U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Good points, jaypee!

Well as to the first point, I addressed that already...and I was specific about "per hour" and not "I am taking bids for projects." As I said, the one person who wanted me to simply refer him for jobs is not getting that. I am looking at this point to hire someone for a more-than-fair hourly compensation, nothing more and nothing less.

As far as years of experience...in this trade that's subjective. Someone who has 30 years experience doing commercial and new builds is probably no more good to me than someone who has 3 years doing custom interiors. That is why I asked for "level of experience", hoping that folks would elaborate.

Third point - YES. Well, I wish I could be more specific but given the nature of this trade I can't and I am not going to make promises I cannot keep. I think that anyone who is experienced in the trades understands this dynamic. Also this is highly seasonal work; also something anyone in the skilled trades realises. And why I stated in my ad that I would hope to keep someone busy "through the summer" because once winter hits here things tend to screech to a halt.

I just took on a new client - a design and architectural services company - who at this point loves me and is scheduling all sorts of future work for me. This is on top of a couple of builders and many private clients that I do work for. So I would LOVE to be able to guarantee full-time work for a couple more people but the nature of the trades...it's capricious and unstable. So I am trying to be honest and not blow smoke up anyone's ash.

That is one reason I am looking for someone GOOD and competent; someone who can work independently. That way I can keep both my current and future clients happy with high-quality work and if I keep all my clients happy, then: more work for everyone.
My point is that the more specific info and expectations you present upfront, the better the quality of the responses. The way your ad is, everyone from experienced (high rate) painters to handymen looking for temporary gigs will be tempted to reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fair hourly compensation" ... you offer what you can offer and it's up to the respondents to determine whether that's fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,363,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
My point is that the more specific info and expectations you present upfront, the better the quality of the responses. The way your ad is, everyone from experienced (high rate) painters to handymen looking for temporary gigs will be tempted to reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fair hourly compensation" ... you offer what you can offer and it's up to the respondents to determine whether that's fair.

That is a very good point and thank you for that insight.
I think I will delete the ad at this point and renew it later if need be with more specific hourly pay parameters.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
You can simply edit the ad you have ... or the other option is to looking into the CL-Services section and contact some of the painters advertising there.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,715,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
In what way?

I'm not arguing your point, BTW! I've bought and sold stuff on CL for years and realise it's sort of a cesspool; that's another reason I didn't put my phone number or name out there.

I really hesitated to post the ad in the first place but I've now had three people respond who seem legit and sincere.

And so far none who appear to be scammers or are sending me stupid links....trust me I have run into that too!
well it was more alwaysflyin who said it than you (which is why i quoted them), but:

"I just posted this because I see threads on here about how scammy CL is (and indeed it can be) but from my limited experience in looking for people to work, respondents, at least in my field and based on one day's worth of responses, are not necessarily putting forth much effort."

as you pointed out, you might be getting less responses because people are wary of replying to a scam post.

but what the quote above seems to imply is that craigslist isn't as scammy as people think, it's just that applicants aren't putting in the effort. and that just doesn't make any sense. if someone doesn't get a response from a craigslist ad, that's actually pretty much proof positive that it was a real ad! everyone gets a response from the scammers! the amount of effort people do or don't put into applying to a job on cl doesn't have any bearing on how many scammers there are.

i haven't heard much about scammers responding to job ads, so it's not surprising that you didn't get any. there's just no angle for them to work there. scammers tend to place job ads, and respond to for sale ads. i think they both place and respond to personal ads.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You can simply edit the ad you have ... or the other option is to looking into the CL-Services section and contact some of the painters advertising there.
<shudders>

Have you ever tried to hire someone off of CL services?
At the height of the construction season, anyone advertising services on CL is likely to be lousy or just starting out. Or perhaps unlucky.
Any halfway decent trades people are already booked at this time of year.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM

287 posts, read 548,232 times
What do you consider "experience" though. Does that include training at a trade school? Perhaps there are "qualified" people out there and saw your CL post, but they get scared when they read the word "experience". Such as they need at least x amount of years experience.

btw, I like the new listing!!

Last edited by Merchant_ZZZ; 06-10-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,574,050 times
As for the issue of people not reading and not following instructions, I once posted a Craigslist ad in the "resume / jobs wanted" section. NOT offering employment, but looking for employment.

About 75 people sent me their resumes.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,014,541 times
Years ago, I advertised for a helper to assist with some of my maintenance work. The e-mails were a joke and the people who actually showed up were nothing short of the peanut gallery. I don't think craigslist is the place to look for actual reliable help.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Years ago, I advertised for a helper to assist with some of my maintenance work. The e-mails were a joke and the people who actually showed up were nothing short of the peanut gallery. I don't think craigslist is the place to look for actual reliable help.
Well, we will find out!
One of the two people who sent articulate emails plus a resume is going to work with us today. I talked to her for about 45 minutes on the phone yesterday and she sounds like she knows her stuff and has the right sort of experience.
The other person who sent a nice email and resume is young - only 19 - and doesn't have the experience for the job we're on right now but I also talked to him on the phone and hope I can give him some work over the summer. He sounded very personable and eager and has spent summers working for Habitat for Humanity through high school and is starting college. I like initiative.
I emailed a couple of the other more promising-sounding people back thanking them and saying I would keep their contact info.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM

820 posts, read 1,367,445 times
I agree it depends on the area. Around here the ads work and there is not much scam. We have gotten real jobs out of CL. But we might move and I was looking at another area and it's a circus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or