U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM

287 posts, read 548,497 times

Advertisements

Change the strategy a bit. Obviously the staffing firms are not working for you. I would suggest that the only course of action and keep checking up on the agencies which you have already applied to already. Then revise your resume to something that makes you look "employable" then apply directly to the companies from now on.

Gaps on resume is like a cavity on teeth, unfortunately. fill it in with something! Some may disagree but what more can a person do? Either adapt or get left behind is how I look at it.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 13,305,626 times
Invent a fake job to fill the gap. Try using a bankrupt company.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM

177 posts, read 474,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Invent a fake job to fill the gap. Try using a bankrupt company.
but, there is not really a gap - my employment history is been solid since 1996. I stay at jobs for several years, some companies got bought out so I left, others were long term contract jobs that I left for perm jobs.
The gap that he is referring too is that I been unemployed since the end of November of 2012
I don't think that's that long, so why should I make up a fake job ....

Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
Change the strategy a bit. Obviously the staffing firms are not working for you. I would suggest that the only course of action and keep checking up on the agencies which you have already applied to already. Then revise your resume to something that makes you look "employable" then apply directly to the companies from now on.

Gaps on resume is like a cavity on teeth, unfortunately. fill it in with something! Some may disagree but what more can a person do? Either adapt or get left behind is how I look at it.

Good luck to you!
Actually that's what I been doing - I been applying to companies directly. They do call me, and I been interviewing.. etc. but I guess there is to many people applying for the same job.
I came very close last week on landing a job at a major car rental company, it was a perm job... I was in the final 3. Went back for second round of interviews, went very well..... they picked the other candidate. Oh well

Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM

For once I have good news to report about the staffing agencies.
I did land 2 job interviews this week thru agencies. The agencies were out of state, and the 2 guys that I talked to were very nice. They did not ask for references up front but they did get me interviews at a major investment firm and the other one got me an interview for a position with the government. So there is hope with the staffing agencies

Old 07-14-2013, 06:26 PM

8,815 posts, read 13,305,626 times
Good job. When agencies have had real job they wanted to fill they were never shy about calling and emailing me despite my not having given them references up front or going to one of their stupid soft interviews. When they start asking you to stop by their office and give references with no job on the table they are just jerking you around and trolling for your contacts.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 AM

457 posts, read 508,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I work in the IT industry for the last 15 years, doing Technical/IT Support. My resume is solid and so is my work history.
Currently I am unemployed since November, looking for a job etc.
My resume is posted everywhere from Monster to Indeed to CareerBuilder. I get a lot of calls and emails regarding my resume etc. most of them from consulting firms/staffing firms.
Yesterday another well known IT Consulting Firm called me, went over my resume from top to bottom told me about potential opportunities blaabla, they also asked me odd questions about my former jobs/ companies who the managers are, interviews I had etc.
Ok the recruiter said, let me email you the info etc. Good bye.
I NEVER heard back from them, infact this is the second person from this consulting firm that is doing that to me.
I also had a couple other firms do similar things... and then I never heard back from them. Is this normal ? Do they just make random calls ? Are they calling just to meet their numbers ? Are they really a waste of time ?
YES.

What I usually get is excitement and interest over my resume, education and skills, invited to the interview, and then when I show up, every reaction from shock to rolling the eyes to jaw-drop that I'm not WHITE. And then the hemming and hawing and the "thanks for stopping by" interview that only educated minorities get. I guess now in this economy (this has been happening to me since the 90's) that white people are getting this treatment too, and sometimes after a phone interview in which they can't tell your skin color, now it's starting to be a "problem" in society. Welcome to the Rez. Welcome to the world of the Native American/Black/sometimes Latino. Nowadays the job market is doing the same thing to Whites that it has historically reserved for only Minorities. How do you like "our world" so far - sucks, doesn't it? I've been treated like that MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
YES.

What I usually get is excitement and interest over my resume, education and skills, invited to the interview, and then when I show up, every reaction from shock to rolling the eyes to jaw-drop that I'm not WHITE. And then the hemming and hawing and the "thanks for stopping by" interview that only educated minorities get. I guess now in this economy (this has been happening to me since the 90's) that white people are getting this treatment too, and sometimes after a phone interview in which they can't tell your skin color, now it's starting to be a "problem" in society. Welcome to the Rez. Welcome to the world of the Native American/Black/sometimes Latino. Nowadays the job market is doing the same thing to Whites that it has historically reserved for only Minorities. How do you like "our world" so far - sucks, doesn't it? I've been treated like that MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE.
I am sorry you feel this way but I think skin color does not have anything to do with this.
If you can do the job, its does not matter who and what you are.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM

673 posts, read 708,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I work in the IT industry for the last 15 years, doing Technical/IT Support. My resume is solid and so is my work history.
Currently I am unemployed since November, looking for a job etc.
My resume is posted everywhere from Monster to Indeed to CareerBuilder. I get a lot of calls and emails regarding my resume etc. most of them from consulting firms/staffing firms.
Yesterday another well known IT Consulting Firm called me, went over my resume from top to bottom told me about potential opportunities blaabla, they also asked me odd questions about my former jobs/ companies who the managers are, interviews I had etc.
Ok the recruiter said, let me email you the info etc. Good bye.
I NEVER heard back from them, infact this is the second person from this consulting firm that is doing that to me.
I also had a couple other firms do similar things... and then I never heard back from them. Is this normal ? Do they just make random calls ? Are they calling just to meet their numbers ? Are they really a waste of time ?
It's most likely one of 2 things: the recruiter is pumping you for contact information at prior employers in order to drum up business for his agency there. The other is an anticipated need at a client. They stockpile resumes of potential candidates should the requisitions be approved and funded. Neither scenario does the candidate any good. A couple of years ago, I was working a contract job for a telecomm company. Another one of the contractors used to do phone screens for her agency after hours. Sometimes she would interview 25 - 30 people in the course of a month; NONE of the people she interviewed were even submitted to the client let alone interviewed or hired by the client.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM

326 posts, read 418,772 times
Does anyone have experience with Randstad Staffing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search