U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times

Advertisements

I have used temp agencies to hire workers before. It was more trouble than it was worth so I started doing the temp hiring in house.

I have never understood the whole recruiter thing. I have never used one when looking for a job, and when hiring people I have never used their services either. It makes no sense to me to pay a recruiter when I can get candidates for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 PM

501 posts, read 666,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Staffing agencies are a joke. The only reason anyone uses them up here is to get illegal laborers without the risk of hiring them.
I know they are it was pretty much a last resort prior to expanding my job search outside of my state again. I usually look at the reviews for staffing agencies and they are usually negative but I have not yet used but this particular one but will warn the potential sucker.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have used temp agencies to hire workers before. It was more trouble than it was worth so I started doing the temp hiring in house.

I have never understood the whole recruiter thing. I have never used one when looking for a job, and when hiring people I have never used their services either. It makes no sense to me to pay a recruiter when I can get candidates for free.

I agree, that way it eliminates the middle man and does not pose a hindrance when/if you decide to hire someone permanently. I have witnessed when the temp agencies get involved they contact the employer to negotiate and sometimes have negotiated the perspective employee right out of consideration.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM

346 posts, read 793,461 times
Default Most are inept, sadly

Many of these places can't match skill sets to jobs and they are extremely inexperienced, so to understand what the employer wants vs what you are capable of, well...never had much luck with staffing agencies.

I have found out also that many of the staffing agencies will use people's resumes to contact the former employers - they are using your information to contact them to see if they need help; this happens a lot and why you will often see "fake" or unrealistic job ads.

Recruiters, specialized in your industry, are a far better bet. They know the industry they are working for and are usually well-known to many companies.

Especially if you are looking to relocate, I would find recruitment agencies who specialize in your industry.

Best of luck to us all!!! Tough out there...

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
Many of these places can't match skill sets to jobs and they are extremely inexperienced, so to understand what the employer wants vs what you are capable of, well...never had much luck with staffing agencies.

I have found out also that many of the staffing agencies will use people's resumes to contact the former employers - they are using your information to contact them to see if they need help; this happens a lot and why you will often see "fake" or unrealistic job ads.

Recruiters, specialized in your industry, are a far better bet. They know the industry they are working for and are usually well-known to many companies.

Especially if you are looking to relocate, I would find recruitment agencies who specialize in your industry.

Best of luck to us all!!! Tough out there...
I had no idea that agencies do that, I appreciate the info. How does one find a recruiter for my specialty? Are you talking about those recruiters that you pay?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

The only thing they seem to be good for is acquiring unskilled, low wage workers. The problem is, they are paying them minimum wage while you are paying several dollars more an hour. The way I see it, you would be better off finding a $10/hr worker yourself and paying them $10/hr. As is most often the case, you get what you pay for. With a temp agency, you get what they pay for, while you're getting less than you pay for.

I have never worked through a staffing agency and I never will. If push came to shove, I would sell my services as a contractor, start my own business, or buy in to some form of partnership. I've done nearly every job under the sun it seems, and have stayed as far away from temp services as I could.

I have seen the results of other companies resorting to temp services first hand. Broken equipment, botched work, tons of headache with no gains for either party. The worker feels underpaid and used. The company gets no value for their dollar. At my last employer, I was hired in along with 3 temps. Two temps (one of which told me he was being paid minimum wage) were gone after about a month. The other guy was a complete idiot who found unique ways to screw up the simplest of tasks. What a joke that experiment proved to be, but I imagine those temp services are quite good at promising the sky. I wish they would go the way of the dodo.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
This right here is pretty much it. They will send someone with 1 year experience to do a job that requires at least five years. The reason is because they try to find the cheapest worker they can in most cases. If it came to finding a person with the right skillset, but requiring a higher wage, or finding someone willing to work for peanuts, they go with the cheapest worker. This is what happened in the example I described above. It cost my employer a lot of money and headache in the end, but the temp service made out quite well.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 AM

805 posts, read 1,011,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I recently applied/registered with a staffing agency for a position they had listed and went through the entire process, drug test, safety videos, etc. The staffing agent told me everything about the job including the name of the company. She presented it as if she was very sure that I would be selected for the job. The catch is (and this is becoming the trend with a lot of agencies) they forward your resume to the hiring company, the hiring manager at the company reviews your resume and then decides whether or not to select you for the interview.

