U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 AM
 
38 posts, read 63,955 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I know they are it was pretty much a last resort prior to expanding my job search outside of my state again. I usually look at the reviews for staffing agencies and they are usually negative but I have not yet used but this particular one but will warn the potential sucker.
Scorpioqueen, would you mind disclosing what line of work/career you'd prefer, if you actually had your choice in the matter? Next question is, is the type of job/career you want the same or different from your actual work history?

For instance, I love to write/compose/edit. It's what I went to college for in the late 70s (received a B.S. degree in "Communication Arts and Sciences" -- subtype: journalism -- as those students majoring in C.A.S. needed to pick a specialty, i.e., TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, books, movies, etc.). During my internships for two magazines in my final year, I realized that I did not enjoy the tasks assigned, nor did I enjoy the atmosphere in major publishing. Can you imagine, six months until graduation and a degree, and coming to the realization that I'd hate what I did for a living? I needed a new plan, and so fell-back on my high-school typing course. Armed with a 70 WPM accurate speed plus everything I learned in journalism, I worked three office jobs in succession before I found myself in the legal profession. (I'd answered a help-wanted ad for a public-sector job, while I was employed in a large private-sector life insurance firm in Manhattan.) You'd be surprised by how many people holding office jobs don't know how to think/write independently, or spell correctly, or use proper grammar. Those mundane "talents" put me head and shoulders above the other applicants, who'd actually had legal experience.

I've moved on from there, but I've remained in law. My current boss keeps encouraging me to attend law school, but I don't want to be an attorney -- I just want to be his "crucial subordinate." I do all the labor-intensive stuff he hates, while he goes to court and negotiates the setlements. I am the one who is hands-on with all our clients, and I like it that way. Until I retire, I want to keep doing what I am doing - helping injured people by using my writing skills. In my off-time I work on my book, which is a "cozy mystery" novel. (It will never get published by the likes of McGraw-Hill, but the creative process is great fun and I have many friends who are anxious to read it!)

Perhaps you might be able to use your own talents/skills in new ways, too. I know you said you'd take any honest job as long as it pays minimum wage, so you must be casting your net wide. This is a good thing. Perhaps you could explain the gap in your work history by stating you'd been trying to start your own company, and/or that you've been doing freelance work. There are places on-line such as Fiverr, Guru, and E-Lance, and while they don't pay much, they're real. You might even consider saying you took a temporary leave of absence from the work force to help someone do blah-blah-blah/something, and lived off your savings and the pittance they paid you to assist them... until now. It sucks especially when you find an ad for a job tailor-made to fit you, but you see the ad also states "unemployed persons need not apply."

Finally, yes, you should get back to class for those last 7 credits. It'd be a lovely entry on your resume, and that certainly couldn't hurt. Best wishes and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 AM
 
Location: PHL
288 posts, read 548,855 times
Reputation: 238
I just wished that Staffing agencies would respect their candidates just as much of their clients. It is too bad that none of them does things backwards. For example a phone interview so the recruiter could jot down some notes onto your resume then forward it to the company. If the company expresses any interest, then the recruiter would contact the candidate then call them in and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,827 posts, read 13,321,929 times
Reputation: 16006
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Okay so since you avoid the agencies and short of applying directly with the company, what else do you do? Are you currently employed?
I'm currently employed but it took me three years to get my job. In that time frame I've had to deal with quite a few of them. They have spread like a plague in my industry as companies like have another company between themselves and their science staff and being able to not give them benefits, pay them crap wages, and fire them with one phone call. I've pretty much determined that if anything happens to my current job I won't even bother in the field anymore.

