Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times

Advertisements

In the past few weeks, I've read a number of posts from hiring managers complaining that they go through a number of resumes that are completely irrelevant to the job that was applied for. Now, I'm not saying that this suggestion will necessarily prevent this same thing from happening, but it could help provide some clarity to those applying for jobs. And hopefully it will cut down on the frivolous applications.

The problem I find with a lot of job postings is that they're vague and discreet. They are not usually clear about the level of the position (entry level, mid-level, senior level, etc.) and rarely ever disclose the salary range for said position. On occasion, they'll list the amount of years of experience in an ideal candidate. However, 1-3 years of experience doesn't really clarify the level of the position. 1-3 years sounds like entry level to me, but the job description will read as if they're looking for senior level management. Additionally, tell me what you're willing to pay for the position. There are so many positions listed that I'd think would demand XYZ salary, but I find out much later that the salary was significantly less. Give me a range to work with and I'll determine before applying (and wasting my time and your time) if it is a job I'm willing to take.

Again, I can't guarantee that this will necessarily prevent some folks from applying to positions they aren't qualified for, but I think it'd prevent a good amount of us serious job hunters from applying if we knew it wasn't what we were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM

Moderator cut: snip
I'm not unemployed, just searching for a job.

I make decent money for my age and experience at my full time job.

This is just something I've observed while looking at job postings.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 03-24-2013 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned section, personal comments

Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
I agree with you - to point.

I know I try to get specific in my postings, however, there can be multiple skills that are used in a specific role - this kind of necessitates the "We're looking for somebody with..." and a ton of skills/experience listed. I'll look for the person who checks the most boxes, and train the remainder of the boxes. By the time you're done posting out everything you're looking for in a finished product, it makes it look vague. I've never, ever, had a candidate come to me that met every skill/experience level - therefore, you kind of cast the net wide, get the biggest/best pool to choose from and go from there.

It's unfortunate for sure, since it comes across as "meet all this wishy washy stuff and you might get an interview", so people throw up resumes when they vaguely meet an idea of what I'm looking for.

The compensation piece, I totally agree with. Every job posting should clearly state the range you're hiring in - major pet peeve of mine! 90% of the jobs I hire for are heavily commission based, so it's tough for me to say "This job pays X", but I always post a "The compensation for this position is based on commission earnings, with a small base salary. First year target income is $XX,XXX" This way I set a realistic example of the earning potential, establish a target, and don't end up with a candidate that wants way more than what they'll likely earn.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Are these Craigslist postings? Send you resume, and reiterate briefly in your cover e-mail or letter the job you think you are applying for. For example: I am submitting my resume in application for the position of ___________/. Employers are responsible for making their ad clear. If they are getting resumes that are not applicable for the job, they will adjust their ad, trust me.

Good luck in your job search my friend.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
I agree one hundred percent with the op. And I am not unemployed either.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Are these Craigslist postings? Send you resume, and reiterate briefly in your cover e-mail or letter the job you think you are applying for. For example: I am submitting my resume in application for the position of ___________/. Employers are responsible for making their ad clear. If they are getting resumes that are not applicable for the job, they will adjust their ad, trust me.

Good luck in your job search my friend.
Well, here's a job posting example from Pepsi. From the ad, I have no idea if the job is entry level, mid level, or senior level, nor do I have a clue what they have budgeted for the salary. Some of these job applications take up to 40 mins, maybe more if you're revising your cover letter and resume to reflect the posting. If they would just tell me up front what these things are, I'd know whether or not to move on to the next one. Instead, I'm left wasting my time on applying for a job that may pay significantly less than what I'm currently making and the hiring manager is receiving a resume/application from a candidate who may not be interested.

Denver Route Logistics Analyst - CO, 80002

Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Well, here's a job posting example from Pepsi. From the ad, I have no idea if the job is entry level, mid level, or senior level, nor do I have a clue what they have budgeted for the salary. Some of these job applications take up to 40 mins, maybe more if you're revising your cover letter and resume to reflect the posting. If they would just tell me up front what these things are, I'd know whether or not to move on to the next one. Instead, I'm left wasting my time on applying for a job that may pay significantly less than what I'm currently making and the hiring manager is receiving a resume/application from a candidate who may not be interested.

Wow. Pretty detailed on the daily duties, and then...?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Wow. Pretty detailed on the daily duties, and then...?
Right? I recently applied and interviewed for a Logistics Analyst position with a F500 company. I ended up not getting the position, because they already had a temp doing the job duties and they ultimately hired him/her. However, my friend who works in another department found out the pay was around $35k/yr, which would be a pretty significant pay decrease for me. But I had no way of knowing any of this because the job posting was so vague. So not only did I waste my time (and half day of PTO), I wasted the interviewer's time because I wouldn't have accepted the position at that rate anyway.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I think we do a pretty good job on our announcements, and do include salaries, but still
get people that don't meet the minimum requirements applying. I had to upload as a txt so there is no formatting but you get the idea.
Attached Files
File Type: txt opening.txt (7.6 KB, 166 views)

Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Oh great. I see what you mean.

Here's something I found that may help you. Gives salary ranges at the end. Good news. This position you are applying for is one of the fastest growing professions. This may be information that is zero help to you or that you already know. If it is, so sorry I couldn't help.

Logistic Analyst Job Descriptions | eHow.com

What Are the Different Types of Logistics Jobs?

They may be vague for a reason--to draw in all talent. I would apply and indicate what you want for a salary, and then indicate somewhere that it is negotiable, if it is.

Good luck to you, and sorry I was no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search