Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
You really don't have a clue how the economy works, do you? Outsourcing is not just low level call center jobs. Corporate executives are trying to outsource just about everything except for their own C level jobs. What type of economy do you think will be left in the US when virtually all jobs a gone? Do you think life will be pleasant under Alan Greenspan's delusional "service economy"? Yes, a nation of burger flippers and investment bankers. I've worker on both ends of the outsourcing spectrum, I've seen the damage it does. It provides inferior service while at the same time destroying inside knowledge that can never be replaced.
You said it well, very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I get exasperated every dang time I call up Cap. One or even T-Mobile and get some person that has such a thick accent that I have an incredibly difficult time understanding them. It gets old. I do notice that when I get a true American on the line, I can actually have a decent conversation with them and understand each and every word that person is saying. And as for asking to speak to someone in the US? Wow, when I did ask for that, the guy overseas on the other side of the phone had dead air silence and just continued his spiel of incomprehensible English. Just charges on and pretends I had not asked. Its like they freakin mock us when they just keep saying they understand my frustrations.
I go home at night so totally frustrated by all this. We are destroying our own country for what - a profit? Then, we end up spending billions to have more people on unemployment? Does not make sense.

Personally, I'm not a Walmart fan - I miss the flavor that each neighborhood had - do we really need a Super Walmart in every town?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And why do you think they have not been re-investing those profits? In times of uncertain regulatory and economic futures given anti-government action, reinvestment of capital slows. Look at economic profit, not accounting profit and you see a very different story. Economic profit is being squeezed greatly, and regardless of what is reported on a 10k, that matters more than accounting profits.

You just made exactly my point...
No you made yourself look foolish and now you are trying to spin it with accounting terminology. You can't have it both ways don't start hedging your point since you were exposed as wrong.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
What a simplistic global economic view some have.

We have policies which drive cost to do business in the US up then wonder why we have to bailout GM? We have many Americans who treat capital as if its free.... no concern for profits are rate of return ...capital provided is viewed as other people's money and for society to tax and push around until it goes off shore (OPM). So lets raise tax rates on those providing capital it wont stop them from spending or investing, really?

Lets raise business costs for jobs in the US via Obamacare (billed as affordable care while it has not lowered health care cost) etc, we dont care if they make a profit because its OPM. Big deficits, no problem lets raise taxes on OPM. US taxes global income while other civilized society's tax income earned within their borders. We bash business, threaten CEO's tax OPM as if they have no choice but to take then....then we wonder why jobs are leaving this land? We tell business over and over we dislike them and they leave and then we are surprised? Do we have a logic problem?

We need jobs and want good jobs, we need to learn to work together but our leaders cant and wont and neither apparently will OPM's owners and the masses... we are on opposing sides, not a good place to be when we need jobs.

Expect the gov to fix this? They cant even deliver the mail..

Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
All this talk of Obama care, corp taxes rates are too high doesn't change this fact.

Workers in Chindia make $1-2 hour which the last time I checked is quite a delta from even the American min wage. This occurred before Obama came in office and continues to occur.

And for those that think we should go to a Irish corp. tax model to attract jobs, which I am interested in, I have Irish relatives and what they told me is now they the civilian subsidizes those low corp taxes in the form of higher personal taxes. There is no free lunch folks and we all know it.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
All you have to do is state that you would like to speak to someone in the US and you will be transferred to someone in the US. So, as you already have the choice, what is the issue?
err...you know this for a fact, do you? I'm impressed. You're pretty knowledgeable about the way phone queuing works.

How does the process itself work, again, for companies that have NO stateside customer support?

Please share. I'm all ears, bunny!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post

We have policies which drive cost to do business in the US up then wonder why we have to bailout GM? We have many Americans who treat capital as if its free.... no concern for profits are rate of return ...capital provided is viewed as other people's money and for society to tax and push around until it goes off shore (OPM). So lets raise tax rates on those providing capital it wont stop them from spending or investing, really?

Lets raise business costs for jobs in the US via Obamacare (billed as affordable care while it has not lowered health care cost) etc, we dont care if they make a profit because its OPM. Big deficits, no problem lets raise taxes on OPM. US taxes global income while other civilized society's tax income earned within their borders. We bash business, threaten CEO's tax OPM as if they have no choice but to take then....then we wonder why jobs are leaving this land? We tell business over and over we dislike them and they leave and then we are surprised? Do we have a logic problem?

We need jobs and want good jobs, we need to learn to work together but our leaders cant and wont and neither apparently will OPM's owners and the masses... we are on opposing sides, not a good place to be when we need jobs.

The government seems to think there are plenty of jobs: Silicon Valley braces for high stakes H1B visa lottery | abc7news.com

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
No you made yourself look foolish and now you are trying to spin it with accounting terminology. You can't have it both ways don't start hedging your point since you were exposed as wrong.
...no....I referenced economic profit from the start.

Do you have any clue what I am referring to? Referencing links to ThinkProgress as a viable news source and not understanding how firms calculate opportunity cost (which is not reflected in accounting profits!) makes a person look foolish.

Obviously my point went completely over your head, you had no clue what economic profit was, didn't bother to look it up and still don't understand why it is so important.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Three things. First, please don't use thinkprogress as a news source. It has as much intellectual weight as Rush Limbaugh.

Second, did you miss where I stated that you need to look at economic profit instead of accounting profit?

Third, why do you think most corporations don't pay taxes? Could it be because other countries have such lower tax rates that they take profits outside of the united states (bringing jobs out of the country and increasing foreign work for US based companies).
Former Reagan administration economist Bruce Bartlett has come to similar conclusions as Think Progress.
Bruce Bartlett: Cutting the Corporate Tax Rate Is No Economic Panacea - NYTimes.com

Are there any studies that show economic profit is declining?

Most corporations don't pay taxes because they are incorporated as S chapter corporations whose profits flow down to the shareholders of the corporation. The shareholders are then taxed on that flow through income. C corporations (publicly traded corporations) pay corporate taxes.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post

Don't have time to respond to your entire post, but I will say this: the government can deliver the mail. Try sending a letter from NY to Alaska via UPS for only $0.46. Also, try finding a UPS facility in a rural community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search