Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,406,717 times

Advertisements

I'm currently employed but searching for work in another part of the country. I am on LinkedIn but haven't used it much at all outside of setting up my profile. I am interested in utilizing LinkedIn to network with a few companies I am interested in another state.

I want to do this discreetly since I do not want my current job to know I'm job hunting out of state. I also want to do this in a way that is not too forward or weird (when I approach the new company).

I know there is a job seekers account you can pay for and you get so many networking emails you can send out with "guaranteed" replies. Does anyone know how this works or does anyone have any advice on how I can go about utilizing LinkedIn to meet some people at some prospective employers? I am not even sure how I would choose a specific person to attempt to network with or how I would start the conversation of "I'm in another state but I'd love to come work for your company".

I understand that LinkedIn isn't the greatest or best way to go about things but I'm using other avenues as well and I just want to see if I can leverage my LinkedIn presence at all to network and meet potential employers that I am interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:02 PM

23,291 posts, read 23,667,542 times
Basically, set-up your profile with as much detail as possible (accomplishments, past positions, etc) and have the recruiters come to you.

When sending resumes to companies you want to work for, specify your LinkedIn URL in your resume to highlight your accomplishments and connections.

LinkedIn has been good for me in terms of recruiters & companies contacting me for open positions.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,187,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

I want to do this discreetly since I do not want my current job to know I'm job hunting out of state. I also want to do this in a way that is not too forward or weird (when I approach the new company).

I am not sure how to get around that. From what I have seen with my husband's account, tons of his co workers came up as "suggested" and added him as a connection. I think they can also see his activity...the recruiters and HR people he has connected to in other states for potential jobs.

It was actually pretty interesting to see that all of his co workers are on there trying to network for new jobs also. It seems to be common knowledge where he works, that most people are trying to move on. Potentially a real problem if this info would put you at risk for losing your job when they find out you are looking elsewhere.

Perhaps there is a way around this for privacy?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
LinkedIn is primarily a networking site, not a job-hunting site. There are many uses for networking besides looking for that next job. Use it openly for the purpose of collecting recommendations from and sharing contact information with colleagues. No employer should object to that. It's also handy for remaining in touch with those colleagues when they or you move on or engaging in discussions about your industry. Use the site in those benign ways that benefit your current employer and it helps to mask the job-hunting activity.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,705,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm currently employed but searching for work in another part of the country. I am on LinkedIn but haven't used it much at all outside of setting up my profile. I am interested in utilizing LinkedIn to network with a few companies I am interested in another state.

I know there is a job seekers account you can pay for and you get so many networking emails you can send out with "guaranteed" replies. Does anyone know how this works or does anyone have any advice on how I can go about utilizing LinkedIn to meet some people at some prospective employers? I am not even sure how I would choose a specific person to attempt to network with or how I would start the conversation of "I'm in another state but I'd love to come work for your company".

I understand that LinkedIn isn't the greatest or best way to go about things but I'm using other avenues as well and I just want to see if I can leverage my LinkedIn presence at all to network and meet potential employers that I am interested in.
If you connect with another person on LinkedIn it updates your activity and says you are now connected with Joe Smith. That's it. It doesn't say that you connected with Joe Smith and messaged him about working at the company he works at. I don't think that it says anything about the companies that you follow in your activity feed. So if you follow the company that Joe works at as well I think that is hidden from your connections.

The guaranteed replies is that you get say, 10 messages that you can send to people without being connected to them. When you send them the message it takes one off of your remaining message limit. After a period of time though, if they don't respond you get that message back so you can send another one.

Also, you can change the privacy levels of your profile so that you can adjust what others see.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:14 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Basically, set-up your profile with as much detail as possible (accomplishments, past positions, etc) and have the recruiters come to you.

When sending resumes to companies you want to work for, specify your LinkedIn URL in your resume to highlight your accomplishments and connections.

LinkedIn has been good for me in terms of recruiters & companies contacting me for open positions.

I second this, exactly as written. Same experiences with recruiters calling me. I appreciate them calling me. When they do, I acknowledge them, explain I am currently working (on a new job) but I would like to stay in touch and connected.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
LinkedIn is primarily a networking site, not a job-hunting site. There are many uses for networking besides looking for that next job. Use it openly for the purpose of collecting recommendations from and sharing contact information with colleagues. No employer should object to that. It's also handy for remaining in touch with those colleagues when they or you move on or engaging in discussions about your industry. Use the site in those benign ways that benefit your current employer and it helps to mask the job-hunting activity.
In a way I use Linked kind of how people use Facebook. I like to look up old colleagues and see what they look like, where they've worked, where they might be living, etc.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM

100 posts, read 428,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

I'll "third" this. I have a very detailed profile filled with keywords relevant to my experience and I join groups relevant to my work. I also share articles related to my field with my LinkedIn network.

I get contacted by recruiters on a regular basis. In fact, I landed my current position because my boss found my LinkedIn profile and contacted me using INmail. LinkedIN is a valuable tool for job hunting, not just networking. In fact, I know employers who are exclusively using LinkedIN to find job candidates.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,003,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Yes, Linkedin is technically a business networking site. However, as a recruiter, I play an extremely active role on Linkedin. I get tons of resumes and emails from potential candidates looking for new opportunities. I am also able to reach out to a very large audience by joining groups and expanding my connections. I have been able to grow my business by being able to reach out to the right hiring managers and obtain new contracts. Having great recommendations on your profile doesn't hurt either.

You can always set up Linkedin as a personal account. You would use your personal email address which has nothing to do with your current employer.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,406,717 times
I understand the part about just making sure my profile is up to date and lists all my accomplishments etc... and then let the recruiters come to me. But I am seeking employment 2,000 miles from home. I am guessing most the recruiters coming to me will be near me geographically. How can I reach out to the companies or get recruited 2,000 miles away using LinkedIn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search