Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I've submitted a total of 187 applications at this time. Places in question include but aren't limited to: Macy's, Sear's, Bloomingdale's, McDonald's, Nordstrom, Petco, PetSmart, Express, Family Dollar, Verizon, AT&T, Darden, GNC, Vitamin World, Best Buy, RadioShack, Apple, Ralph Lauren, Office Depot, Staples, Home Depot, TJ Max, a handful of temp agencies and more.

That's why I hate applying online. I got more interviews with paper applications because they let you interact with the manager and sell yourself right there. Nowadays they tell you "fill it out online and don't contact us."
Dam , I feel for you man because I am nearly in the same situation. I do have a interview with Target on Monday 6/10/13 and Il see how that goes, now of course there is a big difference from interview to actually getting job but I have to be hopeful. However out of all the retail stores I have applied too, many of the same you have applied to with the exception of the mall based stores (nordstorm, macys etc...), only target and Auto Zone has got back to me let me say that again ONLY TWO RETAIL store has gotten back to me, it really is that bad.

How is the fast food, any luck on that route? My plan was if I did not get the auto zone or Target I would hit up fast food, boston market, burger king etc... If even fast food was a no go, then I really don't know and that scares me a bit.

What is really frustrating is when you go in person or call them up and ask if they are hiring. They usually say yes, then I respond "Ok great, can I come in person and fill out an application?" and their response is "Sorry we don't have paper applications anymore you have to do it online, everything is online".

Ok, so I fill out the application online, week goes by and no call- and again based on my phone call earlier or talking to them in person earlier they are "hiring". Hell I have even called them after my application was already submitted online and the same response "Yes we are hiring". Then if that is the case why the hell don't you people call me back after I fill out your online application. All my responses for your dumb personality tests where SA or SD, I have open availability-apparently you are hiring but when I apply online you never call so something is up, there is some sort of miscommunication. Every time I call up or go in person I get the rosy "Yes we are hiring!", but when you apply online, nothing, bloody bloody nothing- so either someone is lying or there is some sort of miscommunication.

What really gets me are the stores that actually will accept a your application in person (party city and dominoes) and still you get no call back. I swear for dominoes I went in person handed the application and resume and even called them up the same today to double check that they would pass on the application to the manager (for the manager was not in at the time I handed them my application). Mind you a week before hand I called the same Dominoes up and they told me that they are hiring and all I had to do was come in. So what the heck Dominoes?

If the Target and autozone fails I will be going to Dominoes AGAIN, and this time I will make sure to personally hand the application to the manager as opposed to the rank employee and hoping that he actually makes good on his word. Then Il personally hit up the subway restaurant and ask them, if subway and dominoes fail then il hit up the burger joints. If Mcdonalds, Wendy's etc.. fail then I really don't know , I think I would be at the end of my rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Well you are one of the lucky ones because it's not often someone is called back after a online application
Well I seem to get lucky a lot, because I've gotten a lot of them. I will probably post the numbers later because i am a dork. I also applied for my current job using an online application.

The fact is, some people get a call back from just about every listing with an online application. And one person gets the job!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
"Fill out online and don't contact us." = Go away. We haven nothing for you. = "get lost".
Same like the old Hollywood cliche "We'll call you."
Actually, it means "you have to apply online".

Where i work (a large hospital system) even if you're internal and the boss wants you for the position, you have to apply online. It's simply the only way to do it.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What do ou mean by online application?
. So we're all on the same page, when I use the term I mean any online application form, including company websites. I have gotten some responses from indeed etc, but I agree that applying directly with the company works much better.

I believe wpg is using the same definition I am, because he recommends applying via email and, uh, fax.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Actually, it means "you have to apply online".

