work mask" at the job.
I agree. Most people act fake and put on a fake smile at work. It became pretty obvious to me when I got my first corporate job and encountered the fake "good morning", "how was your weekend?, "isn't it nice outside?" type stuff on a daily basis. It just all seemed so contrived to me, like they were acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search