Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,850 times

Advertisements

I had a situation a few months ago where I had to choose between being demoted or getting laid off from work. My salary remained the same. The reason for the demotion was my group was eliminated.

I have read one suggestion that said to put the various job titles you've had at the company on the same line such as supervisor, assistant manager, manager. Then highlight responsibilities from each job. This seems like a good idea, but can it be perceived as being dishonest?

Anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,392,296 times
Yes a lot of my former sales managers had to do the same and become salespeople like me. It's not a demotion get that out of your head! It was a company reorg and since you were a top performer you were not laid off. It's all about perception and framing the story!

If a hiring manager ask you point blank don't embellish but a resume' is a marketing document so sell yourself.

I was so valuable to the company that they chose not to lay me off like so many others.

See how that sounds better? Demotion=loser. Not laid off=valuable asset.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,628,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Yes a lot of my former sales managers had to do the same and become salespeople like me. It's not a demotion get that out of your head! It was a company reorg and since you were a top performer you were not laid off. It's all about perception and framing the story!

If a hiring manager ask you point blank don't embellish but a resume' is a marketing document so sell yourself.

I was so valuable to the company that they chose not to lay me off like so many others.

See how that sounds better? Demotion=loser. Not laid off=valuable asset.
Sounds about right to me.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I had a situation a few months ago where I had to choose between being demoted or getting laid off from work. My salary remained the same. The reason for the demotion was my group was eliminated.

I have read one suggestion that said to put the various job titles you've had at the company on the same line such as supervisor, assistant manager, manager. Then highlight responsibilities from each job. This seems like a good idea, but can it be perceived as being dishonest?

Anyone have experience with this?
If your willing to divulge what was your former title and what is your new title?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Say the Company restructured. How would the new employer even notice you were demoted?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,357,267 times
Company A
Position 1/Position 2
2005- Present

There was no demotion, you were not given a pay cut. Honestly, job titles mean very little to people in other companies, and when you do not have to disclose a pay cut, no one thinks it was a demotion.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,850 times
Thanks for the replies so far. I have worked at this company for 10 years. My progress and job titles go like this

Accountant, Supervisor, Manager. As a supervisor and manager I actually had a staff of 5 people and dealt with personnel duties such as hiring, firing, and giving employee's annual reviews (among other duties).

My group was eliminated and I was told flat out that I can accept a lower job (at the same pay) or I will be let go. My ego was saying to let them fire me, but if you're offered another job in the same company at the same pay I doubt you can refuse that and collect unemployment. Its also easier to get a job when you have a job.

I was actually bumped down 2 steps to accountant. (I was a manager for 6 years)
I think it was just dumb luck that someone quit in a different dept at the same time my group was eliminated. My employer probably figured here's a guy that we don't even have to train. Why not put him in that position.

Its been 6 months since this happened and I don't see a way out of this unless I quit. It's been my experience if you are a good employee no one ever wants to trade you or promote you out of your current group. My career at this company is over as far as I can see.

If I list all my positions on the same line on my resume, accountant, supervisor, manager
while that is true it's not 100% true.

I don't want something like this coming back to me later if I was hired as a manager at another company. In the current employment environment employers are scrutinizing their applicants (and current employees) vigorously.

This is why I'm curious how others have handled this situation as an employee or hiring manager.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,600,567 times
You can list all your roles/titles on one line. However I do suggest that you get your head straight about the situation. Due to reorganization, the department you managed and the staff was laid off except for you...the manager. The company retained you in the only open spot that was a fit so at this time you are performing as an accountant. No reduction in pay was implemented. You, however, believe you are most effective when you are in the team manager role so you are looking for a new job that will allow you to perform in the role you feel most effective rather than wait until your company has a spot for you as a manager. No one has told you that you won't be considered for a manager job when there is a new reorganization so don't go jumping to conclusions. Ditch the dramatic spin you are telling yourself and if you believe you were a good manager have confidence that another employer will see you as a fit for a management job or your present employer will offer you the next manager job that fits.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I have worked at this company for 10 years. My progress and job titles go like this

Accountant, Supervisor, Manager. As a supervisor and manager I actually had a staff of 5 people and dealt with personnel duties such as hiring, firing, and giving employee's annual reviews (among other duties).

My group was eliminated and I was told flat out that I can accept a lower job (at the same pay) or I will be let go. My ego was saying to let them fire me, but if you're offered another job in the same company at the same pay I doubt you can refuse that and collect unemployment. Its also easier to get a job when you have a job.

I was actually bumped down 2 steps to accountant. (I was a manager for 6 years)
I think it was just dumb luck that someone quit in a different dept at the same time my group was eliminated. My employer probably figured here's a guy that we don't even have to train. Why not put him in that position.

Its been 6 months since this happened and I don't see a way out of this unless I quit. It's been my experience if you are a good employee no one ever wants to trade you or promote you out of your current group. My career at this company is over as far as I can see.

If I list all my positions on the same line on my resume, accountant, supervisor, manager
while that is true it's not 100% true.

I don't want something like this coming back to me later if I was hired as a manager at another company. In the current employment environment employers are scrutinizing their applicants (and current employees) vigorously.

This is why I'm curious how others have handled this situation as an employee or hiring manager.
I think bunny's advice is best but I don't think it will be held against you any way you present it. Nobody is going to believe you got demoted because you couldn't handle the new responsibilities if you got promoted to management, then promoted AGAIN. Don't sweat it. But I would do like the last two posters said and list everything on one line. If you are uncomfortable about it, you could put current in parentheses next to accountant. I probably wouldn't do that but it's up to you.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
I don't see why anyone even needs to know. Word your resume so that it looks like the perceived lower position was first and the higher was second. I don't mean lie. I mean like the bunny said. Group your time and experience with that company together under one heading instead of 2 different ones.

I took a voluntary demotion at my last job. On my resume I listed the job titles highest to lowest with the number of years in each instead of listing the last one a second time with dates. I hope that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search