U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM

1,166 posts, read 2,011,044 times

Advertisements

Scenario 1: Applied for a job with a company seeking my exact skill set and I when I got the call for an interview, I was asked (via email) when their vendor contract ended with their client and what range compensation was being offered. I was told that they don't discuss money until well into the interview process but they would have one of their managers, who they named, call me "this week" to fill in on the other job details before the face-to-face, about 1.5 hours from my house. Key for me was having something long-term so if their project ended in 6 months, I was not interested. They clearly did not want to make and details known to me prior but we did set a firm date and time for an interview two weeks away with the caveat that if they found someone else for the job in the interim they would cancel. The promised phone interview did not happen and when I took the initiative thoughtfully remind them I was expecting a call, they cancelled the interview saying "they meant to cancel earlier and was glad I called to remind them of that." So it looks like I would have made the trek at the appointed date/time and they would have had to say "OH...gee....we meant to cancel...so sorry you showed up!"

Scenario 2: Another company has a complex on-line testing/screen process then sends a 10 point situational ethics test, which I passed and was sent an email saying..."We are really impressed!" "Please..ASAP! call Ashley to schedule a phone interview" so I do. Ashley says she'll call back in an hour or two and doesn't. Well, its a sales position, so I took the initiative and sent her an email with my cell # and called her a 2nd time and again, she promised to call me back at a time certain and that time came and went, with no call from Ashley. Not even a call saying "I'm tied up, I will call you tomorrow" just nothing.

Scenario 3: Through Aerotek (agency) I get sent to an up and coming clean tech company and am given the names of the two people who will be interviewing and potentially hiring me. I do some diligence and find out that I am going to meet some people pretty high up on the food chain so I get their bios on line, google them up and make sure I know what I need to know to have a kick-butt interview. I bone up on all the company activity because I am really psyched to get the opportunity. Pumped. I get up early, get my pressed suit on and go the Corporate HQ. In the entry area, there is no one so I poke my head in around to the work space and about a minute later, someone sees me. "Can I help you?" he asks "Why, yes, sir you can I am here to meet with Joe Smith and Roger Jones about the Senior PM / Development Position!" (Long Pause) "Oh really....they are not in today...in fact they left on Monday for SF...but let me make a call....what was your name again?" So I am thinking its still before breakfast on the W coast but maybe they were going to teleconference with me. Nope. "I'm sorry sir, no one here know what this is about and you'll have to find your way out". I almost snapped. "SORRY???? I had this ALL SET with them, and I went through a pre-interview, had my college transcripts sent up, went through a backgound check, peed in a cup....and YOU"RE SORRY?!?!?!?". And I left. Then Aerotek called me about two hours later wanting to know how it went. I had five words for them, two of which were "It didn't".

Glad I am working and have a fairly tolerable job. Clearly, it's a buyers market and if you are looking for a job, this is what you have to put up with: Rude, unprofessional people who are only too happy to treat candidates like garbage.

I hear plenty of other stories about people being treated like this. Sad world we live in where people just think nothing of blowing you off.

Last edited by cwaggy; 06-07-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,620,619 times
That's nothing compared to one interview I went on.

I was interviewing with the partner of a small CPA firm and from the moment he walked in the door until he left the room, he did nothing but insult me. First of all, he showed up 40 minutes late. I started talking to him about what I had done at my previous job, yadda yadda, and then he asked me how many hours I billed during the year. I said "1600" and he gave me this nasty smirk and said "I billed 2000." Then he asked me stupid questions like what my favorite book was and where my favorite vacation destination was. I told him that I enjoyed going to the beach in Florida and he rolled his eyes at me. I told him I had been laid off after tax season at the CPA firm I had worked at and he responded with a nasty tone "were you dead weight?" Every other sentence that came out of his mouth was some kind of put down.

Then the ass hole partner left and a manager came in. The first thing I asked that guy was "what is turnover of staff like around here?" He told me that they were replacing about HALF of their staff accountants and that this happens every single year. I immediately stood up, said "thanks for your time," and walked out the door.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 06-07-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,895 posts, read 54,615,351 times
For every rude, unprofessional company you have experienced there are many more that are the opposite. Before I got my current position I interviewed with 4 different companies and never got the job but in every case appointments were kept, the interviewers were pleasant, and I was updated promptly. Since hired I have had two promotions and am now a hiring manager myself. I make sure that HR does the notifications promptly and they always do. i have hired 5 people so far, and every time I have had at least 2-3 candidates that either didn't show up at all or were late, in one case 45 minutes with no call or anything, so it works both ways. Needless to say that guy was not hired, he didn't apologize or offer an excuse.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM

12,653 posts, read 15,105,016 times
It's pretty common these days, from what I hear. I do believe in Karma - "what comes around will go around".

Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 13,326,227 times
One of the places I interviewed with that was rude to me was a big laboratory supplies distributor. I now pretty much run the lab where I work. Guess which company I've been redirecting supply purchases away from? One never knows how rude behaviour can come around and bite you.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,681,478 times
On average, in general, and with all other "YMMV" advisories provided: I suspect that rudeness in business is greatly influenced by lack of resourcing. If the returns counter at Macy's has four people working, and only three customers being served, walking up to the fourth I'm expecting a polite interchange. If the returns counter at Macy's has one person working, and there's a queue that I have to go through, by the time I get up to the counter, with three more people behind me at that point, I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't be surprised, if the overworked customer service rep is terse with me.

Of course, you can read that several different ways ... if they're rude, then maybe they're busy, with lots of business and therefore less of a chance you'll be caught up in an unexpected layoff a few months down the line. Or maybe it means that they're operating on a shoestring. Or maybe it means that they simply believe in the principle of working people to death.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,785,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's nothing compared to one interview I went on.

I was interviewing with the partner of a small CPA firm and from the moment he walked in the door until he left the room, he did nothing but insult me. First of all, he showed up 40 minutes late. I started talking to him about what I had done at my previous job, yadda yadda, and then he asked me how many hours I billed during the year. I said "1600" and he gave me this nasty smirk and said "I billed 2000." Then he asked me stupid questions like what my favorite book was and where my favorite vacation destination was. I told him that I enjoyed going to the beach in Florida and he rolled his eyes at me. I told him I had been laid off after tax season at the CPA firm I had worked at and he responded with a nasty tone "were you dead weight?" Every other sentence that came out of his mouth was some kind of put down.

Then the ass hole partner left and a manager came in. The first thing I asked that guy was "what is turnover of staff like around here?" He told me that they were replacing about HALF of their staff accountants and that this happens every single year. I immediately stood up, said "thanks for your time," and walked out the door.

Wow! What a jackass!

I've had a couple of bad interviews and one job I remember was at an investment company-I was interviewed 5 times-yes 5 times, each time was kind of a waste...managers were asking the dumbest questions (why did you move here, do you like it, what is your favorite part about this state)..I felt like I was on the travel channel...finally-no job, didn't even have the decency to call me..didn't hear a word..it was a waste of two months.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 AM

, Karma at work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
One of the places I interviewed with that was rude to me was a big laboratory supplies distributor. I now pretty much run the lab where I work. Guess which company I've been redirecting supply purchases away from? One never knows how rude behaviour can come around and bite you.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Yes, that has happened to me twice. Complete jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Wow! What a jackass!

I've had a couple of bad interviews and one job I remember was at an investment company-I was interviewed 5 times-yes 5 times, each time was kind of a waste...managers were asking the dumbest questions (why did you move here, do you like it, what is your favorite part about this state)..I felt like I was on the travel channel...finally-no job, didn't even have the decency to call me..didn't hear a word..it was a waste of two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or