Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM

12 posts, read 31,672 times

Advertisements

Congrats bro. I think keeping your retail job is smart.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low pay... almost everyone gets lowballed their first job. Work hard and build up your resume and connections.

Btw, are you planning to start studying for the CPA exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM

25 posts, read 73,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASTMODE BOB View Post
Congrats bro. I think keeping your retail job is smart.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low pay... almost everyone gets lowballed their first job. Work hard and build up your resume and connections.

Btw, are you planning to start studying for the CPA exam?
I missed the boat on public accounting as an undergraduate, but I really would like to get back into it if possible. I will be figuring out where to get my thirty credits and will study for the CPA exam.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM

382 posts, read 664,260 times
How do you like your new job so far?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Just goes to show that Degrees are not automatic entitlements to landing great jobs. So many people graduate from college and think because they have a silly little degree they will automatically be successful..
The issue is millennials (a bulk of the college graduates) were told by their elders that they declare any major and they would get a good paying job. I am tired of sounding like a broken record but when you are continually told a lie, you believe the lie and millennials were told this lie during school and from one account, this lie is still going on.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 73,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
How do you like your new job so far?
I start on Monday, actually.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM

382 posts, read 664,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is millennials (a bulk of the college graduates) were told by their elders that they declare any major and they would get a good paying job. I am tired of sounding like a broken record but when you are continually told a lie, you believe the lie and millennials were told this lie during school and from one account, this lie is still going on.
Well it sounds like a delayed trend -- back in the 1950s-1960s it used to be all about getting a high school diploma. In the 1960s and 1970s, there were a raise of people receiving them -the time when the "elders" were growing up. Then time became that a college degree would need to be the standard requirement in order to be successful. Of course it is utter bull**** as I know a lot of people without degrees who are making well over $100k in their career.

I do not care about the whole entitlement trend. I can not see anyone starting out with a job which pays $70k without any experience. That would be ridiculous. However, if there is a job which pays let's say $9/hr in my chosen field or something which relates or transfers into it. I would take it because I know it would open doors for me in the future.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Well it sounds like a delayed trend -- back in the 1950s-1960s it used to be all about getting a high school diploma. In the 1960s and 1970s, there were a raise of people receiving them -the time when the "elders" were growing up. Then time became that a college degree would need to be the standard requirement in order to be successful. Of course it is utter bull**** as I know a lot of people without degrees who are making well over $100k in their career.

I do not care about the whole entitlement trend. I can not see anyone starting out with a job which pays $70k without any experience. That would be ridiculous. However, if there is a job which pays let's say $9/hr in my chosen field or something which relates or transfers into it. I would take it because I know it would open doors for me in the future.
I am not condoning grads wanting 70K a year. I want a good paying job, working fast food or retail for minimum wage with part time hours is not a good paying job.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoctilles View Post
I missed the boat on public accounting as an undergraduate, but I really would like to get back into it if possible. I will be figuring out where to get my thirty credits and will study for the CPA exam.
Apply after a year or so! They will usually only hire young recent graduates for entry level!

I was getting a lot of interviews with mid sized CPA firms with just 4 months audit experience when the economy was good.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I've aced interviews I've had in the past but my main problem seems to be getting the interview now. I think it's mainly because of my x3 relocation and multiple jobs over 2 years when they look at my work history. Any tips around that?

I've had 10 interviews in my life. All of them went fantastic and the reason for rejection was always immediately apparent for the 3 that didn't take me.

7 were successful. Out of them, 6 actually offered me jobs on the spot. Only one called me a few days after the interview to ask when I could start.

1 interview was an outright rejection for a management trainee position. I had applied for that plus sales associate, but the regional manager told me he was actually looking for one seasoned manager to take over 2-3 stores and not just the one. He said he wanted to interview me in case something opened up in the future though.

2 were no response after the interview. One was an athletic retail store that gave a clear vibe that he didn't want to hire me because I wasn't an athlete, and the other was a retail clothing store notorious for only hiring men that were thin but muscular, and gay.
It shows you have no.....solidarity. You need to explain why you left otherwise interviewer will think, "hmm OK if I hire this guy great, but he has no loyalty. He'll leave the second he gets a better offer." I wouldn't bring it up in the interview unless they ask, but IMO if you go over your resume it'll scream disloyalty. You need to present your resume in a way it does not shout it.

There is no getting around it as you have dates and numbers don't lie. All you can do is make sure not to focus on it and when the interviewee asks why you job hop, say xyz. The explanation should be swift, concise, and most importantly amicable. Leaving on good terms puts a nice touch to it.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:07 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
It shows you have no.....solidarity. You need to explain why you left otherwise interviewer will think, "hmm OK if I hire this guy great, but he has no loyalty. He'll leave the second he gets a better offer." I wouldn't bring it up in the interview unless they ask, but IMO if you go over your resume it'll scream disloyalty. You need to present your resume in a way it does not shout it.

There is no getting around it as you have dates and numbers don't lie. All you can do is make sure not to focus on it and when the interviewee asks why you job hop, say xyz. The explanation should be swift, concise, and most importantly amicable. Leaving on good terms puts a nice touch to it.
Whenever it's been brought up during an interview I've had no issue explaining myself (and each time I've been met with positivism and understanding on the situations for the short term jobs.)

The real question is how can I implement those explanations into my resume without looking unprofessional? It seems rather out-of-the-norm for a resume to say "resigned due to relocation for family emergency" and the like next to each job. Would they really care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search