Where i work (a large hospital system) even if you're internal and the boss wants you for the position, you have to apply online. It's simply the only way to do it.
I am wondering if you know what system hospitals use to screen online applicants? What are the keywords to include etc... I have applied to entry level patient transport, food service and the like and I never get a call back. I am a nursing student, I am free the entire summer and able to work throughout the upcoming school year and I do have volunteer experience in a hospital, I would think I am a good enough candidate for patient transport and yet I never hear back a thing.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM

I'm sorry, I don't, and I don't know that different hospital systems use the same methods. But I know someone in hr who I can ask on Monday. The interview I have on Tuesday is at a hospital, doing almost the same job I do now, and I got an email within hours of applying to set up an interview. I make no effort to include keywords from the ad in my resume or anything like that.

I don't know how common keyword scanning really is. I know the large university where I've had a few interviews has actual humans screen applications, not a computer program.

Have you tried asking at your school about hospital positions? I know where I work, we often have nursing students who work as casual patient care techs. They are referred by their instructors, they almost always get hired, and the nurses give them a lot of hands on experience while they work.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM

Well the fact that you actually got a call back from applying online gives me some hope-AT least I can safely say applying online does not fail 100% of the time.

As for the asking at the school about positions. Those usually go to juniors moving on to their senior year. By junior year you already have a year of clinicals down so it is much easier to get hired. Sadly I am a sophomore moving on to the junior year and thus no clinical experience. Next summer, that won't be a problem, I will be busting my rump and I will land an externship, or PCT job because by that point I will have clinical experience under me. It is this summer that is the bloody pain.

I guess Il just keep pecking away at the hospitals

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,227 times
Walking in and handing your application to a random employee and leaving is a good way to not get hired. Can you guess what they will do with it?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Dam , I feel for you man because I am nearly in the same situation. I do have a interview with Target on Monday 6/10/13 and Il see how that goes, now of course there is a big difference from interview to actually getting job but I have to be hopeful. However out of all the retail stores I have applied too, many of the same you have applied to with the exception of the mall based stores (nordstorm, macys etc...), only target and Auto Zone has got back to me let me say that again ONLY TWO RETAIL store has gotten back to me, it really is that bad.

How is the fast food, any luck on that route? My plan was if I did not get the auto zone or Target I would hit up fast food, boston market, burger king etc... If even fast food was a no go, then I really don't know and that scares me a bit.

What is really frustrating is when you go in person or call them up and ask if they are hiring. They usually say yes, then I respond "Ok great, can I come in person and fill out an application?" and their response is "Sorry we don't have paper applications anymore you have to do it online, everything is online".

Ok, so I fill out the application online, week goes by and no call- and again based on my phone call earlier or talking to them in person earlier they are "hiring". Hell I have even called them after my application was already submitted online and the same response "Yes we are hiring". Then if that is the case why the hell don't you people call me back after I fill out your online application. All my responses for your dumb personality tests where SA or SD, I have open availability-apparently you are hiring but when I apply online you never call so something is up, there is some sort of miscommunication. Every time I call up or go in person I get the rosy "Yes we are hiring!", but when you apply online, nothing, bloody bloody nothing- so either someone is lying or there is some sort of miscommunication.

What really gets me are the stores that actually will accept a your application in person (party city and dominoes) and still you get no call back. I swear for dominoes I went in person handed the application and resume and even called them up the same today to double check that they would pass on the application to the manager (for the manager was not in at the time I handed them my application). Mind you a week before hand I called the same Dominoes up and they told me that they are hiring and all I had to do was come in. So what the heck Dominoes?

If the Target and autozone fails I will be going to Dominoes AGAIN, and this time I will make sure to personally hand the application to the manager as opposed to the rank employee and hoping that he actually makes good on his word. Then Il personally hit up the subway restaurant and ask them, if subway and dominoes fail then il hit up the burger joints. If Mcdonalds, Wendy's etc.. fail then I really don't know , I think I would be at the end of my rope.
Yeah, that is nuts. The issue is to the given available jobs is there are at least 3 people to every job if they were not specialized and looking for a very small select group of candidates.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM

heh its to the point where I want to start praying to me phone, my cell phone has become a demi-god, I pray to thee so ye may ring with a employer on the other end of the line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search