Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Tried to network with somebody on LinkedIn. Apparently I can't InMail without paying for premium or connect with strangers with no connections to me. How am I supposed to introduce myself and discuss what I'd like to bring to their company if I can't do anything except view their mostly-hidden profile?
Randomly contacting complete strangers out of the blue on LinkedIn is not really, "networking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Someone being smart about their job search is going to apply to the positions for which they are best suited, without regard to the method of application.
dingdingdingdingding!!

note that westphillydude gave that advice after i told him that i got over 50% of my interviews from online applications. and i've got a LARGE sample size. why on earth would i stop applying that way, or even slow down my number of online apps? i'd be cutting out over half of my prospects!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
p.s. just got another interview from an online application.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
Quote:
Tried to network with somebody on LinkedIn. Apparently I can't InMail without paying for premium or connect with strangers with no connections to me. How am I supposed to introduce myself and discuss what I'd like to bring to their company if I can't do anything except view their mostly-hidden profile?

Am I really restricted to just my local circle? The only "network" I have on there is a bunch of old college mates who think LinkedIn is adult Facebook. That won't do me any good.
I don't have InMails either; send an invitation and write your note instead of the generic connection message.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
Quote:
Fair point. But the flip side is how do you expect a company, especially a large one, to process the hundreds, if not thousands, of applications that they have flooding their office on a regular basis without some automated processes in place? It is a dilemma.

My point exactly. I wonder how many applications a store (like one of those you listed) gets on a daily basis. My guess would be a ton (although I don't work in retail but I could be wrong) - and the managers simply do not have time to interact with all of these applicants 1 on 1. Its a Catch 22.

Someone being smart about their job search is going to apply to the positions for which they are best suited, without regard to the method of application.

I would hazzard a guess that your success rate has more to do with your credentials and qualifications, rather than the time you submitted your resume. But, again, nothing wrong with having little superstitions - we all have them. When our company knew we would have to lay off part of our staff, I stopped wearing a red shirt to the office.
so what should we do?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
I don't have InMails either; send an invitation and write your note instead of the generic connection message.
I thought LinkedIn doesn't let you connect that way unless you know the person's email address? I never use the generic message when requesting a connection. Connection requests are limited without premium aren't they?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times
Quote:
Randomly contacting complete strangers out of the blue on LinkedIn is not really, "networking".
Then what is networking on LinkedIn to somebody with no connections on it?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:

Am I really restricted to just my local circle? The only "network" I have on there is a bunch of old college mates who think LinkedIn is adult Facebook. That won't do me any good.

The people at the company you want to meet you have to find out they know in your network before contacting them.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Fair point. But the flip side is how do you expect a company, especially a large one, to process the hundreds, if not thousands, of applications that they have flooding their office on a regular basis without some automated processes in place? It is a dilemma.

My point exactly. I wonder how many applications a store (like one of those you listed) gets on a daily basis. My guess would be a ton (although I don't work in retail but I could be wrong) - and the managers simply do not have time to interact with all of these applicants 1 on 1. Its a Catch 22.

I would hazzard a guess that your success rate has more to do with your credentials and qualifications, rather than the time you submitted your resume. But, again, nothing wrong with having little superstitions - we all have them. When our company knew we would have to lay off part of our staff, I stopped wearing a red shirt to the office.

Not all to do with the credentials since by applying late my email was the first one she received when she logged on in the morning

Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
dingdingdingdingding!!

note that westphillydude gave that advice after i told him that i got over 50% of my interviews from online applications. and i've got a LARGE sample size. why on earth would i stop applying that way, or even slow down my number of online apps? i'd be cutting out over half of my prospects!

I didn't say don't apply online I just said make it your lowest way of applying to jobs

1. Email directly
2. Fax resume
3. Upload Resume
4. Online applications

save the mosting annoying job search method for last
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search