Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you told parried he should lie on his resume? and not jokingly, like the person you're quoting?

great advice d00d.
The wheels on their troll-mobile are getting a little flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,301 times
I have done much research on employment . I had the same problem of not being able to find a job and searching for one became a full time job +. It became very frustrating and my self esteem took a few blows.. It was then I stared to experiment and read many articles , books, forums, statistics, etc....min. wage Jobs are luck of being in the right place at the right time (%) jobs that don't require a certification or degree but have a decent salary or wage come from WHO you know , A persons network through friends and family

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Many of them probably got that factory job in 1950 too, or at least before this recession and free trade kicked in.
They very well might have. Do you think though that there are no manufacturing jobs anymore. None....zip....nada? If you do you are crazy. You all act like there are no jobs at all! I can look in ads or online and find plenty!

Quote:
you told parried he should lie on his resume? and not jokingly, like the person you're quoting?

great advice d00d.

The guy has no job. He hasn't in quite some time. I believe he is 23...at some point he will be 25...26 and older with very little or no job experience. I'm not saying put that he was the CEO of a Fortune 500. Just embelish whatever skills he has. He says he went to a "technical" school the last few years of HS. Fine emebelish the hell out of that.

Truthfully though. If he plain out lies and says he worked somewhere he did not. What will happen? He won't get the job....he has no job now! McDonalds, Wendys and a lot of the very low jobs aren't calling references. Or he can have a poor attitude and never get a job. Doesn't matter I'm sure if he doesn't get one at some point he will get some kind of government assistance and we all will be helping poor parried out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The wheels on their troll-mobile are getting a little flat.
Your troll-mobile (whatever the hell your making up now) crashed a long time ago. Keep spewing out disinformation and complain that there are no jobs left.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
They very well might have. Do you think though that there are no manufacturing jobs anymore. None....zip....nada? If you do you are crazy. You all act like there are no jobs at all! I can look in ads or online and find plenty!
I never said there weren't any jobs left (nor have I said there weren't anymore manufacturing jobs).

Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
The guy has no job. He hasn't in quite some time. I believe he is 23...at some point he will be 25...26 and older with very little or no job experience. I'm not saying put that he was the CEO of a Fortune 500. Just embelish whatever skills he has. He says he went to a "technical" school the last few years of HS. Fine emebelish the hell out of that.

Truthfully though. If he plain out lies and says he worked somewhere he did not. What will happen? He won't get the job....he has no job now! McDonalds, Wendys and a lot of the very low jobs aren't calling references. Or he can have a poor attitude and never get a job. Doesn't matter I'm sure if he doesn't get one at some point he will get some kind of government assistance and we all will be helping poor parried out.
how about he gets a job, they find out he lied later, and he loses his job and any reference he might have gotten? back to worse than square one.

never mind the simple immorality of what you are suggesting.

anyway everything you say is such a distortion of what people are saying to you that i don't really feel like engaging with you any more. i don't feel like explaining for the 100th time that no, i am not telling people there are no jobs and they shouldn't bother trying to find one, nor am i complaining about anything. so enjoy your "positive thinking" which seems to only involve tearing people down and telling them to do scummy things to get ahead. oh and pretending like we live in some imaginary 1950s world where everyone who works hard enough is rewarded and there are plenty of jobs for everyone.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
how about he gets a job, they find out he lied later, and he loses his job and any reference he might have gotten? back to worse than square one.

never mind the simple immorality of what you are suggesting.

anyway everything you say is such a distortion of what people are saying to you that i don't really feel like engaging with you any more. i don't feel like explaining for the 100th time that no, i am not telling people there are no jobs and they shouldn't bother trying to find one, nor am i complaining about anything. so enjoy your "positive thinking" which seems to only involve tearing people down and telling them to do scummy things to get ahead. oh and pretending like we live in some imaginary 1950s world where everyone who works hard enough is rewarded and there are plenty of jobs for everyone.
Morality? Per parried's own admission....he thinks employers are against him. If anything his "morality" is justified. Id rather lie to get a job than leech off the government or have no job at all. This is a dog eat dog world. Do something about it.

I love my "positive thinking". Maybe if others weren't so doom and gloom and have crap attitude they would achieve something in their short life on this planet. People need told the truth...do something about your problems or suffer a cruel harsh world with no job or achievements. Thanks for being done with me...I'm glad we can get back on topic.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are 194,296,087 (give or take a few thousand) adults between 18-65 in the USA. A healthy unemployment rate of 2% would mean that 155,436,886 people would be employed. The number of unemployed is hovering at around 12 million, and there are almost 4 million unfilled jobs. Over the next two years, the number of retirees (approximately 7,300,000) and the number of open jobs will equal the number of unemployed less the healthy 2% unemployment rate.

