Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

I have an interview with 5 analysts for a position and have actually never been to a panel interview.

Has anyone here ever had one and how did you prepare for it?

It will be via teleconference with the group I will be working with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i'd prepare the same way i'd prepare for a regular interview. research the company and the position, practice some answers to common questions (actually practice with another person if you can swing it) and try to tailor your answers to this particular job. think about what questions you are going to ask.

there's not generally any difference from a one on one interview, except that more than one person is asking you questions and sometimes they have different interview styles and/or agendas. it can be tricky when you can tell one person wants one kind of answer and another wants another, but you just kind of have to figure out who you want to please and/or what answer will help you AND the interviewers figure out if you're a good fit.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would practice, practice, practice.
-Google questions asked during interviews and practice your answers.
-Be prepared for situation questions, and have examples ready
-Have examples ready where you have turned a negative situation into a positive
-Have examples how you have dealt with a difficult coworker or team and what the resolution was
-Research the company, and the people you are interviewing with!

Good luck!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'd prepare the same way i'd prepare for a regular interview. research the company and the position, practice some answers to common questions (actually practice with another person if you can swing it) and try to tailor your answers to this particular job. think about what questions you are going to ask. there's not generally any difference from a one on one interview, except that more than one person is asking you questions and sometimes they have different interview styles.
Agreed. Every panel interview I have had has been functionally identical to a one-on-one interview. The only difference is that the panel will alternate in who asks the question.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Two suggestions:

1) If it's only a phone interview (rather than video conference),if possible, stand and move around a bit while you answer questions. Your energy level will be higher and you'll sound more alert and engaged.

2) You might want to print stuff like key points from your resume or any talking points you want to be sure you cover, in large font and tape them to the wall, so you can easily find a fact and regain your focus (without shuffling papers) if you need to. I've done this many times on phone interviews and have found it works well.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Agreed. Every panel interview I have had has been functionally identical to a one-on-one interview. The only difference is that the panel will alternate in who asks the question.
This is how I have done it many times over many years at two companies, and on both sides of the table. A few possible exceptions, recently I have started requiring a 15 minute work sample project at the end, and in some management positions have had to do a group discussion with the other top candidates. The panel is typically made up of one person from HR who moderates, the hiring manager,
and 2-4 others in departments that would work with the person hired. It allows various expertise in spotting exaggeration or weakness in certain areas. Rarely is there disagreement, however, candidates are almost always rated in the same order by all members of the panel without knowing the others' ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search