U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,292,048 times
Reputation: 2357

Advertisements

I am very motivated to leave my job/relocate and have been actively interviewing.

I went through four interviews at one large organization and am fairly confident of a job offer in Department A. Last Thursday I got an email from the hiring manager saying that they are "finalizing my references" and that they plan to be in touch "early next week" (which is today.)

I was expecting their call, and got a phone call this morning from Department B in the same organization. I had applied to Department B around the same time as Department A. There is no communication between the two as one is in a different location and handled by another HR team.

I let the second department know that I had interviewed multiple times with Department A and was expecting to hear something soon, but that I was willing to interview. I scheduled something for Friday so that I can have a little extra time to hear from Department A.

Add to this that I had an interview with an entirely different organization yesterday and it went pretty well, too. The hiring manager said she wants to make a decision this week, and I should hear by Thursday if they want me to meet leadership and move forward.

So what is my next step here? All of these jobs involve a move, and I put in an application at an apartment in the city where these jobs are located. They want me to sign a lease which of course I won't do until I have a firm offer. Should I tell Department A that I was called to interview with Department B? Should I just wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,745,169 times
Reputation: 4944
i would just wait. it's good that you told department b that you're close to a decision from department a - they might move things along a little faster if they're interested in you, or cut you loose sooner if they know they're not going with you. but i don't see any reason department a needs to know that department b is interviewing you unless they ask, or if dept b is getting close to an offer and you haven't heard from dept a yet.

the timing of this stuff, finding a place to live, etc, is nerve-wracking but i can't think of anything that can be done about that.

good luck, things sound really good, but keep applying for jobs!

also, for science, how did you handle the fact that you're from out of town in your applications? were you open about it, did you use a local address, or something else? since that seems to come up a lot here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,973 posts, read 54,735,596 times
Reputation: 31356
Wait a while, things happen and department A may reconsider, in fact, they probably already know about B. I have had this happen where I interviewed someone that had already been interviewed by another, and went with someone else. My selection was a little better suited but being familiar with the other job, knowing it paid a bit more, and that she was better suited to it than my opening, the decision was the best for all parties and the company. She did get the other department job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,079 posts, read 8,476,658 times
Reputation: 15719
At this point it is likely that dept a and b have spoken to one another to compare notes. This will not help or hinder your search, but you should be aware that internal departments, even in large organizations, will talk about candidates if they know about situations like yours.

I would simply sit tight and wait to hear from A. If they offer you the position, and pay/benefits are acceptable to you, go accept it. Stalling A to see what happens with B is likely to backfire.

Option C is just a wonderful backup in case A and B fall through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,292,048 times
Reputation: 2357
Thanks, All.

I work for the federal government: we are prohibited from discussing candidates internally when they are in this situation. The job offer process is very bureaucratic and the delay does not necessarily indicate that they aren't going with me. Federal hiring is notoriously slow. I was feeling very confident, but with every day that passes, I have to keep reminding myself that the process is cumbersome.

I wouldn't stall Department A. They are my first choice. I was more asking from a courtesy standpoint-- should I let them know that another department has called to interview? I was hoping this would light a fire under A!

And, working for the fed, we can't take into consideration where someone lives if they are qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,292,048 times
Reputation: 2357
Okay, so here is an update.

Still no word from Department A. Friday will be two weeks from my last interview. Today is a week from my last contact.

In the meanwhile, Option C (the place I interviewed on Monday) is flying me up this coming Monday to meet the Secretary (this is a positon in the federal government at a Cabinet level agency). The hiring manager said "We would not be doing this unless we were serious" because I have to take the day off to do this from my current job.

I have a friend/mentor who used to work for Option C and got her feedback on all this. She thinks that Option C are very serious and said to tell Department A in order to light a fire under them or get their "thanks but no thanks" response. She also said to let them know about Friday's interview with Option B in the guise of "I wouldn't want to go through the motions if there is an offer pending with you."

Of the three choices, Department A position seems like the best fit culturally, Option C has potential for more money, and Department B is unknown. Department A offers more skill building as far as leadership responsibilities, but Option C is a very highly visible subject matter expert type role.

What do you think? Should I alert Department A to these new developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM
 
7,422 posts, read 13,745,169 times
Reputation: 4944
i'd give them til at least a week after they said they'd get back to you (so next monday at the earliest) and then let them know that you have several things in the works but are still very interested in them and you were wondering if they could give you an updated timeline. i'm a little hesitant about mentioning the other leads, unless they get closer to offers as well, but it's up to you.

it sounds like you could potentially be happy in all of these so the only reason i'd lean toward department a is because you're the furthest along in the process with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM
 
371 posts, read 622,619 times
Reputation: 375
Have you doubled back and checked with your references to see when Department A contacted them? That may give you an idea of where a potential process hang up may be occurring. Maybe they didn't get all the information in a timely manner; otherwise, maybe they are re-evaluating. In any case, whether or not you choose to disclose your other options to Department A, you have the right to check in with them and see where things are in the process given the expectation they've given you. (i.e. I was expecting to hear something by early this week. Is there anything I can do to facilitate things? Is there any additional information you need in order to make a decision? etc.)

You want to try not to be pushy, but you want to keep your contact warm. You want the right information to make a career and life-changing decision. You just have to decide if you want to wait until after your other interviews before you talk to Dept A again because you have to balance being ready to make a decision with the timing of receiving the offer.

First world problems eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: In the city
1,581 posts, read 3,292,048 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Have you doubled back and checked with your references to see when Department A contacted them? That may give you an idea of where a potential process hang up may be occurring. Maybe they didn't get all the information in a timely manner; otherwise, maybe they are re-evaluating. In any case, whether or not you choose to disclose your other options to Department A, you have the right to check in with them and see where things are in the process given the expectation they've given you. (i.e. I was expecting to hear something by early this week. Is there anything I can do to facilitate things? Is there any additional information you need in order to make a decision? etc.)

You want to try not to be pushy, but you want to keep your contact warm. You want the right information to make a career and life-changing decision. You just have to decide if you want to wait until after your other interviews before you talk to Dept A again because you have to balance being ready to make a decision with the timing of receiving the offer.

First world problems eh?

Haha, yes. I am starting to feel really lucky about my position in all of this. Its nice to be wanted!

I reached out to Department A, and they responded that someone should be contacting me today. Now I am wondering if I should still go through with the interview on Monday with the other org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM
 
371 posts, read 622,619 times
Reputation: 375
Update when you can, OP. I'm interested in the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top