U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 PM

25 posts, read 64,576 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated with a degree in accounting from a private university in the Northeastern US. It's a well-regarded program, with heavy recruiting from both the Big 4 accounting firms and many regional CPA firms.

Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those guys who got a Big 4 job. In short, I screwed up during the recruiting process. My interviewing skills sucked, I never had anyone take a look at my crappy resume, and hence, I never got anything. I applied for internships during junior year, got nothing, applied for full-time positions in senior year, and still got nothing.

As graduation approached, I started panicking a little bit. But then I started reflecting on why I have not been able to find a job. I realized that I needed to make myself a person that people wanted to hire. I had the career center look over my resume. I practiced interviewing and telling my story to people.

In late April, I started applying for jobs. I applied for 104 jobs, got precisely 15 phone screens, and 6 in-person interviews. I spent at least an hour a day on Indeed.com, looking for jobs applicable to my level of experience and education. I finally landed an offer - a position in accounts receivable at a medium-sized e-commerce company downtown. This only happened a few days ago, and I start next week.

Admittedly my salary is very low (I'm still planning on keeping my retail job on the side), but at least my career is starting to progress in a direction that I want it to. I was offered an equity stake in the company and reasonably good benefits.

I guess the moral of my story is that second chances do exist, and finding a good job in today's economy requires an enormous amount of persistence - if you want something, you must be willing to toil for it. Perhaps you might make it, perhaps you might not - but you must be willing to try, at least.

Last edited by Zenoctilles; 06-09-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,050,467 times
Congrats and good luck in your new career.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,203,760 times
Took me a year to get a job after graduating in a bad economy in Dec 1992. Started out at $10/hr too. I did ISO 9000 documentation.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 PM

287 posts, read 548,103 times
Congrats!!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,221 times
Congrats! Can you tell me how you landed that retail job, though? I could use some advice apparently.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Congrats! Can you tell me how you landed that retail job, though? I could use some advice apparently.
I applied last summer, when I couldn't get any internships... I was outgoing (without being too overbearing) throughout the entire process. And it's actually a good retail job too - excellent coworkers, excellent benefits (for a part-time retail job, that is).

Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM

503 posts, read 1,033,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoctilles View Post
I applied last summer, when I couldn't get any internships... I was outgoing (without being too overbearing) throughout the entire process. And it's actually a good retail job too - excellent coworkers, excellent benefits (for a part-time retail job, that is).
I've aced interviews I've had in the past but my main problem seems to be getting the interview now. I think it's mainly because of my x3 relocation and multiple jobs over 2 years when they look at my work history. Any tips around that?

I've had 10 interviews in my life. All of them went fantastic and the reason for rejection was always immediately apparent for the 3 that didn't take me.

7 were successful. Out of them, 6 actually offered me jobs on the spot. Only one called me a few days after the interview to ask when I could start.

1 interview was an outright rejection for a management trainee position. I had applied for that plus sales associate, but the regional manager told me he was actually looking for one seasoned manager to take over 2-3 stores and not just the one. He said he wanted to interview me in case something opened up in the future though.

2 were no response after the interview. One was an athletic retail store that gave a clear vibe that he didn't want to hire me because I wasn't an athlete, and the other was a retail clothing store notorious for only hiring men that were thin but muscular, and gay.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 26,552 times
Zenoctilles,

How did you work on your interviewing skills? It's hard for me to get past the interviewing stage.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient Dreams View Post
Zenoctilles,

How did you work on your interviewing skills? It's hard for me to get past the interviewing stage.
Instead of viewing the interview like a test, treat it like a date. You are trying to woo your interviewers into accepting you as a potential employee.

Ask yourself: How can I make myself the sort of person that employers want to hire? Every employer looks for something different - make sure you are ticking the right checkboxes as you interview. Make sure that you are speaking to the correct audience in terms of presenting yourself as someone they might want.

Knowing what they want is as easy as reading the job description or listening to them describing the role that they want to fill. Also, being friendly and not socially awkward helps.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM

287 posts, read 548,103 times
Was this through an agency or was this direct? Also what city and do you have any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search