Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
In 2011, I got a new job, where nobody was fired, resigned or promoted. One dept opened up 50 positions 3 weeks ago. We already have 20 set to start next week. There will be more jobs at company expanding and adding new positions than at the companies where all the openings are from quits, being fired, or promotions. Promotions are especially hard to come by.

Well that is not happening with every company so my point remains that unless someone is fired, promoted, or resigns there won't be many openings to apply to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Quote:
Similarly, employee turnover (voluntary median monthly separation rates excluding layoffs, reductions-in-force, and departures of temporary staff), in tandem with slowing economic growth and rising rates of unemployment, has plunged from 1.0 percent of employers' workforces per month in 2008 to 0.5 percent in 2009. The weakening economy and job market appeared to discourage employees from seeking other job opportunities, as turnover rates shrank for employers in every category of industry and workforce size, and in every region of the country.
Study finds job absences, employee turnover at historic lows
So what does a story about 2008-09 have to do with 2013? Are going to repost this article in another 5 years in 2018? You could start going to job hunting skills classes, career ministries, career development classes and learn how to get an interview as an alternative.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Fill out the application online or in person, then show up at the establishment every few days. Say you are wondering about your application. Eventually the manager might get sick of seeing you and interview and/or hire you. Sorry! It's a screwed up system. Not sure what else you can do.
Or, more likely, they'll passive-aggressively put you down, call the cops on you, or go out of their way to ignore you even harder.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually people are getting hired. Obviously,as the unemployment rate continues to drop. People with good attitudes and no excuses get hired into entry level positions by the thousands every day.
People geting hired into jobs isn't the only reason the unemployment rate drops.

In fact, it's possible that's not even the MAIN reason behind the drop in unemployment.

Why the unemployment rate might soon stop falling

Quote:
...Remember, the official unemployment rate only measures people who are part of the “labor force” — that is, people who either have jobs or are actively looking for work. Since 2007, the U.S. labor force participation rate has shrunk dramatically:

Economists disagree on why this is, exactly. Some of it is likely structural — Americans are getting older and the Baby Boomers are starting to retire. But somewhere between one-third and one-half appears to be cyclical: A number of workers have been discouraged by the crummy job market and have given up looking for work altogether. Right now, there are about 6.9 million Americans who aren’t counted in the official unemployment rate but would still like a job...
Also, lets say an of 150,000 jobs have been created each month since the "end" of the recession. That equates to about 5,000 jobs per day. I highly doubt majority of those jobs were looking for entry-level candidates, given the slew of experienced candidates that companies can choose from.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
America is choke full of finger pointers, but when it comes to unemployment there are a lot of reasons. There is a glut of workers with similar skills all vying for a small pool of jobs. There are more jobs in the low paying service sector, but why would someone work for the same or less than they get on UI? Sure some are lazy and some, like me, have worked hard at applying and interviewing during the UI period. My biggest disadvantages are age and the last job I was terminated from in a reorg because I refused to quit.

I am 43 and applying for jobs when many are 28-33. Most my age are already sales managers but I like to be in sales so I believe that hiring managers look at me and say this guy is too old to pound the pavement which I am not. I works smarter than a 20 something.
Colorado,

I like your post. I find it very discouraging that you believe 43 is a "age factor." But, I do understand what you mean compared to someone in the 20s who has had a little work experience.

Yes, those who hire can make many assumptions unless we do something proactively to prove them wrong. How about offering to "volunteer" at the company and do a day "pounding the pavement," with a manager so there can be an accurate assessment of your skills, contacts etc. vs. someone with more limited experience? A manager probably can't spare the time but maybe someone else could (or maybe 2 others could spend half days with you). Just saying, offer... and if you need some type of specific security clearance, even a better reason for someone in the organization to accompany and observe your abilities. What is the worse than can happen, no job offer and meeting 1-2 in the company?

I do understand what you're saying by refusing to quit. Maybe there is a different way to restate that something like, "I was a loyal employee to Company X, given all they had done for me, working to the last day before new management consolidated positions," or something like that.

I hope this helps.

MSR

Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,437,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Colorado,

I like your post. I find it very discouraging that you believe 43 is a "age factor." But, I do understand what you mean compared to someone in the 20s who has had a little work experience.

Yes, those who hire can make many assumptions unless we do something proactively to prove them wrong. How about offering to "volunteer" at the company and do a day "pounding the pavement," with a manager so there can be an accurate assessment of your skills, contacts etc. vs. someone with more limited experience? A manager probably can't spare the time but maybe someone else could (or maybe 2 others could spend half days with you). Just saying, offer... and if you need some type of specific security clearance, even a better reason for someone in the organization to accompany and observe your abilities. What is the worse than can happen, no job offer and meeting 1-2 in the company?

I do understand what you're saying by refusing to quit. Maybe there is a different way to restate that something like, "I was a loyal employee to Company X, given all they had done for me, working to the last day before new management consolidated positions," or something like that.

I hope this helps.

MSR
Thanks I did offer to "volunteer" at one tech company and they looked at me strange and didn't go for it, but I would consider trying it again.

My interviews have really picked up so I am confident I should have something in the next month.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thanks I did offer to "volunteer" at one tech company and they looked at me strange and didn't go for it, but I would consider trying it again.

My interviews have really picked up so I am confident I should have something in the next month.

That's good news. How long has it been, since you worked?

Last edited by move4ward; 03-30-2013 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,380,928 times
There's a difference between finding a job and getting a job.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
You need LUCK on your side to find a job in 2013. Being at the right place at the right time.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,266,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You need LUCK on your side to find a job in 2013. Being at the right place at the right time.
Why are you still acting like you don't have a job?

You have one! Enough with the nonsense.

You must have found that good ole luck since you found your job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search