Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,310 times

Advertisements

Things have changed in the past decade or two with short-term temporary employment trends. I never had trouble finding temp assignments through these agencies. But that's when companies routinely got a temp in for vacation coverage, or if someone went out on leave. Now, they just "make do" with the employees they have until that person returns to work.

However, more and more companies are using agencies for temp-to-perm assignments, or just long-term contract work. Yes, it stinks that you've invested your time in something that didn't pay off, but so did the staffing agency. To recoup that, hopefully they can place you in the next available position.

What I'm getting peeved about is getting calls from placement agencies for jobs that I've already applied directly to the company. And conversely, they'll call me about a job and I'll say, go ahead and submit me... 2 days later I see the ad posted on the company's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM

501 posts, read 801,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Now recent work experience now counts as well ?!? Oh well there goes my hopes and dreams unless I create my own firm and compete against them!! Just another new fad that the "man" thrown into these requirements. Unbelievable. What's going to be next? McDonalds going to demand recent work experience to flip their burgers? Better yet a construction job which requires "recent" experience to lay bricks. The new/bad ideas never stop coming when it comes to job qualifications.

The job market is not getting much better and these companies has to stop being as picky. One thing which I know for sure is life has a weird sense of humor. Those who are picky wouldn't understand until they are face with a similar situation.

To the OP, do not worry about it. I have been on 11 "interviews" with recruitment firms so far. All you could really do is write the time off and continue living your life and not stress over it. Also remember to only go on interviews for jobs which you have applied for directly.

With regard to McDonald's I remember a couple of months ago, a McDonald's in New Hampshire or Massachusetts placed an ad for crew workers with a bachelor's degree. It got nationwide attention however they claimed it was a mistake. I personally believe they were testing it to see what type of responses they would get.

I rarely get any interviews directly with companies, recently I had a phone interview with one, the recruiter was actually chewing gum in my ear! Everything seemed fine, until she asked me what salary I was looking for. I responded by saying we are getting to know if we are a good fit for one another and I would like to discuss at a later date. I have not heard anything and doubt I will. Had I stated a salary (this was for a position for which I have extensive experience) I believe it would have been negative either way.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
This is what you do- get a job doing ANYTHING, even if it's "poop shoveler"

You put it on your experience, then go back to the temp agency and say "I have 'current" experience'" and if asked by the employer that is interviewing why you are doing poop shoveling when you have a degree or experience in whatever, you say "I had to take any job to pay the bills and make ends meet, but what I really want to do is work for a company like yours."

And BAM, you got the job.

That's what I did, lost a job last June (wow has a year passed?) and took a job in December basically doing something anyone could do, 6 weeks later found a better job. 3 months later got promoted.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I network, that is the best way to find jobs. There are a few recruiters that I have worked with in the past that are actually recruiters and do their jobs well, but the majority are worthless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
So again I ask, what do you do in addition to applying directly to the companies?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
This is what you do- get a job doing ANYTHING, even if it's "poop shoveler"

You put it on your experience, then go back to the temp agency and say "I have 'current" experience'" and if asked by the employer that is interviewing why you are doing poop shoveling when you have a degree or experience in whatever, you say "I had to take any job to pay the bills and make ends meet, but what I really want to do is work for a company like yours."

And BAM, you got the job.

That's what I did, lost a job last June (wow has a year passed?) and took a job in December basically doing something anyone could do, 6 weeks later found a better job. 3 months later got promoted.
I apply to fast food and retail and whatever else I can get my hands on. I tell perspective employers (staffing agencies included) I am available for any shift, part time or full time. The lowest pay I will accept is minimum wage. I do not get it, with every job I apply to online assessments are given (the ones that ask if you strongly agree, disagree, unsure), I have answered honestly, changed it up and still no luck. I apply for housekeeping jobs it does not matter I do not believe any job is beneath me.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:04 PM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
scorpioqueen, what is your highest degree?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
scorpioqueen, what is your highest degree?
high school, why?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 PM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
You could go back to school. That would make you more "recent" my issue is the experience in my chosen field. I have been getting some "direct" interviews though. Since you have experience perhaps you could choose a skill trade or something which could relate to your experience if you passionate enough about it. You mentioned your last job was through a temp agency. Thing is temp agencies I'd like say from what I have heard and read, they have become more of a "sales pitch" which often enough they would operate on a quota to fill their database full of "qualified" candidates who were deemed qualified for one of their jobs which they posted on their website. Problem is, often enough some agencies would fake jobs or would leave them open for six or more months. Way after the fact that they are filled. It may or may not have been unintentional but the result is the candidate loosing out on money and time as result. If you were to deal with another temp agency. Ask them to send over the job description to you via email before proceeding. You'll be shocked how many actually does that. Then do your research from there to see if you are truly or even remotely qualified or are they wasting your time.

For example, I had one recruiter who called me out of the blue about a position which required four years in a specialized accounting field. Problem is I barely have any experiences outside of taxes and even that it is more of a friend-to-friend base but I have the experience. Also be on the look out for reverse salary fixing as well. If you see that job posted for $20/hr. Do not considered taking that position for $7.25/hr. The agency would get a large sum amount of money from your hard work. Know your worth!!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You could go back to school. That would make you more "recent" my issue is the experience in my chosen field. I have been getting some "direct" interviews though. Since you have experience perhaps you could choose a skill trade or something which could relate to your experience if you passionate enough about it. You mentioned your last job was through a temp agency. Thing is temp agencies I'd like say from what I have heard and read, they have become more of a "sales pitch" which often enough they would operate on a quota to fill their database full of "qualified" candidates who were deemed qualified for one of their jobs which they posted on their website. Problem is, often enough some agencies would fake jobs or would leave them open for six or more months. Way after the fact that they are filled. It may or may not have been unintentional but the result is the candidate loosing out on money and time as result. If you were to deal with another temp agency. Ask them to send over the job description to you via email before proceeding. You'll be shocked how many actually does that. Then do your research from there to see if you are truly or even remotely qualified or are they wasting your time.

Also be on the look out for reverse salary fixing as well. If you see that job posted for $20/hr. Do not considered taking that position for $7.25/hr. The agency would get a large sum amount of money from your hard work. Know your worth!!
I went to one of those tech/career schools last year for medical billing and coding (you know one of those schools that advertise throughout the day and late at night). Complete scam and a waste of what little financial aid I have left. I completed the classroom portion of the program but when it came time for the externship they completely screwed me. Long story short they withdrew me from the program after telling me they were unable to find a site to complete my externship. I had been in constant contact with them and then all of a sudden I received a letter indicating I owed $3100 and that would have to be paid in order to complete the program. I sent letters and receiving no response, I even contacted the Better Business Bureau and the school did not respond to them. I just washed my hands because it became clear to me that was a smoke and mirrors kind of deal.

I am seriously considering going back to school (state school) since I am 7 credits away from my degree, it is just discouraging to see all of these other unemployed individuals with post secondary degrees who do not get anywhere.

With regard to the salary, I used to stay firm on the salary I believed I was worth but then I ran into dead ends and time going by with the employment gap increasing I just began to be open to whatever while remaining at a dead end.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Staffing agencies are a joke. The only reason anyone uses them up here is to get illegal laborers without the risk of hiring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search