I still get calls from them but I have no interest in dealing with their fake jobs, soft interview/cattle calls, pestering my references for no reason, and the jobs they do have are total crap with them siphoning 1/2 your pay. If I wanted 1/2 my pay siphoned I'd of fathered some illegitimate kids or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,185 posts, read 15,054,597 times
Reputation: 18249
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Staffing agencies are a joke. The only reason anyone uses them up here is to get illegal laborers without the risk of hiring them.
I suspected that also. The manufacturing jobs were being hired through the temp agency and paid $7.25 an hour. A few other employers are doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This right here is pretty much it. They will send someone with 1 year experience to do a job that requires at least five years. The reason is because they try to find the cheapest worker they can in most cases. If it came to finding a person with the right skillset, but requiring a higher wage, or finding someone willing to work for peanuts, they go with the cheapest worker. This is what happened in the example I described above. It cost my employer a lot of money and headache in the end, but the temp service made out quite well.
We have just become familiar with how the temp agency works and your appraisal is right on. If the person doesn't fit, they find a way to force it and the issue becomes that there is no chance the temp will be hired even though they term it "temp to hire". They also run people around to stall hoping that they can place them in time with another employer or in a lesser position when they become desperate. Sham!

And OP, I would contact the Attorney General's Office for your state concerning that school that you attended and if the school isn't in your state, they should be able to direct you to make a complaint to the state where the school is headquartered. The BBB isn't terribly useful. Ever consider joining the military? Maybe the Guard or Reserve? It is a way to jump start your life and the road that I chose without regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM
 
2,839 posts, read 4,999,634 times
Reputation: 3702
7 credits away? Hun go finish!

I'm sorry you got screwed by that company, my mom is going through that school and is the middle of her externship, BUT the school tried to screw her also. Luckily my mom isn't someone who is hurting for money, so she hired a lawyer and SUDDENLY all her problems at school disappeared. You have to take more action, there is no reason to say they can't place you!

Temp agencies aren't that bad, you just have to keep trying, I got my last job through a temp, and it didn't pay $10 an hour, it was almost double that, and it wasn't just a job that lacked a skill set. I did go through a temp that was more specialized for the science field though.

Craigslist is good too, don't discount them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
10,087 posts, read 13,131,257 times
Reputation: 3985
I used a staffing agency after I graduated to build up my resume, which lead to a real, full-time job a few years later. I worked with three agencies:

The first agency I worked with was decent enough, got me some crappy office gigs, one of which lasted a full 6 months and got me some decent experience.

After that 6 month gig, it seemed like their well dried up and I never got any more offers from them. Note that this was in 2008-2009, the bottom of the recession. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out of business.

The next place was completely and utterly useless (Beacon Hill Staffing in Boston). Called me literally every couple days with a potential job. This went on for months, and I never once actually got a job through them. Lots of promises and zero follow-through. They wouldn't even call me back to tell me I didn't get the position, just completely ignore me or leave it up to me to call and ask "what happened". I don't know what their deal was, if their recruiters were paid a commission or something. Just a massive waste of time and paperwork for me and them.

One thing to note is through all of this I was employed as a barista, so I never really had any employment gaps.

After a few months of barista-ing and getting these dead-end leads, I gave up on Beacon Hill and applied at what billed themselves as a "boutique agency" and was highly selective. I got selected. Every single job they told me about, I got it. I worked at MIT, Harvard, a respected architecture firm, a few PR firms and an advertising agency - those look great on your resume (in fact, the president of the firm is one of my references). Some of the jobs were boring reception jobs as a fill-in on vacation, while others were highly-skilled positions which I got to flex a few of my college-education muscles.

So all in all, it really comes down to the agency. It seems the vast majority are a complete waste of time, but if you are lucky (and work hard) like I did, sometimes you can come across a gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,178 times
Reputation: 12
I agree. Most employers want you to apply on line through and search engine, then an agent. Then the have the responsibility to weed out the people they don't want. Most of the time the "application" doesn't even get to the company. This isn't right. If the company doesn't want me, I want them to tell me, not some middle person. Half the time I don't get any responce at all, leaving me to wonder if my application even made it to the destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: PHL
288 posts, read 548,855 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I used a staffing agency after I graduated to build up my resume, which lead to a real, full-time job a few years later. I worked with three agencies:

The first agency I worked with was decent enough, got me some crappy office gigs, one of which lasted a full 6 months and got me some decent experience.