There will most likely be a continuity in regional high job vacancies and regional high unemployment rates. People in areas with high unemployment will either need to move or reinvent themselves to find work.

This, like the many before it, is cyclical. It will not last forever. However some people will need to realize that life as it has been is gone, and they will need to make changes in their lives.
There are a few issues I see:
1) Are these 7.3 million retirees actually retiring? The number of those able to retire has diminished dramatically since 2007 when 401Ks started to tank.
2) Are these 7.3 million retirees helping ready companies for their impending departure. Many times of late, people have stayed on due to lack of the lack of pipeline employees to replace them.
3) The math is close but that is only going by the BLS data that does not include those who are out of the job search for various reasons (farm work; college or vocational training; being underemployed; and not looking because of lack of options, mental illness, ect.) There is as many as 23 million Americans included in the "real" unemployment rate when other factors are included. There would still be 12 million Americans out of work, though hopefully they could get work due to increases in demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What's the percentage of those unfilled jobs don't have qualifications? Not every job opening can be filled by the Average Joe.

That is the issue. If college graduates cannot get entry-level jobs because of 2+ year (relevant) experience, odds are others are in a similar boat whether it is experience or education background.

Quote:
It is not my fault or anyone elses that you have no qualifications. And no you don't need to go to college to do some of these jobs. Be a plumber, work in a factory and earn your way up to a manager role. You might not be making 70k a year, but it is far from a mere 20k a year and barely skating by. Do something about it!
Do you need college for the direct job requirements no, but the all too common desirable requirements disagree. The issue is in this world right now there is only so much you can do.

Quote:
Morality? Per parried's own admission....he thinks employers are against him. If anything his "morality" is justified. Id rather lie to get a job than leech off the government or have no job at all. This is a dog eat dog world. Do something about it.

I love my "positive thinking". Maybe if others weren't so doom and gloom and have crap attitude they would achieve something in their short life on this planet. People need told the truth...do something about your problems or suffer a cruel harsh world with no job or achievements. Thanks for being done with me...I'm glad we can get back on topic.
People like you make me sick. I do not know why you must say that lying is permissible if anyone catches him in the lie, he is done for. That job is gone and likely others who have connections with the hiring manager. it is a scarlet letter than unlike unemployment is hard to fight. Being unemployed you just need a job and you are suddenly employable. Lying however doesn't go away due to word of mouth. It is a knock against you before they even look at what your resume/application. Plain and simple, lying can haunt your future for a longer time than unemployment will.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The term is "Just World Fallacy."

It is based upon the notion that everyone gets what they deserve in life, and may have its roots in certain Puritan beliefs, which might explain why it is so common in America.

Basically, if you succeed in life, you deserve it. If you fail, you also deserve it. Back in the day, people who suffered grave misfortune must have been "sinners" - or perhaps the children of "sinners" - who were "getting what they deserved" as punishment. Now, such exact excuses are rarely used, but the concept is the same. If you were laid off, you "deserved it."

This also ties into the common delusion by those who are successful and egotistical - they MUST believe that they alone are the root of their own success since their huge ego requires it. They cannot accept the notion that luck plays a huge role in how a person's life plays out, from where they were born, their health, etc.

The flip side of this is if they believe that all their success is caused solely by their own actions, than clearly this must be true for everyone. So, if a person fails, it is because they "didn't try hard enough" and "aren't successful/smart/strong/good-looking like me."

This mindset is a borderline mental illness in this nation given how badly it warps people's views and how this belief has stifled many forms of social progress simply because the fortune and delusional refuse to help "those people who are failures because they deserve it."
Excellent analysis of American society!
I swear if I hear another person mention, "what comes around goes around," or "everything happens for a reason," I might jump of a cliff.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Excellent analysis of American society!
I swear if I hear another person mention, "what comes around goes around," or "everything happens for a reason," I might jump of a cliff.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...... sorry punchy hour.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...... sorry punchy hour.
The thing is these are true but you do not want to hear "buck up and put on your big boy/girl pants on." In that situation. People will figure it out on there own in time.

I do agree with the problem of the Just World fallacy. I am a believer in fate and that we are put to challenges to see what we are made for but our successes and failures are often times not mutually exclusive to us. Sure there are times you get fired for a bad call you make (on your own decision.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search