Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Your math is based on the assumption that there are 30 perfect candidates. In reality, there aren't. For every position I filled and helped to fill, there are only maybe 1 or 2 "perfect" candidates. The rest of candidates are just ... not a good fit, put it politely. I have never had the pleasure to decide even among 3 candidates. :-(
you are not getting it. i already said that there is really no such thing as a truly perfect candidate. i am describing an unrealistic scenario in order to make a point. the plausibility of x number of perfect candidates existing has nothing to do with the very, very simple math.

let's try it this way. there are 3 guys. there is 1 cookie. in order to get a cookie you have to be 5'10". all 3 guys are exactly the same height. does every guy get a cookie? no, because there is only 1. are the 2 guys who don't get cookies not actually 5'10"? why no, there just aren't enough cookies to go around.

Quote:
For your personal note, you should be able to get one offer out of 3-4 interviews. If not, I would guess there is something that you need to work on.
gee thanks for the advice, but i already said i'm working on my interview skills. i am constantly self-evaluating and asking others for evaluation where i can. in any case, your assertion seems unrealistic in today's economy. my numbers (1 job for every 3 job seekers) come from actual legitimate statistics. where do your numbers (3-4 interviews to get a job or there's something wrong with you) come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
For your personal note, you should be able to get one offer out of 3-4 interviews. If not, I would guess there is something that you need to work on.
I don't think that is true. Not all interviews are the same for one. You can have several three different interviews but they are not the exact same. There's three or four different interviews you can have. There's traditional (even by skype), phone, behavioral, panel interviews and situational. Each require different skills. This is excluding different interviewers. Then there is the fact that there is no way to know if you are better than the candidate before you.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
The simple fact remains, there are not a lot of jobs to apply to right now

Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
To answer the OP - it's a mindset. If you are convinced you have an employment handicap, you have one. If you have confidence in yourself and want to be employed and get out there and hustle (despite the market), you will find employment.

If you're really clever you can become an entrepreneur like many immigrants since the dawn of time.

You make your own luck. It's up to you. You get to decide.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i heard that if you click your heels together and wish SUPER HARD, you will find a job. but only if you are pure of heart. and a virgin.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:09 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i heard that if you click your heels together and wish SUPER HARD, you will find a job. but only if you are pure of heart. and a virgin.
Should one also wear ruby slippers and say "I wish I had a job! I wish I had a job!" while doing that?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You make your own luck.
There's no such thing as making your own luck.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't think that is true. Not all interviews are the same for one. You can have several three different interviews but they are not the exact same. There's three or four different interviews you can have. There's traditional (even by skype), phone, behavioral, panel interviews and situational. Each require different skills. This is excluding different interviewers. Then there is the fact that there is no way to know if you are better than the candidate before you.

Agreed.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's no such thing as making your own luck.
There absolutely is.

Funny how the harder a person works and the more a person studies the 'luckier' that person gets.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was talking to a relative, and I was telling him my circumstances and constraints of getting employment, and he was of the assumption that I'm making excuses for myself. He said that there are millions and millions of people in the developing world who would love to be in my position, and that there's no reason for me to make "excuses". Does he have a valid point?
Your relative is wrong.

Not only does the individualist explanation fail to account for why unemployment rates rise and fall with fluctuations in the economy (if it were all about some people being lazy, you'd expect employment levels to hold more or less steady), it fails to account for why such large numbers of people become unemployed all at the same time, or why so many people who have been diligently looking for work for years are still unemployed. Sure, working hard to find a job is important. But blaming 100% of the problem on individuals is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search