U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 PM

501 posts, read 667,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Not only are employers wanting recent job experience, they also are specifying no job hoppers, criminal and credit checks, must live within 5 miles of job have reliable transportation (bus passes don't count), must be certified in ways that ONLY on the job experience will do, be avail for any shift and be subject to skill changes as well as last minute overtime and being sent home without pay.
I do not think it is right or fair to run credit checks on job seekers especially in this economy, but since the majority of my resume is with various temp agencies, employers still look at that as job hopping, I explain on the application/interview that it was a temporary job and the contract expired. But they treat it as if I am just walking away and blowing off the previous jobs. Also when asking for shift preference I always indicate I am available for any shift and that I have no preference and no criminal background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM

8,817 posts, read 13,309,481 times
Most HR people and especially staffing agencies employees I've met are nearly braindead. They have a book with a list of red flags that are very hard to overcome.

Too many jobs
ever been fired
resume gaps
and supervisor you've ever had have anything negative to say about you
poor gpa
bad credit

have any of the above or others and you are fighting an uphill battle with most of them. That is why I have few compunctions about faking, lying doing whatever you have to do to get past these gate keepers.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Most HR people and especially staffing agencies employees I've met are nearly braindead. They have a book with a list of red flags that are very hard to overcome.

Too many jobs
ever been fired
resume gaps
and supervisor you've ever had have anything negative to say about you
poor gpa
bad credit

have any of the above or others and you are fighting an uphill battle with most of them. That is why I have few compunctions about faking, lying doing whatever you have to do to get past these gate keepers.
Its impossible to prevent or change the aforementioned bolded items, I know someone mentioned in another thread about some company you can pay to contact your previous employers and they will report to you what was said, I don't remember the name. How do you get around gpa and former supervisors reading you for filth?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 PM

8,817 posts, read 13,309,481 times
GPA most places don't care a few years past graduation. Just don't put it down on your resume.

Bad reference from supervisor. Most places will only reveal titles and dates of employment or they risk a lawsuit (even if what they say is truthful someone call still sue and it costs a lot of money to deal with it). Have a reference service or a friend call posing as a checker and find out what they will say. If they are badmouthing you send a cease and desist letter to the ex supervisor and CC the HR department. Most often that will cause them to stop as there is no benefit to the company for bad-mouthing you and thus there is no justification for spending legal manpower dollars dealing with a potential suit about it.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM

287 posts, read 548,559 times
Older threads like this one gives me hope, though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-number-2.html

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Older threads like this one gives me hope, though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-number-2.html
Thanks for the link it is definitely a good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search