Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why is HeadhunterPaul assumed to be a "master of his craft"?
I guess the craigslist job forum he used to troll has run its course, or he's bern banned from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I guess the craigslist job forum he used to troll has run its course, or he's bern banned from it.
I don't see too much wrong with what he says, maybe how he says it. Sometimes you can say more with less and not make things novellas. Obviously novellas do work sometimes if you have to dig down deep to give the logic of doing something or not. It is a hard fine-line to walk because you are told in business writing to be concise yet you want to give the most accurate information.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see too much wrong with what he says, maybe how he says it. Sometimes you can say more with less and not make things novellas. Obviously novellas do work sometimes if you have to dig down deep to give the logic of doing something or not. It is a hard fine-line to walk because you are told in business writing to be concise yet you want to give the most accurate information.
This ain't bidness writing, though. This is "what are the considerations and how do you weigh them". Really, lessons on how to think things through in a given scenario. Which HHP sees many times a year, and which we see only between yobs, which is (hopefully) much, much less frequently! You can't build up a base of fine-grained intuition from something you only do once every five years.

Groar, you may well be a lot better about getting a new job than I am. But, in that situation, I need all the help I can get. The whys and wherefores, and how to look at things and read between the lines. So HHP is doing me - and, I expect, many people like me - a favor and I appreciate it.

Regardless of where you have been in your career, it is entirely different (let me assure you!) when the shoe is on the other foot. Making a rookie mistake can knock $40K off the offer right at the outset. THAT is money I'd rather have in MY pocket, than lose because I asked a question that was perceived as "green". "They" are, after all, paying for your judgment.

This is a ritual, and there are certain conventions which - if you don't know them - mark you as "junior".

Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
like i said, if you think his advice is good, take it. but i don't think an air of extreme self confidence is all it takes to prove that someone is a "master of their craft". a lot of people on this forum have good information to share, from lots of different perspectives. when someone comes in acting like they're better and know more than everyone else, like they're sent from heaven to bestow their wisdom on us plebes, its kind of obnoxious. and while he does have some good points to make, some of the advice he's given - mostly the "call the hiring manager before you've even applied and try to schedule your own interview" stuff - is downright bad in my book.

i DON'T think that the job application process is some magical thing that takes some arcane knowledge to excel at - a lot of it is really common sense stuff. it might not occur to everyone, but it makes sense once you hear it. hiring managers are just people and honestly if there are industries and or companies where the application and interview process involves "rituals" - i probably would rather not be working for those people, any more than i'd want to date a guy who plays games. i'm going to keep on being honest (well, mostly), and respectful of people's time. so far that has worked pretty well for me.

anyway, i think that is way more than enough meta-discussion of some dude on the internet for me! point being, i will continue to listen to him just like i would anyone else on this forum.

Last edited by groar; 05-06-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Default Because I Get Fee Check(s) Each Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why is HeadhunterPaul assumed to be a "master of his craft"?

The only measure that counts.

Paul

Old 05-07-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Snarkey With No Merit Has No Value, 313.

Quote:
I don't/do not recruit at CL- almost everyone there who posts is unemployed and do not match my specialty areas of recruitment.

I give not only 'free' advice there, I also get requests for resume/interview advice which I give out at no charge; usually supplying those persons with sample winning resumes.

No one has banned me; you can see I've just posted there again the other day.

There is not much going on there and that forum has not been active enough for me in several years. It is mostly a hangout for the 'regulars'.

Let me ask you something, 313,

Has anyone ever given you a retainer in the amount of $5K/$10K/$15K/$30K prior to even completing the work intended?

I have not only fulfilled several retained searches in my time- in every case the progression of recruited candidates panned out exactly as intended.

In one case, for example, the GM is still on the job- twelve years later.

Remember what MC Hammer said:

YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS.

LOL!

Paul

Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Default Dyslexic Or Just Sloppy?

Quote:

"....or he's bern banned..."

LMAO, 313...!

Paul

Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 AM

Default Correctamundo, Groar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

i don't think the dude needs any more encouragement to think his poo doesn't stink.

You are right about that, I don't.

Glad to see we agree on something, after all.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 AM

Default Hmmmm. Thank You, Groar.

Quote:

i will continue to listen to him just like i would anyone else on this forum.
Well, coming from you, Groar, that is a compliment of sorts and I appreciate it.

I'm not here to p you o. Or anyone else.

I am naturally aggressive which helps me break down barriers and solve what seem like insurmountable challenges.

Also, I did not call myself a 'master' of anything. It is not necessary for me to do this since the only qualifier I need are my monthly checks. Not your approval or anyone else's.

I think it is appropriate to remind you and others that sales professionals who hit the 'good numbers' regularly are just naturally going to think they have a big one.

If I was not so confident in myself and my proven abilities I'd be unable to call strangers, soliciting $20K+ checks.

My bravado got me medals in the army; in the civilian world it gets me checks.

I will work on my tone.

But, no promises!

Paul

Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 AM

Default Maybe, Maybe Not.

Quote:

the advice he's given - mostly the "call the hiring manager before you've even applied and try to schedule your own interview" stuff - is downright bad in my book.....
Groar, this is not for you, it is for the people listening and seeing your post who you will, not by design, discourage from trying to do what I have for years been preaching:

Your opinion is that it is 'incorrect' to call a prospective HA in order to secure an Interview.

I can see how you and others say this; you are not the first to freak out when I post in the public domain applicants ought to 'reach out and touch someone' by picking up the phone.

You'd rather they work the system that does not work reliably.

Why you would do this is beyond me.

Why you don't say something more generous like, "...try it and see if it works for you..." is not only part of your persona, it is what 'you are used to' in terms of how to Get a Job.

The sheeple approach.

One more time, if you will allow me to say-

I suggest job seekers take the same avenue we take- call on the person doing the hiring for a position of interest.

If you are a Nurse, you call the DON. Why is that a 'bad' thing to do?

If you are a PI agent, why can't you call the Global Director of Quality?

If you are a Treasurer, why can't you call the CFO?

Because you say not to?

Remember what I said, please: Only a handful of people will, from my advice, follow the steps I suggest.

What is it you are afraid of?

Your opinion is just that- an opinion. It is not based on what you have tried to do or what you heard someone else tried to do.

And even if you have heard of this -first or second hand knowledge, perhaps- why would you discourage others from trying to get a job that way?

For every one hundred people who try my method there will be someone who is successful in this regard.

Why would you think that is such a bad thing?

Just what is it you are taking ownership of?

Would you shut down that character who used a carrier pigeon to get that HA's attention?

Remember that one?

It just doesn't suit you to hear someone is being encouraged to follow a path that may actually work because, IMO, you are structured to do things a certain way and you just can't imagine anyone breaking ranks in order to feed their family.

That's what you are messing with, Groar.

No one made you a Crossing Guard, Groar.

Let others make their own decision without your having a need to throw dirt on what I say.

Sticks and Stones.

Hasta.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search