U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM

8,840 posts, read 13,338,500 times

Advertisements

Do not tell recruiters who your managers were or where you are interviewing. Only give references after they send you to an interview for a bonafide job.

There has been countless posts on this forum about their slimy tactics.

Even then I'd be cautious. I had one slimeball agency (the LaSalle Network) lure me into their office on a Friday afternoon driving 20 miles each way in bad traffic for a "permanent job." When I got there I got the usual shtick fill out the app, give your references, we'll find you a job for sure and I never heard from them again and that job was never mentioned again. Ruined my afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,870,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Do not tell recruiters who your managers were or where you are interviewing. Only give references after they send you to an interview for a bonafide job.

Even then I'd be cautious. I had one slimeball agency (the LaSalle Network) lure me into their office on a Friday afternoon driving 20 miles each way in bad traffic for a "permanent job." When I got there I got the usual shtick fill out the app, give your references, we'll find you a job for sure and I never heard from them again and that job was never mentioned again. Ruined my afternoon.
Sounds like what I went to today. I really thought this recruiter had an opportunity for me since she said my resume was impressive and I was a strong candidate.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM

177 posts, read 475,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Wow what a horrible experience and I am sorry to hear you get to go thru this and waste the afternoon.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Sounds like what I went to today. I really thought this recruiter had an opportunity for me since she said my resume was impressive and I was a strong candidate.

I am starting to believe that just tell you that.. to give you lots of hope...
They tell me this all the time too, your resume and work history look so good... very impressive.. yadayada...

Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 PM

That's just horrible that thats how they operate. Well, I am in the IT industry and unfortunately a lot of jobs that I am applying for go thru Staffing Firms. I guess from now on, I need to be smart and careful about it.
And I can see now why this coffee dude was so anxious on getting my references.
I was at another agency not to long ago.. and he did the same thing, asked for references and called them. He told me he had to do this before submitting my resume. I never thought anything of it. He did try to help me for a bit... but it did not lead anywhere.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM

79 posts, read 199,406 times
Excuse my cynicism, but yes, I'm convinced it has to do with quotas. I registered with one agency, and each week was getting a call from the person i had had my 'intake' interview with. I thought 'great, at least they are interested'. We would chat for a few minutes, she would ask how my search was going etc. After about the fifth call I realized what she was doing...writing down on her weekly report that she had contacted me. That was the entire purpose of the call. She never offered me any work, btw. In the same way that the unemployment department requires one to look for work (and submit proof of it), her boss probably required her to contact candidates. It was a complete waste of my time. The other thought I had was that she may well have been making a special point to call me as I was an 'older worker'. Contacting me was legal protection, in other words against any possible claims that they weren't seriously looking to place me given my age.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM

8,840 posts, read 13,338,500 times
Yep I vowed never to go to one of their cattle call soft interviews again but that lousy agency lied and said they had a perm job.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 AM

Well yesterday I talked to another old colleague of mine - he is also unemployed and currently on his second Tier collecting... he said to me... No Mosela use them like they use you, you never know where your new job is coming from ... urghgh.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM

5,279 posts, read 5,199,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hols36 View Post
Excuse my cynicism, but yes, I'm convinced it has to do with quotas.

I think so as well. I have had numerous staffers/recruiters call me, e-mail me, etc. And since they usually e-mail me, I usually e-mail them back. I've actually had recruiters call AND e-mail me immediately after when I do not pick-up the phone.

I have not had a single one return an e-mail. It seems like they just make contact and then step back. I've never even really spoken to one on the phone. And I've had the same exact thing happen from various recruiting companies.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM

10,082 posts, read 14,063,746 times
I have a funny one. I interviewed with a major high tech company about 2 months ago. The bimbo recruiter tells me everything looks great and she will def. give me feedback. 3 weeks go by and she asks me to apply for a different job and send resume. I said you already have it, and where is my feedback, boo hoo she never responded LOL. Then the same dysfunctional company just called me for another job and now I have to do another phone screen with bimbo LOL. Let's see if she is so stupid to forget my e-mail. The first bozo that phone screened me broke so many EEOC violations I am thinking of reporting them.

1. Are you are US citizen-illegal
2. What year did your graduate-illegal trying to find out who hold I am

13 Illegal Interview Questions: Do You Know What To Do? | Interns Over 40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search