Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times

Advertisements

Has this always been the practice for 20-30 years?
Lately, every time a head hunter contacts me, they ask my current salary. I really dislike that question. Not only do they ask me my current salary, but they withhold the salary window of the open job position for which I am a potential candidate.
I am wrong in remembering 15 years ago the job postings that LISTED the offered salary range if your professional experience met the companies requirements?

I fear head hunters use this information to potentially low ball me if my current salary is lower than the new position, or exclude me completely because I am making/asking for too much.

Lately, when asked current salary, I just say "I am looking for fair market value on the job position based on my experience." And EVERY head hunter responds, "I need a number so I can consider you for this position."

I feel it is an extremely unfair 'pre-negotiation' tactic for head hunters, as I know they earn money based off of the salary I negotiate, and probably the savings in salary they may save the prospective employer by low balling the employment seeking individual in this BRUTAL economy.

Part of me is frustrated, as I am one of millions that feel I am not where I should be professionally/financially based off off my work experience/backround.

I may be totally wrong about the topic, but I don't remember employers asking current salary for EVERY interview/ open position when I first entered the work force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
If they have a position that pays 40K and you are making 60K that is going to be a problem. They don't want to waste their time.

And headhunters are usually making a % of your salary. Why would they want to lowball you?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Be realistic. I consider headhunters to be on my side. I use them. I like them. They are tools for me.

If asked, I tell them. I am realistic. I don't expect more than 20% increase in pay and I wouldn't accept a decrease. (This assumes I am currently working - still, if I were to be unemployed, I'd use my last salary or no lower than what I need to pay my mortgage and bills.)

Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Headhunters want to find you an appropriate position. They don't want to bug you about a position that pays less than you currently make.

HR on the otherhand is looking to determine exactly how little they can offer you and still hire you. If you tell then 35K they will offer 38k, If you tell them $40k they will offer $44 and if you tell the $60k they may just delete your app and try to get a cheaper candidate. In many cases it is good to either be evasive or lie to them. You may end up having to fake a w2 or anything but if they want to play dirty you do to.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In many cases it is good to either be evasive or lie to them. You may end up having to fake a w2 or anything but if they want to play dirty you do to.
They can check that stuff out. Unless you're working for cash, they have ways of finding out.

I just got a new job and I was put through a pretty intense background investigation (called Apscreen) - and this wasn't even for a security clearance. They checked out all my previous employers, education degrees and references.

Drug tested too by taking hair samples from my head.

http://www.apscreen.com/

Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Headhunters want to find you an appropriate position. They don't want to bug you about a position that pays less than you currently make.

HR on the otherhand is looking to determine exactly how little they can offer you and still hire you. If you tell then 35K they will offer 38k, If you tell them $40k they will offer $44 and if you tell the $60k they may just delete your app and try to get a cheaper candidate. In many cases it is good to either be evasive or lie to them. You may end up having to fake a w2 or anything but if they want to play dirty you do to.
I would agree with this. HR asks your current salary to have an advantage over you when it comes to offering you the position. If they know you make X amount, this gives them the bargaining power that you don't have, because you don't know what the position could pay.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post

Lately, when asked current salary, I just say "I am looking for fair market value on the job position based on my experience." And EVERY head hunter responds, "I need a number so I can consider you for this position."

and you should respond with "Can you tell me what compensation range is budgeted for this position?"

Last edited by jaypee; 04-17-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
and you should respond with "Can you tell me what compensation range budgeted for this position?"
That's actually a good question to counter with. I will try using this and see if it works. I usually give them a range myself and then tell that it's based on my experience and the research I've done for similar positions.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Has this always been the practice for 20-30 years?
Lately, every time a head hunter contacts me, they ask my current salary. I really dislike that question. Not only do they ask me my current salary, but they withhold the salary window of the open job position for which I am a potential candidate.
I am wrong in remembering 15 years ago the job postings that LISTED the offered salary range if your professional experience met the companies requirements?

I fear head hunters use this information to potentially low ball me if my current salary is lower than the new position, or exclude me completely because I am making/asking for too much.

I feel it is an extremely unfair 'pre-negotiation' tactic for head hunters, as I know they earn money based off of the salary I negotiate, and probably the savings in salary they may save the prospective employer by low balling the employment seeking individual in this BRUTAL economy.

Part of me is frustrated, as I am one of millions that feel I am not where I should be professionally/financially based off off my work experience/backround.

I may be totally wrong about the topic, but I don't remember employers asking current salary for EVERY interview/ open position when I first entered the work force.
You will typically pay a headhunter nothing to find a job, they get paid by the employer. What you can get for free is a good feel for if your salary is in line for your position vs competition if they are competent. Relax dont be so defensive it is your salary nothing more or less. Provide it and ask for information on what jobs you qualify for would pay.. quid pro quo

Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM

66 posts, read 117,921 times
I have been in staffing for almost 17 years. And unfortunately, you are getting some misinformation here. I have been both in search ("headhunter") and corporate HR. We do NOT ask you your salary to try to low ball the offer. Not once have I had that experience in either search or HR. Here is why we ask the salary - if you are making $80k and the job pays $50k there must be a huge disconnect between your experience level and the position. A good recruiter will say, "You know what? I don't think this is the right level of position for someone with your experience and background." And if you're a great candidate, s/he will try to find you a position that is a better match for you.
Only about 1% of candidates refuse to answer the salary question and you know what happens to those candidates? We don't move forward with them.
when you are going through the screening/interviewing process the belief we have is that this is you on your BEST behavior. If you're difficult at that stage it's a huge red flag to recruiters.
The other point about some recruiters not wanting to tell you the range for the job... here it is, plain and simple.... no matter what- every time I share a comp range with a candidate, they get totally and only fixated on the high end. if I say $80k - $100k, they automatically think they deserve the $100k. That's why many times they don't want to share that range. It's absolutely ok though for candidates to ask the range. Or just tell them your current salary and your expectations and ask whether you are in the range for the position.
Like Johnhw2 said, it's just salary - be direct, be honest and don't play games. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search