Well she emailed me today and informed me that he did not select me due to not having any recent work experience (been unemployed for 2 years and the last job was through a temp agency) and then stated she figured that my employment gap would be a problem for her client (although no mention of this was made to me while at the office, otherwise I would not have wasted my time).

I am just disgusted after driving almost an hour one way to this temp agency, burning gas unnecessarily only to be told something I could have been told over the phone. I was always with the mindset that agencies were supposed to be the place to go for help while in between jobs, so now its a black eye with staffing agencies for having temporary jobs and having unemployment gaps. It's lose-lose either way.

Why do most companies omit this requirement (that you must have recent work experience within the last 6 months) from job listings? Wouldn't that save the job seekers' time as well as that of the hiring manager from having to review resumes in vain?
At least you didn't drive four hours one way for an interview at an employment agency only to have the interviewer tell you they preferred someone "who lives in the area." If that's how the interviewer feels, then they should have said that before the interview.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
Quote:
I recently applied/registered with a staffing agency for a position they had listed and went through the entire process, drug test, safety videos, etc. The staffing agent told me everything about the job including the name of the company. She presented it as if she was very sure that I would be selected for the job. The catch is (and this is becoming the trend with a lot of agencies) they forward your resume to the hiring company, the hiring manager at the company reviews your resume and then decides whether or not to select you for the interview.

Well she emailed me today and informed me that he did not select me due to not having any recent work experience (been unemployed for 2 years and the last job was through a temp agency) and then stated she figured that my employment gap would be a problem for her client (although no mention of this was made to me while at the office, otherwise I would not have wasted my time).

I am just disgusted after driving almost an hour one way to this temp agency, burning gas unnecessarily only to be told something I could have been told over the phone. I was always with the mindset that agencies were supposed to be the place to go for help while in between jobs, so now its a black eye with staffing agencies for having temporary jobs and having unemployment gaps. It's lose-lose either way.

Why do most companies omit this requirement (that you must have recent work experience within the last 6 months) from job listings? Wouldn't that save the job seekers' time as well as that of the hiring manager from having to review resumes in vain?
The old catch 22 eh. Need experience to get a job but how can I get experience if I am never hired.

My best guess is what you would have to do is either go back to school so at least college can explain gaps of unemployment (full course load etc...) or take up a minimum wage and or retail job for a few months then apply again to the temp agency. At least then you can yes, "Look I was employed for the past X months, I do have experience". Whether that experience actually lands you a job I don't know but at the very least the Temp agency recruiter can no longer say to you "Sorry you where not chosen because you have no experience" .

As to why the company omits the work experience part? My guess is at one time, even though you where unemployed for a bit the temp agency could still find you work, that a 3 month gap of unemployment was not death. Now however with the economy we are in, the job situation etc... that is no longer the case.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM

124 posts, read 194,579 times
Quote:
I went to one of those tech/career schools last year for medical billing and coding (you know one of those schools that advertise throughout the day and late at night). Complete scam and a waste of what little financial aid I have left. I completed the classroom portion of the program but when it came time for the externship they completely screwed me. Long story short they withdrew me from the program after telling me they were unable to find a site to complete my externship. I had been in constant contact with them and then all of a sudden I received a letter indicating I owed $3100 and that would have to be paid in order to complete the program. I sent letters and receiving no response, I even contacted the Better Business Bureau and the school did not respond to them. I just washed my hands because it became clear to me that was a smoke and mirrors kind of deal.

I am seriously considering going back to school (state school) since I am 7 credits away from my degree, it is just discouraging to see all of these other unemployed individuals with post secondary degrees who do not get anywhere.

With regard to the salary, I used to stay firm on the salary I believed I was worth but then I ran into dead ends and time going by with the employment gap increasing I just began to be open to whatever while remaining at a dead end.
Sorry to be off topic, but if you decide to go to a school for medical billing or coding do not do it through those 6 months schools. Make sure the school is accredited. Otherwise what happened to you will happen again. The Penn Foster type of schools are a bunch of scams. If you are interested in coding, please go to ahima.org where they have a list of schools for coding and they are accredited. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search