Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

I am a very firm believer in going with one's gut, when information is lacking. In fact, in those cases when I've ignored the warning bells in my mind, I've regretted it. Always. I actually hung up on a potential employer once because just the tone of his voice made me feel like I should take a shower after talking to him. Did I miss a fantastic opportunity? Maybe, but I doubt it.

If you're experiencing some discomfort, there's probably a good reason for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
okay here is an update no financial statements at all and cannot find out if they are a dba or another type of company there is just so much I cannot find out that it scares me .I actually used a friends cell phone and called the company and the girl does not even know who the owner is and she did manage to tell me its a ware house . i dont know this has just got me so puzzled and Im looking at if I have to do this much work and ask this many ?s about it , it has me worried and that tells me alot but Im going to try one more thing and see if it pans out if not then i will contact their head hunter and tell her thanks , but no thanks . I will not work for crooks or scammers and dont need that kind of trouble in my life .

Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I agree. If you've done everything possible to find out anything at all about this company, short of travelling to their location, I would politely back out of continuing with this. Even businesses that people run out of their garage have a website these days!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
You have answered your own questions. You could not find out much information on the company and your instincts are telling you not to accept the job.

Good luck with finding a suitable job.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I actually used a friends cell phone and called the company and the girl does not even know who the owner is and she did manage to tell me its a ware house .
Google the phone number or use reverse lookup to see what appears.
Call them again and ask for the email address of the HR contact, and ask for the web address for the company. Ask for the actual address and look it up on Google's street view. You can also see who owns the property -- the county/town would have these records.

I'm trying to figure out where you are in the hiring process -- it sounds like the recruiter screened you, and then what? Did they set up an interview yet, or just forward your information on to the company? The recruiter will have an email address for them -- red flags if it's a Yahoo or Google address.

Nothing on LinkedIn either?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM

340 posts, read 913,915 times
Normally I check glassdoor, but in your case, I have no idea.

Sorry!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
it is okay cause I m done with them and found out what i needed to find out ... self employed thing and im not doing that .

Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM

296 posts, read 625,799 times
This reminds me of an interview appointment that I recently canceled because of finding some derogatory information about the company on the BBB website, a day before the interview. There was very little information elsewhere on the 'net about this company, but I'm thankful that I at least found out about the negative BBB rating.

OP, proceed with caution.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
it is okay cause I m done with them and found out what i needed to find out ... self employed thing and im not doing that .
There you have it we were all right to feel bad vibes about it. Your gut was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search