Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Your relative is wrong.

Not only does the individualist explanation fail to account for why unemployment rates rise and fall with fluctuations in the economy (if it were all about some people being lazy, you'd expect employment levels to hold more or less steady), it fails to account for why such large numbers of people become unemployed all at the same time, or why so many people who have been diligently looking for work for years are still unemployed. Sure, working hard to find a job is important. But blaming 100% of the problem on individuals is crazy.
How is blaming something you have no control over ever a productive exercise? You should absolutely put 100% of the blame on yourself. If you blame the economy, you will sit back, throw up your hands and say "well, it isn't my fault!" If you blame yourself, you will push yourself to work harder and make something of yourself.

For anything (not just job hunting), blaming something you have no control over does nothing to help the situation, so why do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There absolutely is.

Funny how the harder a person works and the more a person studies the 'luckier' that person gets.
There's no such thing as making your own luck.

The very definition of "luck" is something that happens beyond your control.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
you can recognize that there are factors beyond your control in your job search and still work on the ones that are within your control. acknowledging reality doesn't have to mean "throwing up your hands" and giving up.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's no such thing as making your own luck.

The very definition of "luck" is something that happens beyond your control.
Let's look at a scenario. Three years ago, at my old job I was working in IT. An event beyond my control would be if they got rid of my job, but had a job opening in the finance department. Three years ago if that would have happened, I would have been out on the street since I had no finance experience.

Fast forward to today. I have spent a few years studying finance on the side and can now prove I have skills in that area. If I was still in IT and that same situation came up, I could easily take the job in finance because I improved my skills to handle a new scenario that is beyond my control.

That is making your own luck. The alternative is to sit on your ass, not improve yourself and blame 'bad luck' when something happens that you could have prepared for.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
How is blaming something you have no control over ever a productive exercise? You should absolutely put 100% of the blame on yourself. If you blame the economy, you will sit back, throw up your hands and say "well, it isn't my fault!" If you blame yourself, you will push yourself to work harder and make something of yourself.

For anything (not just job hunting), blaming something you have no control over does nothing to help the situation, so why do it?
I less interested in what is "productive" than in what is TRUE.

Recognizing it is not all about you is actually empowering, not debilitating. People seek work because they have to. But if they know they can do their very best and still have trouble, they won't end up hating themselves.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you can recognize that there are factors beyond your control in your job search and still work on the ones that are within your control. acknowledging reality doesn't have to mean "throwing up your hands" and giving up.
Fair enough.

But making the best of situation you can't control isn't the same thing as "making your own luck."

Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM

i was actually responding to the post above yours!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I less interested in what is "productive" than in what is TRUE.

Recognizing it is not all about you is actually empowering, not debilitating. People seek work because they have to. But if they know they can do their very best and still have trouble, they won't end up hating themselves.
I want to find a way to succeed regardless of external circumstances. What is productive in getting me to that goal is the only truth I need.

I will beat myself up as long as it takes for me to build the skills needed to accomplish my goals. Blaming an external factor does nothing but make a person complacent.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
I want to find a way to succeed regardless of external circumstances. What is productive in getting me to that goal is the only truth I need.

I will beat myself up as long as it takes for me to build the skills needed to accomplish my goals. Blaming an external factor does nothing but make a person complacent.
I agree with your attitude of not giving up in the face of adversity. What I don't agree with is this attitude that anyone who doesn't do what you do is somehow a lazy loser deserving contempt. That is the epitome of the tone deafness that characterizes a lot of the unwarranted animosity toward those unemployed due to the upheavals in our economy.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Blaming an external factor does nothing but make a person complacent.
maybe that's the case for you personally, but not everyone is the same as you.

for me, knowing that i am an excellent candidate and that there are external factors working against me keeps me going. i am still always looking for ways to improve, but if i took every rejection personally and blamed myself 100%, i'd be in a deep depression right now. plus it just wouldn't be true.

i mean, for example, i recently applied for a job (kind of a sideline job) answering customer service e-mails for a dating site. i was a close second to someone who was a longtime user of the site. i was told that if a new position opens up, it's mine, but i still didn't get the job. so if i was to take your advice and blame myself, i guess i could.... start cruising for dudes on the internet just in case something like this comes up again? become an active user of every website that has a customer service team? i've been in a relationship the entire time this website has existed, and i'm married now, so it's not like i had any reason to use it. i think it's fair that they chose that guy over me, but it's still not my fault. there's nothing i could have done to change this except going back in time and/or becoming a different person. or i guess i could have lied. things like this happen all the time when people are hiring. more than one person is great, but one person edges the others out for whatever reason. it doesn't mean the second choice person wouldn't also have done a great job.

another personal example - i was second choice for the job i have now. the first choice was a no-show on her first day. my bosses absolutely love me and rely on me, i get exemplary reviews, they've gone out of their way to get me a bigger merit raise, etc. but if that person had bothered coming in to work, they never would have hired me. so it's not like if you don't get a job, you're a miserable failure and there's something wrong with you. if there's more than one top notch candidate, they can't both get the job, you know?

Last edited by groar; 05-17-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search