Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
I should clarify that I was referring to the annoyance factor when filling out an online application that uses Taleo .

The application is typically very lengthy, and there doesn't appear to be a central info repository within Taleo that can pull an applicant's data into more than one company's HR system. I want to scream when for some reason or another, I'm filling out an application powered by Taleo, and the site times out on me.

There's even a blog that I've run across, Taleo Sucks.
That's the risk that employers take. They lose potential talent by making it a difficult process. Their loss.

But if in the end, they are happy with what they get, good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
oh my god, i think i just hit a new low in online applications.

first, i uploaded my resume. the program did a pretty good job of autofilling my work history, although i had to do a little cleaning up.

now i just got to the "skills" section. they want me to list every one of my skills, and THE DATE I LAST USED EACH ONE. to the day. i can understand that they want to make sure my skills are current, but i think just putting the last year you used something is enough info. come on now. i realize i can fudge this, but really, just the time it's going to take is ridiculous. oh and the program helpfully took every single word from the "skills" section of my resume and made it a separate entry.

i was hesitant about applying to this job in the first place, and i think they just lost me.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I haven't minded applying online or via email. But what I hate is the fact that a good 90-sum % are job placement and temp agencies, and having to deal with four of them was more than enough (and I was very disappointed in all of them).

Yet I can also understand why more businesses are using them. One interviewer told me that the last position they posted on Craig's List (for a receptionist-office assistant) resulted in over 700 emails. That's the kind of competition we have here for clerical and administrative jobs.

I also hate how my mail boxes have gotten flooded with daily emails from job search sites, and I've learned that not all of them have Unsubscribe options. :-(

Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
i think someone looking for a job in 2013 should look in the paper and apply through fax machines.

There is not a lot of people applying that way

Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
i think someone looking for a job in 2013 should look in the paper and apply through fax machines.

One reason for that is many companies don't want it receive it that way.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
One reason for that is many companies don't want it receive it that way.

They should since they may get 10 good resumes instead of 1000 resumes from people who don't qualify

Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
They should since they may get 10 good resumes instead of 1000 resumes from people who don't qualify
It is easy to weed out people who don't qualify when it is done online. Submitting one online and then showing up in person might not be a bad idea. Your stance just makes it seem like the job market/technology has passed you by.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Are you people serious?

Effectively you couldn't be bothered spending 10 minutes applying for a job... You are discussing regressing as a society by faxing... Who even owns a fax anymore... Please remove yourselves from the 80s

Has anyone ever contemplated the concept that the application process is designed so that it weeds out people like yourselves who aren't committed??

I realise u must all be the veritable Steve jobs's of your relevant fields and companies are falling over themselves to win you as an employee... But the rest of us mortals need to be a little more proactive and taking 10-30 minutes to thoughtfully apply to a position or company is well worth it in consideration of the return you get for success.

On a arrange how many companies are u all applying to in the course of a week? A month?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy102 View Post
Are you people serious?

Effectively you couldn't be bothered spending 10 minutes applying for a job... You are discussing regressing as a society by faxing... Who even owns a fax anymore... Please remove yourselves from the 80s

Has anyone ever contemplated the concept that the application process is designed so that it weeds out people like yourselves who aren't committed??

I realise u must all be the veritable Steve jobs's of your relevant fields and companies are falling over themselves to win you as an employee... But the rest of us mortals need to be a little more proactive and taking 10-30 minutes to thoughtfully apply to a position or company is well worth it in consideration of the return you get for success.

On a arrange how many companies are u all applying to in the course of a week? A month?

Email or faxing a resume is the preferred way of applying to jobs by most people

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:

That's because employers often don't accept faxes in lieu of completing the online application. Doing so could indicate to them that you don't follow instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy102 View Post
Are you people serious?

It takes more than 10 minutes to complete an online application ... Especially if you are applying to jobs within education....

Quote:
Email or faxing a resume is the preferred way of applying to jobs by most people
I actually prefer the online application even with its quirks as I've gotten to be an expert in completing them for my industry. With the application and all the attachments, my entire packet could exceed 10 pages ... That's a waste of paper when I could just submit/upload it directly unto the application itself and keep an electronic copy for my files. Also, not everyone has easy access to a fax machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search