Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

I think good chemistry is important on both sides. Even if someone has all the right qualifications and experience, if you believe they won't click with the rest of the team maybe look further afield. If you're interviewing for a job that sounds great but you're getting a bad vibe from the people or company as a whole, maybe rethink your application. I've taken jobs where I didn't feel good about the situation but was desperate enough to say yes, only to be utterly miserable for the next couple of years. I know this economy makes being picky really difficult but is it really worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
In corporate America, from my experiences, chemistry and being personable can set you apart from other candidates. Like the adage goes, "it's who you know, not what you know" combined with the fact that the person who is in charge of hiring you likes you = increasing chances you will get the job.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Are you a hiring manager? When you interview candidates who would work for you do you ever hire someone you don't like personally but see something in them that will get the job done?
You only get hired if the recruiter likes you so no.
Interviewing is basically courting if you know what I mean.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Are you a hiring manager? When you interview candidates who would work for you do you ever hire someone you don't like personally but see something in them that will get the job done?
You SHOULD factor chemistry into your hiring process. Studies show that there are so many more benefits to hiring someone that enjoys their work, their co-workers, and their boss -- productivity, engagement, happiness at work, etc.

Rarely are the finalists for an open position separated by anything relating to their ability to the job you're hiring for. At that point, pick the one that adds the most benefit to the company. In most cases, that benefit is in direct relation to how well that person fits in w/ the company culture.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Chemistry with the hiring manager is a valid consideration. It isn't necessarily the same thing as determining fit for organizational culture, though. And an early round HR only interviewer probably should not allow interpersonal chemistry to influence who they pass along to operations management - unless they can legitimately say that it is due to a poor cultural fit.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I once wrote on this forum that interviewing for a job is really selling them on yourself. They are really buying "you" and how well you are able to sell them on that figures a lot into the equation. Don't get me wrong, education, experience, good references are great. But at the end of the day, how they feel about you matters a lot. Depending on the job, person, company, etc., it could be everything.

I met with a lot of resistance when I mentioned this but I firmly believe it. Granted, I am in sales. But my resume is also heavy with journalism, tech support and office and administrative positions. And no matter if you are applying to be the customer sales person, the baker or the bean counter in the back, you have to win someone over.

And to the person that said they are looking for someone that isn't that extroverted, that is quiet like them, if someone is very good at interviews they can mirror their interviewer and be appealing to that personality as well. It is an art but like anything else, if you want it bad enough you can get very good at it.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Managers would rarely ever hire someone they disliked. Chemistry is very important. I have seen completely inept workers (with poor skills), but have a good relationship with their manager literally get away "with murder". While the hard worker, with not such a good relationship, is treated poorly by the same manager.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Well dating and interviewing are connected so I will say yes.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM

505 posts, read 765,275 times
It's very important...

The resume (education and work experience) will get you the interview.

The interview will get you the job.

The importance of chemistry depends a lot on the job. If the position is one where little interaction with others is required and the output is easily measureable, then it doesn't matter as much. For someone who is going to be working in a team everyday solving hard to quantify problems, the fit with the other team members in terms of both personality and skills is very important.

I don't think I've ever hired or recommended anyone I disliked, even if they could do the job. Why would you when there is another candidate who doesn't raise any red flags who can also do the job?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
It depends on why I dislike the person. Disliking someone because of something petty like their clothes aren't designer or because they seem nerdy or "uncool" is not a reason to not hire someone. But, disliking someone who comes across as untrustworthy, intimidating, overly aggressive, unstable, dishonest, would be a few reasons for me to pass on a candidate if I were in a hiring capacity.
Those are all excellent points! That is a good philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search