Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times

Advertisements

That's stuff you are also taught in high school so no excuses. You want them to see how serious you are, you dress nice, PERIOD. In our high school we had "exit interviews" (we were the first year to start that) and we were expected to bring a portfolio of our accomplishments, dress nicely, etc. I was actually DINGED for crossing my legs during the interview!

Anyways I do believe it, I've interviewed people before, most of the time people dressed very nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I cannot believe the way some of our applicants dress for interviews. These are NOT entry level jobs and the competition is fierce. Yet, some applicants show up dressed for a day at the beach or a night at the ballpark.

Yesterday an applicant came in for his scheduled interview wearing a t-shirt, baseball cap, shorts and flip flops. Women have come in dressed in yoga pants. A few weeks ago a man was wearing a beer shirt.

Our company sends a letter explaining the interview process, and it states that it will be a three-part interview and that the total time will be up to two hours. So maybe these applicants want to wear comfortable clothing since they know they will be spending two hours here?

Once two men checked in at the same time, and I took them upstairs to begin the interview process. Once was dressed in a suit and tie, the other was dressed like a beach bum. Beach bum complained that the letter didn't say "to dress up" so how was he supposed to know?

Just yesterday a man arrived an hour and 15 minutes late for his interview. He didn't say a word, just signed in. When I mentioned the time that he had been scheduled for, he told me that he and him mom went out to lunch and it took longer than he thought it would.
I used to interview applicants for positions in my last job, And even in times where the job market was brighter I used to see this. People taking out their cell phones (This was before smartphones were common) showing up disheveled, Or just a bad attitude. One of the most basic skills in job hunting, regardless of where it is learned is to look professional. and neat. Some jobs may not require a suit and tie but clean pressed clothing, Shined shoes and looking put together is a must. The first impression says a lot and if this is good an applicant is already on the right foot. Skills and personality hopefully follow it.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
So maybe these applicants want to wear comfortable clothing since they know they will be spending two hours here?

Nope. Those applicants are lazy or completely unmotivated. I find wearing a suit to be very uncomfortable, but I'll deal with it if it means I make a good impression. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire them if they can't be bothered to at least make some effort.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
The most hilarious was when I was working high tech sales and this guy comes in for SM role in an Hawaiian shirt with casual slacks! My GM did interview him but cut it short.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I had one candidate who came in with jacket and tie but a loud shirt and he said he wanted to stand out from other candidates -- well, he did. He was the first one to be rejected.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Nope. Those applicants are lazy or completely unmotivated. I find wearing a suit to be very uncomfortable, but I'll deal with it if it means I make a good impression. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire them if they can't be bothered to at least make some effort.
If your suit is uncomfortable, that means it's badly tailored. An ill-fitting suit looks worse than no suit at all. It makes you look like a bouncer or a limo driver. Spend the extra 500 bucks and get it done right.

That said, and I grant that the basic expectation in the past is that people look nice for interviews, expecting IT guys to look all "business attire" is hopeless. It's not the industry standard. They're going to be coding with pizza crumbs all over them, or crawling under desks in kakis and golf shirts.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
I remember one time we were hiring for the person who would take my position, so my manager wanted my input on the candidates. Mind you this was about 20 years ago and it was a receptionist position, so being presentable was key.

One girl showed up in red high heels, fishnet stockings, a mini skirt and a shirt that barely held her boobs in. This wouldn't have been so bad, but she was at least 300 lbs. It wasn't even put together well, either, she looked like she just woke up from a walk of shame and came to the interview right after.

Another girl insisted on keeping her sunglasses on during the interview and chewing her gum the entire time.

If you can't be bothered to even make an effort to look presentable on an interview, don't expect the employer to be bothered enough to get back to you with a response.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I always dress on the conservative side for interviews (usually - blue wool jacket, gray wool slacks and a nice pressed dress cotton shirt). I can remove the jacket and roll up my sleeves if I want to appear more casual.

But, if I came dressed in beach clothes, there's nothing I can do at the interview to make myself appear more formal.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
this isn't an interview story, but i used to work for a company that ran public flu shot clinics. one of the *nurses* showed up for a clinic, to give shots to the public, in a short skirt and belly shirt. seriously?? we fired her. there were a couple of other issues (like shooting the excess vaccine in the syringe up into the air instead of back into the vial and wasting it), but the way she presented herself was the main thing.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Personally, I think anyone should have the sense to show up for an interview in clean clothing, free of anything written, should havr a recent haircut, and should ave the maturity to convery the sense of a stable, responsible character.

But I have worn a necktie to an interview for thew last time; overdressing, and displaying any eagerness to indulge the collection of senseless foibles that characterize "Korporate behavior" today is an open invitation to spend the rest of your life indulging those foibles -- and wondering why you hate the way things turn out.

Admittedly, I'm old enough, and secure enough both emotionally and financially, to get awy with this; but if a susbstantial porion of the labor force just took a stant that "Busines casual is business enough", the manipulators and phomies in their expensive trappings wouldn't be able to do much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search