Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM

501 posts, read 800,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by music007 View Post
I agree. Most employers want you to apply on line through and search engine, then an agent. Then the have the responsibility to weed out the people they don't want. Most of the time the "application" doesn't even get to the company. This isn't right. If the company doesn't want me, I want them to tell me, not some middle person. Half the time I don't get any responce at all, leaving me to wonder if my application even made it to the destination.

I read somewhere that sites like m*****r and c****rb*****r play that role as well. They review your resume before forwarding it to the company that paid to place the job ad with them, if they do not believe you will be a fit your resume is trashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'm currently employed but it took me three years to get my job. In that time frame I've had to deal with quite a few of them. They have spread like a plague in my industry as companies like have another company between themselves and their science staff and being able to not give them benefits, pay them crap wages, and fire them with one phone call. I've pretty much determined that if anything happens to my current job I won't even bother in the field anymore.

I still get calls from them but I have no interest in dealing with their fake jobs, soft interview/cattle calls, pestering my references for no reason, and the jobs they do have are total crap with them siphoning 1/2 your pay. If I wanted 1/2 my pay siphoned I'd of fathered some illegitimate kids or something.
This is why I have decided not to post my resume on those job sites because you get unsolicited calls/emails from different schools or calls about fake jobs (after you go through the entire process with the phone interview and going to the office for a few hours to endure the registration process after its all said and done you're told "We'll call you if your skill set matches any upcoming jobs we have available."

Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And OP, I would contact the Attorney General's Office for your state concerning that school that you attended and if the school isn't in your state, they should be able to direct you to make a complaint to the state where the school is headquartered. The BBB isn't terribly useful. Ever consider joining the military? Maybe the Guard or Reserve? It is a way to jump start your life and the road that I chose without regret.

I thought about the Reserve some years back but one of the requirements is that you have to cannot have poor credit (I'm paraphrasing). Also the age of 40 is only across the street and a couple of houses down pointing and laughing at me.

With regard to contacting the Attorney General's office I will definitely pursue that since I have not gone anywhere with my previous avenues. I have checked my credit recently and do not see them on my credit report for any of the 3 bureaus.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Most of them are useless, based on my experiences.

Their "jobs" were always missing crucial details (the company, the actual job duties, the location - a state is not enough) and so on, and they rarely seemed to have any "openings" other than crummy contract work that would last a few months and require me to either move to commute 30+ miles each direction. And even if that wasn't enough, most of the "jobs" would mysteriously vanish or sit there for years while never being filled.

They are part of the reason everything is turning into contracting work, meaning that once good fields (STEM jobs, etc.) are now riddle with part-time work, contracting positions that pay horribly, and a complete lack of job security and break down in the system.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 PM

382 posts, read 664,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
Unfortunately I think it will only get worse (as if that's possible), I have noticed when a new company opens they are circling the area like buzzards on a corpse trying to get the account in order to play gatekeeper to block out qualified individuals or those who actually will take the job seriously in order to obtain permanent status there.
I remember being on one interview with an agency, I remember seeing like 20-30 people in cubicles calling companies up asking if they have any opened positions. This was a very small agency as well. Atleast I thought. I guess they are the new telemarkers.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Most of them are useless, based on my experiences.

Their "jobs" were always missing crucial details (the company, the actual job duties, the location - a state is not enough) and so on, and they rarely seemed to have any "openings" other than crummy contract work that would last a few months and require me to either move to commute 30+ miles each direction. And even if that wasn't enough, most of the "jobs" would mysteriously vanish or sit there for years while never being filled.

They are part of the reason everything is turning into contracting work, meaning that once good fields (STEM jobs, etc.) are now riddle with part-time work, contracting positions that pay horribly, and a complete lack of job security and break down in the system.
I'm sorry, but what are STEM jobs?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
I have become jaded with employment, not because I'm lazy but because of the sheer number of toxic people I have had to deal with while working or seeking work.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have become jaded with employment.
Unless you win the lottery or something similar be thankful you are getting a regular paycheck.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I recently applied/registered with a staffing agency for a position they had listed and went through the entire process, drug test, safety videos, etc. The staffing agent told me everything about the job including the name of the company. She presented it as if she was very sure that I would be selected for the job. The catch is (and this is becoming the trend with a lot of agencies) they forward your resume to the hiring company, the hiring manager at the company reviews your resume and then decides whether or not to select you for the interview.

Well she emailed me today and informed me that he did not select me due to not having any recent work experience (been unemployed for 2 years and the last job was through a temp agency) and then stated she figured that my employment gap would be a problem for her client (although no mention of this was made to me while at the office, otherwise I would not have wasted my time).

I am just disgusted after driving almost an hour one way to this temp agency, burning gas unnecessarily only to be told something I could have been told over the phone. I was always with the mindset that agencies were supposed to be the place to go for help while in between jobs, so now its a black eye with staffing agencies for having temporary jobs and having unemployment gaps. It's lose-lose either way.

Why do most companies omit this requirement (that you must have recent work experience within the last 6 months) from job listings? Wouldn't that save the job seekers' time as well as that of the hiring manager from having to review resumes in vain?

It's obviously a made up excuse since the company already received your resume before the interview.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,134 times
I know I am. I used to work with one several years ago and it was amazing! I did temp assignments while in college, and they kept me busy with quality jobs I loved. I then moved overseas for my spouse's work. Coming back, I immediately hooked back up with them (different state, but same company) and they've been awful. They don't give me work unless I beg, and it's low quality jobs that do not fit my needs. I have a Bachelor's, and they never bothered to ask me what it was, what sort of work I wanted, etc. They put me in an assigment I hated, and refused to let me out of it. I finally quit after hanging in there almost a year, and they refused to speak to me. Finally a new recruiter called me with a job just like it but less pay and further commute (after I said NO MORE call center jobs!) not only that but I wasn't even guaranteed a job - usually they call you, send you to the job. Lately you have to "apply" to the job, go on an interview, which I find odd, for a temp job a monkey could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search