After that 6 month gig, it seemed like their well dried up and I never got any more offers from them. Note that this was in 2008-2009, the bottom of the recession. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out of business.

The next place was completely and utterly useless (Beacon Hill Staffing in Boston). Called me literally every couple days with a potential job. This went on for months, and I never once actually got a job through them. Lots of promises and zero follow-through. They wouldn't even call me back to tell me I didn't get the position, just completely ignore me or leave it up to me to call and ask "what happened". I don't know what their deal was, if their recruiters were paid a commission or something. Just a massive waste of time and paperwork for me and them.

One thing to note is through all of this I was employed as a barista, so I never really had any employment gaps.

After a few months of barista-ing and getting these dead-end leads, I gave up on Beacon Hill and applied at what billed themselves as a "boutique agency" and was highly selective. I got selected. Every single job they told me about, I got it. I worked at MIT, Harvard, a respected architecture firm, a few PR firms and an advertising agency - those look great on your resume (in fact, the president of the firm is one of my references). Some of the jobs were boring reception jobs as a fill-in on vacation, while others were highly-skilled positions which I got to flex a few of my college-education muscles.

So all in all, it really comes down to the agency. It seems the vast majority are a complete waste of time, but if you are lucky (and work hard) like I did, sometimes you can come across a gem.

I am still open to applying for a agency which is actually legit or seem more forthcoming about their intentions instead of having people drive way out of their way for basically nothing. I am baffled by the fact that you managed to get so many assignments, yet I am unable to get not a single assignment. I am not entirely too sure when this poor trend in employment agencies has begun, but it must have been fairly recent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
 
Location: On the aggravation installment plan...
501 posts, read 668,063 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by WychyWoman View Post
Scorpioqueen, would you mind disclosing what line of work/career you'd prefer, if you actually had your choice in the matter? Next question is, is the type of job/career you want the same or different from your actual work history?

Perhaps you might be able to use your own talents/skills in new ways, too. I know you said you'd take any honest job as long as it pays minimum wage, so you must be casting your net wide. This is a good thing. Perhaps you could explain the gap in your work history by stating you'd been trying to start your own company, and/or that you've been doing freelance work. There are places on-line such as Fiverr, Guru, and E-Lance, and while they don't pay much, they're real. You might even consider saying you took a temporary leave of absence from the work force to help someone do blah-blah-blah/something, and lived off your savings and the pittance they paid you to assist them... until now. It sucks especially when you find an ad for a job tailor-made to fit you, but you see the ad also states "unemployed persons need not apply."

Finally, yes, you should get back to class for those last 7 credits. It'd be a lovely entry on your resume, and that certainly couldn't hurt. Best wishes and good luck.

If I had a choice I would prefer working in a physician's office as a receptionist/office assistant (I have to get my money's worth from that fly by night school I attended last year) or work as an independent contractor, either doing delivery or something related to real estate. Yes the line of work I am seeking is different from my overall work history. For a career I would like to be a network programmer.

If I complete my degree it would be in Business Admin, if I return to school I would like to pursue computer science.

I really appreciate your advice, I may try those companies I may release some untapped talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
 
Location: On the aggravation installment plan...
501 posts, read 668,063 times
Reputation: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
I am still open to applying for a agency which is actually legit or seem more forthcoming about their intentions instead of having people drive way out of their way for basically nothing. I am baffled by the fact that you managed to get so many assignments, yet I am unable to get not a single assignment. I am not entirely too sure when this poor trend in employment agencies has begun, but it must have been fairly recent.
Unfortunately I think it will only get worse (as if that's possible), I have noticed when a new company opens they are circling the area like buzzards on a corpse trying to get the account in order to play gatekeeper to block out qualified individuals or those who actually will take the job seriously in order to obtain permanent status there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top