Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I'm a little pressed for time right now, but I'm gonna give you the short reality based answer for the immediate moment. Many employers these days consider the lack of a personal vehicle in and of itself a major turn-off that tells them you don't have reliable transportation to get you to work. There are also many employers in this country who do not view public transportation (or hitching a ride with mom everyday) as being reliable transportation. A common question employers ask potential candidates is if they have reliable transportation to get them to work. This can be a deal breaker. While they may not name this as a reason for denying you the job, I promise you, it plays a major factor in their final decision. There are many ways hiring managers wade through the sea of applicants. This factor is just one of them. While an adult worker to not own a personal vehicle may be the norm in other countries, the culture in the U.S. dictates otherwise.

You're correct.

I think in this case the OP mentioned in another thread that she lived just up the street from this thrift store. So she didn't even need a ride from her mother. Because being within walking distance when you don't have a car is something you would mention to the interviewer if transportation came up.

"No I don't have a car, but I live two blocks over and can walk here in 5 minutes".

I still don't get since her mother gave her a ride why she just didn't leave the shopping bag in the car. Or why her mother at least didn't know to tell her to do that.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're correct.

I think in this case the OP mentioned in another thread that she lived just up the street from this thrift store. So she didn't even need a ride from her mother. Because being within walking distance when you don't have a car is something you would mention to the interviewer if transportation came up.

"No I don't have a car, but I live two blocks over and can walk here in 5 minutes".

I still don't get since her mother gave her a ride why she just didn't leave the shopping bag in the car. Or why her mother at least didn't know to tell her to do that.
I am guessing her mom had some place to head to at the same time and thought it would be a good idea to drop her off. I know if I had the opportunity to be dropped off rather than walk in dress shoes, I would take the drop off.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Folks, if you read this, you won't think the Goodwill plastic bag is so bad.

Managers to Millennials: Job interview no time to text

Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 PM

548 posts, read 891,021 times
Yeah ya see and I know I made a mistake oh well I learned from it alright and I will not make that same mistake again. I take all of this advice into account and appreciate all that has been said to me. Thanks for the tips and again advice I will use it for future interviews and jobs.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 10,955 times
One should only bring to an interview those items that are imperative for conducting the interview. Bringing in a shopping bag is not professional, as it isn't for the purpose of the interview.

Also, consider how would you like it if a prospective employee walked in with a visible display of buying from the competitor's store? It's insensitive to the work situation and the employer's interests.

I urge you to read more about interviewing, and then keep applying for other jobs.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You really need help. And a dictionary.

Actually, her spelling is just fine, and is one of the things she has going for her, despite the defensiveness. She has some minor grammatical issues, rather. One generally doesn't learn proper grammar from a dictionary, and to suggest this in your attempt at a snarky little dig reveals more about your own lack of education.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Actually, her spelling is just fine, and is one of the things she has going for her, despite the defensiveness. She has some minor grammatical issues, rather. One generally doesn't learn proper grammar from a dictionary, and to suggest this in your attempt at a snarky little dig reveals more about your own lack of education.
Dictionaries are commonly used to find definitions of words. In this case, it was the definition of "harassing" that she needed help with. As far as I could tell, I never referenced grammar at all - but I guess you might have a different version of this thread on your computer than I do.

That said, what does your only contribution to this thread (coming on here to make snarky and incorrect digs at me) have to say about your level of intelligence and education?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I am going to roll up at my next McDonalds interview smashing a Whopper. This might be the stupidest thread ever on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
I'm going to interview for a concessions gig with the Washington Redskins while wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey.
LMAO! I'm going to MickeyD's later this week to apply for a job. I like the Whopper idea.

Seriously, I bumped into my old boss from the MickeyD's I used to work at and he told me he'll put in a good word for me. See, no problems!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
Yeah ya see and I know I made a mistake oh well I learned from it alright and I will not make that same mistake again. I take all of this advice into account and appreciate all that has been said to me. Thanks for the tips and again advice I will use it for future interviews and jobs.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It has to do with priorities.

A job interview is short, perhaps an hour, and probably less for a store clerk position. You are trying to put your absolute best foot forward, and this means sending the signal that you take the job seriously.

Dress up, be on time, pay attention, take notes, have an intelligent question or two to ask, and leave your shopping/laundry/children/personal life behind.

We are all aware that you have a personal life, but a job interview is a test to see if you can put it aside for 30-60 minutes. If you can't put your life aside for this short a period of time, what can I expect of you as an employee?

Bringing your personal shopping to the interview is a sign that the job is less important to you than other factors. I get it. Hiring you is therefore less important to me than hiring another person who follows the rules.
Yes, this. It isn't about the kind of bag, or having a bag at all. It is the fact that it makes the interview look like just one more errand you had to run that day; or that you couldn't plan your day well enough to realize you'd be carrying a competitor's bag into your interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search