Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
SSN and references should not be asked for at all
Agreed. I really think they should ask for your SSN when they *may* be considering you for a job after at least a few interviews. For the initial application to just apply, No. This so-called private information gets stolen, or lost all the time. Identity thieves could steal your info. There is whole host of reasons why the SSN should only be used after a background check or something similar is conducted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Agreed. I really think they should ask for your SSN when they *may* be considering you for a job after at least a few interviews. For the initial application to just apply, No. This so-called private information gets stolen, or lost all the time. Identity thieves could steal your info. There is whole host of reasons why the SSN should only be used after a background check or something similar is conducted.
many of these application systems reject you if you put nothing in the SS field or put 000000. I would just put my social, with one or two digits off at the end.How are they going to know it's wrong?
of course if you don't have the magic key word combination, it doesn't matter.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post

Yes, but many of them still ask for it. If you give a false SSN of say like 000-00-0000 they won't process it through. You would think in this day and age of identity theft they would not ask for such information. Why do they NEED a SSN for the initial application BEFORE even being made an offer or an interview for that matter?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM

296 posts, read 625,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes. Teleo. An amazing product. There's a published paper on HBR discussing Teleo. Employers are more satisfied with their selected hires after they started using Teleo. I don't recall the exact numbers but it was over 60% more satisfied.
I should clarify that I was referring to the annoyance factor when filling out an online application that uses Taleo .

The application is typically very lengthy, and there doesn't appear to be a central info repository within Taleo that can pull an applicant's data into more than one company's HR system. I want to scream when for some reason or another, I'm filling out an application powered by Taleo, and the site times out on me.

There's even a blog that I've run across, Taleo Sucks.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
I should clarify that I was referring to the annoyance factor when filling out an online application that uses Taleo .

The application is typically very lengthy, and there doesn't appear to be a central info repository within Taleo that can pull an applicant's data into more than one company's HR system. I want to scream when for some reason or another, I'm filling out an application powered by Taleo, and the site times out on me.

There's even a blog that I've run across, Taleo Sucks.

One way to deal with it is stop applying to jobs that uses Taleo

Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
One way to deal with it is stop applying to jobs that uses Taleo
There's no choice if the company/job looks like a great match.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
There's no choice if the company/job looks like a great match.

There is a choice, another company that doesn't use Taleo

Old 05-01-2013, 06:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Applicant is old and wants it to be like the old days.....

Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
There is a choice, another company that doesn't use Taleo
. . . . whatever floats one's boat

Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM

244 posts, read 634,138 times
I've applied to several jobs that I am clearly qualified for that used Taleo and have never gotten a response. No gaps, no disability, no issues, just no response. Count me among the Taleo isn't so great crowd. Kenexxa or whatever seems a little more intuitive anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search