U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM

177 posts, read 474,872 times

Advertisements

I work in the IT industry for the last 15 years, doing Technical/IT Support. My resume is solid and so is my work history.
Currently I am unemployed since November, looking for a job etc.
My resume is posted everywhere from Monster to Indeed to CareerBuilder. I get a lot of calls and emails regarding my resume etc. most of them from consulting firms/staffing firms.
Yesterday another well known IT Consulting Firm called me, went over my resume from top to bottom told me about potential opportunities blaabla, they also asked me odd questions about my former jobs/ companies who the managers are, interviews I had etc.
Ok the recruiter said, let me email you the info etc. Good bye.
I NEVER heard back from them, infact this is the second person from this consulting firm that is doing that to me.
I also had a couple other firms do similar things... and then I never heard back from them. Is this normal ? Do they just make random calls ? Are they calling just to meet their numbers ? Are they really a waste of time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,047,183 times
This is the new norm. You are no longer a person that deserves any respect you are simply a cog in the machine. You fit great you might have a chance. You don't you go down the sucking vortex. And god forbid if you question the recruiter, like I did, why they never followed up when they said they would twice because now I am probably blacklisted with that company.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Yea well, they made my blood boil today and I sent a friendly email to their suggestion email address.
In a matter of no time, I had the president email me apologizing.. and shortly after that .. the recruiter.
Waste of time - I think.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:39 PM

7,418 posts, read 11,579,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I work in the IT industry for the last 15 years, doing Technical/IT Support. My resume is solid and so is my work history.
Currently I am unemployed since November, looking for a job etc.
My resume is posted everywhere from Monster to Indeed to CareerBuilder. I get a lot of calls and emails regarding my resume etc. most of them from consulting firms/staffing firms.
Yesterday another well known IT Consulting Firm called me, went over my resume from top to bottom told me about potential opportunities blaabla, they also asked me odd questions about my former jobs/ companies who the managers are, interviews I had etc.
Ok the recruiter said, let me email you the info etc. Good bye.
I NEVER heard back from them, infact this is the second person from this consulting firm that is doing that to me.
I also had a couple other firms do similar things... and then I never heard back from them. Is this normal ? Do they just make random calls ? Are they calling just to meet their numbers ? Are they really a waste of time ?
I'm getting calls from them too again. I'm not looking for what they are offering though.

I think things are starting to pick up again (don't know about IT) at least in my field, so they are feeling out a number of candidates for single positions.

Used to be, they would call me, ask me for my resume, and then later in the day set up an interview for later in the week.

Things were a little better back then. Might explain why they are being flaky.

I really can't complain about headhunters. They have helped me land a couple of jobs and many more interviews through the years, and are basically completely on your side. You are the one who decides whether they get to eat.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM

well, they have helped me to in the past - I landed some great positions thru them ..... but this was like 3-5 years ago.
These days, in the last 6 months that I really been looking, they been really really flaky, in some cases like this week, don't get back to me etc. I find that very unprofessional.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,733,829 times
Welcome to the new abyss

Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Its horrible - I feel like a broken record talking to them now.... so tell me about yourself ?
One of those days.. I am going to explode and say......... look at my !@#$% resume.. isn't it in front you ... haha

Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM

287 posts, read 548,790 times
I feel pretty much the same way. They all seem to be stuck on stupid. Obviously my resume is right in front of them. What else am I going to say?? I like chocolate...

Plus the in-person interview could had been taken care of over the phone. Not have people waste their time and money on something that likely is not going to happen. I also can not stand people saying that agencies are a good way blah blah.Obviously that person never dealt with a agency recently.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM

570 posts, read 1,507,006 times
if their clients like your resume, they will call you back. Otherwise they will not call you back.
But they can get you into big companies and good positions that's not available on the street.

Sometimes I got call from three different companies for the same position for that client. lol

Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM

287 posts, read 548,790 times
I agree that they tap into the hidden job market, but why ignore further contact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search