Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I have not been offered any job yet, but I do apply to all jobs I am qualified for $12 or more. Unemployment is around $11, but I don't have the extra gas expense to commute and daycare, that I have while working full time.

So what I am getting to, I should not be taking any ole minimum wage job for the sake of getting off unemployment, as some suggest? I just don't see this as being a benefit until I have no income at all from unemployment.

Please don't take a job paying lower than UC. You are doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You don't have a point because even though I refused to take a $12 job I was still able found something a lot better with benefits.
Good for you... still doesn't change the fact your job hunting advice to those who are unemployed is something that you yourself DID NOT do while unemployed.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Good for you... still doesn't change the fact your job hunting advice to those who are unemployed is something that you yourself DID NOT do while unemployed.

Actually I started to become less picky but just got lucky toward the end of the year. When it looked like i wasn't going to find a job before UC ran out my plan was to finish out my lease and move back home with Mom and restart the job search. So at that point I probably would have went to a agency.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

225 posts, read 344,434 times
You may actually be eligible for more benefits if you take a job. I don't qualify for some because I collect disability, but I was told (by someone in the system), that I would be eligible for much more if I made an additional $600 by *working.* Unfortunately, I can't.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
I was unemployed for about a year and a half in 2008 and 2009, and I struggled with some of the same questions that you are asking. Whenever I had decisions to make, I asked myself if the step would help lead me to a better or equivalent job than the job I had previously, and I let that be my guide.

So, after 8 months of being unemployed, I was referred to and accepted a 3-month temp job. The job itself was not a job I wanted, but it was in my industry, and would help my resume, so I took it. Afterwards the temp agency asked me if I wanted to interview for another temp job. However, this one paid less, would have had high commuting costs, required skills I did not have, and was at a company where I had worked in the past. So, I turned down the interview as the job would have not have helped my next steps at all, and it would have hurt me financially. As a side note, unemployment and temp jobs can be tricky and risky, so best to make sure you know all the rules and what effect a temp job could have on unemployment benefits, if any, before applying for a temp job.

So I would say to make decisions based on long term effects, and don't take a job just to have a job as long as you are OK financially. So, if there is a temp job or a different kind of job that doesn't pay as well, but could lead to something or let you make connections, it might be worth considering. If you start to find that the length of time you have been unemployed could be making things more difficult, or if you need to refresh your work skills, then a fill in job could be worth considering for those reasons.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
I was unemployed for about 5 months, then I took a job that paid anything, just to keep experience on my resume.

After I got that job, 6 weeks later I found another job that was full time and paid quite a bit more. Unfortunately it was a temp position, but with no end in sight.

Now 2 months later I just got an interview for a full time position that has the potential to hopefully double my salary

You never know what can come from a temp position!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM

373 posts, read 643,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
You may actually be eligible for more benefits if you take a job. I don't qualify for some because I collect disability, but I was told (by someone in the system), that I would be eligible for much more if I made an additional $600 by *working.* Unfortunately, I can't.
Like what?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 AM

33 posts, read 58,975 times
My story : laid off in August 2012. Actively looking for new position in my field. I accepted a job as a substitute teacher. I am in Texas. I can earn and keep an additional $106 per week and still get my unemployment. If I earn more than that, my unemp will be reduced by that amount for that week. This had worked out for me because subbing allows me to get out and do something I enjoy, also give flexibility of being able to schedule work around interviews and gives me some extra money. I have t be careful, because if I work 30 hours a week for 5 weeks, I can lose unemp. I really hope to be employed soon, I have been unemp for 7 months, subbing will be over in June so I want to make sure to have something in my normal field soon, Btw, I also reported my earnings to unemployment, my check was delayed but only by about a week and then it resumed once they confirmed the fact that I had a contract, as needed job. After about 4 months of no work, I had to do something to get back into a routine and get out of the house. I have been working non stop for 25 years and am used to and enjoy being in the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search